VOLT = 41k, bring them to TEXAS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:49 PM
Banned

The only way I see these cars becoming a hit would be through the use of Nuclear FUSION reactors to produce the electricity...
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by White_lightning
I bought a used 07 4 banger accord for 12k.. It averages 33mpg...
Cool, man. I paid $5,900 for my 17k original mile Buick Regal GS last summer that get's 30mpg on the highway. So by your reasoning, you're the dumbass for paying $12k for a used Accord that gets 3mpg better.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

interesting reading. and i agree that even though it costs less to operate then any say "civi" the price difference *the volt is not loaded* is like 20k. you will have to drive that thing for like 40 years. so as others have said it's a fail for anyone who drives.

If your like 5 miles to your work then it's ok I guess, but still so you don't EVER use gas and just use electricity it still takes 20 years to make up the difference.

Once again, looks like a fail to me....

It's cool and it is a step in the right direction, but I'd rather have a tesla type 2 and get 300 miles per charge at 50k... but that's just me.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I have no idea where you got the idea that I thought radioactive matter/waste is "clean" or "safe".

It can be "safely" produced and contained.

I think there's a market for a $40k sedan that get's 60mpg. Has anyone seen how much a new Prius is with a moderate amount of options? They're about $35k and they get about 50mpg. Guess what? They sell like hotcakes.
they are not selling as much as before. They are actually offering rebates and what not. Still selling, but not like they were...
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Domsz06
interesting reading. and i agree that even though it costs less to operate then any say "civi" the price difference *the volt is not loaded* is like 20k. you will have to drive that thing for like 40 years. so as others have said it's a fail for anyone who drives.

If your like 5 miles to your work then it's ok I guess, but still so you don't EVER use gas and just use electricity it still takes 20 years to make up the difference.

Once again, looks like a fail to me....

It's cool and it is a step in the right direction, but I'd rather have a tesla type 2 and get 300 miles per charge at 50k... but that's just me.
At the current time, it's not for people who care that much about the money savings. It's about the people who have the money to spend and care about the problem of our dependency on foreign oil.

Like I said, people are buying the Prius like hotcakes. Those cars sell for over $30k and get 50mpg.
Old 07-28-2010 | 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

they are not selling as much as before. They are actually offering rebates and what not. Still selling, but not like they were...
That's because people are afraid of them going WOT into a tree.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Cool, man. I paid $5,900 for my 17k original mile Buick Regal GS last summer that get's 30mpg on the highway. So by your reasoning, you're the dumbass for paying $12k for a used Accord that gets 3mpg better.
my accord for 12k had 42k miles on it.. and has full bumper to bumper honda care warrenty till 100k.. and really IMO the buick regal is ugly as ****.. and i was alot more comfortable in my accord..

also.. for a "reliable" car.. i wont buy anything domestic.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by $750 L98
So instead of gasoline they run off coal? Nifty...

And sure, nuke power is clean, well unless you count the waste that has to be stuffed in a rusty steel container or cool bath for a couple thousand years.

I hope it does well, but electric cars are just a gimmick, people really think these things are "zero point energy" or something? Sorry but the nuclear comment made me laugh, you guys understand that Chernobyl is STILL going to be staffed for the next 100 years plus (the foreseeable future) simply to watch and data log each reading from the waste and still smoldering reactor right?

The $1.30 a night cost also assumes that price/consumption will not go up or be an issue with the current grid, which it most certainly will be. I already pay $170 a month for power in a 1 bedroom apartment.

That cost also assumes that you will never sit in traffic, you will never stop at a light, you will never use AC or other devices that will further tax the electrical system (no aftermarket radio for you). It also assumes that the battery will continue to be 100% efficient in any weather system at any point in it's lifespan. Something no battery can currently do.

You sound like a retarded hippie. The vast majority of people have no idea how or what nuclear anything is. Nuclear waste is not stored in rusty oil drums. Nuclear waste is stored in these high tech containers.

Everything in next generation will be powered by nuclear energy. The ******* universe is powered by nuclear reactions.....
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't compare a Civic to a Volt. Two completely different cars and markets.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by $750 L98
So instead of gasoline they run off coal? Nifty...

And sure, nuke power is clean, well unless you count the waste that has to be stuffed in a rusty steel container or cool bath for a couple thousand years.

I hope it does well, but electric cars are just a gimmick, people really think these things are "zero point energy" or something? Sorry but the nuclear comment made me laugh, you guys understand that Chernobyl is STILL going to be staffed for the next 100 years plus (the foreseeable future) simply to watch and data log each reading from the waste and still smoldering reactor right?
You may find this interesting:

The USA has the main navy with nuclear-powered aircraft carriers (11), while both it and Russia have had nuclear-powered cruisers (USA: 9, Russia 4). Russia has seven nuclear icebreakers and a nuclear freighter in service.

The US Navy has accumulated over 5500 reactor years of accident-free experience, and operates more than 80 nuclear-powered ships (with 103 reactors as of early 2005). Russia has logged 6000 nautical reactor years.

Sure the disposal of nuclear waste is still evolving but I thinkg your position against it can be argued very well.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bruser's LS1
You may find this interesting:

The USA has the main navy with nuclear-powered aircraft carriers (11), while both it and Russia have had nuclear-powered cruisers (USA: 9, Russia 4). Russia has seven nuclear icebreakers and a nuclear freighter in service.

The US Navy has accumulated over 5500 reactor years of accident-free experience, and operates more than 80 nuclear-powered ships (with 103 reactors as of early 2005). Russia has logged 6000 nautical reactor years.

Sure the disposal of nuclear waste is still evolving but I thinkg your position against it can be argued very well.
Fantastic stats.
Old 07-28-2010 | 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

also.. for a "reliable" car.. i wont buy anything domestic.
Wow. Now, you're really making yourself look stupid.

my accord for 12k had 42k miles on it.. and has full bumper to bumper honda care warrenty till 100k.. and really IMO the buick regal is ugly as ****.. and i was alot more comfortable in my accord..
I'll take my very comfortable/smoth driving low 14 second daily driver "ugly as ****" Regal GS over your totally bland looking shitbox lady car any day of the week. LOL! If a bumber to bumper warranty is worth $6k to you...

07 Accord...BLAH

My Regal GS
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

At the current time, it's not for people who care that much about the money savings. It's about the people who have the money to spend and care about the problem of our dependency on foreign oil.

Like I said, people are buying the Prius like hotcakes. Those cars sell for over $30k and get 50mpg.
yeah good point, the prirus DO NOT GET 50mpg. Unless you drive them at 55 just fyi. I lived in cali and laughed my *** off all day long at people swearing they get 50mpg yet they are doing 90.

You read the Road and tarck where the M3 and a pirus raced around the track, all the m3 had to do was keep up. The M3 got better gas mileage lol!
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by texas94z

You sound like a retarded hippie. The vast majority of people have no idea how or what nuclear anything is. Nuclear waste is not stored in rusty oil drums. Nuclear waste is stored in these high tech containers.

Everything in next generation will be powered by nuclear energy. The ******* universe is powered by nuclear reactions.....
your correct about storage, but it still is a threat in that we still no so little about it. Not arguing with you, just stating no one wants it in their background cuz of all the media horror stories. I agree with you, we should build lots and lots of nuclear plants.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

will be worthless.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:18 PM
TECH Junkie

You read the Road and tarck where the M3 and a pirus raced around the track, all the m3 had to do was keep up. The M3 got better gas mileage lol!
LOL! I hadn't heard that. That's funny.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ssteven
3 letters E. V. 1. A huge failure for GM. GM is prone to repeat itself.
wouldn't that be 2 letters and a number?

Originally Posted by Slash8915
I actually like the look of the Volt. 1000x more than the damn Prius. The way I drive my car (basically just to and from work) I would never use any gas.

But I too wonder about how much it would raise my electric bill per month. Maybe if you could figure out a way to charge it using your neighbor's electricity or if you lived in an apartment complex or something, lol.
hmm, i had an apartment in FL that while i did pay $80 to rent the garage every month, it did have an outlet in it for the garage door opener and an extra outlet that i ran an extension cord for things like a buffer or what not, i could have easily charged a car in there and we didn't pay for the electricity in there.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

your correct about storage, but it still is a threat in that we still no so little about it. Not arguing with you, just stating no one wants it in their background cuz of all the media horror stories. I agree with you, we should build lots and lots of nuclear plants.
I understand your point. Safety is the most important concern and it should be. Everyone needs to understand the beauty of nuclear energy. America won't take the steps forward untill Obama is out of office. Solar and wind WILL not power America alone. Save the fossil fuels for the rest of the world.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texas94z

Well since you feel the need for personal bashing - if you define disposal as sealing up the waste in metal casks and stuffing them under a mountain, or piling them "on location" around the country....sure we do a great job.

However the best we have done so far is STORE the waste, which even by admission we know will eventually leak. Yucca is also no longer a viable storage facility. Instead we store them on location at 131 locations around the US, does that sound safe or clean? Just do a little reading: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-nuclear-waste

BTW, i'm a conservative, I'm just not naive enough to think that a "hybrid" means "clean" energy or that nuclear fuel is the answer.

But by all means if you want to start with the name calling rather than admit that technology, be it gasoline or electric, has its limits. Have at it.

My point remains, people need to call it for what it is, it's diversification, not the answer or future. People thought solar energy was the answer too, but the MOST efficient panel developed broke 47% efficiency. Hardly the future, or answer.

It just spreads the load and helps people utilize that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality.

Anyway, I'll continue burning my fossil fuel and not be guilt tripped by the crowd that exchanges foreign oil for foreign electronics.

If you want independence from foreign oil, support domestic drilling.
Old 07-28-2010 | 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Be careful when you go to purchase the plutonium from the Libyans. They don't **** around.

i'm glad i wasn't the only one thinking of back to the future when he said nuclear is the future. i was going to say that this is the future.