VOLT = 41k, bring them to TEXAS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Chevy Tahoes sell constantly for around $50k. You can get a Honda Pilot with a 3rd row seat for much less and get better gas mileage. I guess this means new Tahoe owners are stupid? I think not. They saw a use for the Tahoe and that's what they wanted to spend their money on.

The Volt seats 4, gets 60mpg, has adequate storage and costs $40k. It shouldn't be compared to a Civic anymore than it should be compared to a $90k BMW M5.

People buy what they decide they want in the price range they decided they want to spend in. Some people want something that hauls ***. Some want something with a lot of creature comforts. Some want something that gets great gas mileage. Some want something that's cute. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even going to get into this argument.. alot of stupid in this thread

but anyone who thinks nuclear energy is going to be the the energy of OUR future as in near term furture... its not going to happen with prices like this

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/27/bu...html?src=busln
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by who281

but anyone who thinks nuclear energy is going to be the the energy of OUR future as in near term furture... its not going to happen with prices like this

Try not to call a lot of people stupid then type a statement using no punctuation or sentence structure. It's just not very convincing.

The price of milk has gone up too. What's the point?

Last edited by -Ross-; 07-28-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Launching!

previous nuclear storage was flawed in the "hiding in the mountain" factor...but if you think we haven't advanced past that, you are mistaken. The current stability provided by nuclear power is displayed all over the world. I hate to use France as a successful argument, but they are very heavy into nuclear and have had huge successes there. Depleted nuclear cores aren't going to be a problem in the modern age, but I do agree previous disposal needs to be cleaned up.

To point out the fact someone thinks a cheap civic is going to be the better choice is absolutely closed minded. Who says the pitch for the Volt is all about saving money? Yes, it gets the best mpgs out there, but that doesn't accurately represent its usage cost. But, it does accurately represent it's oil consumption to some degree, which is what is being marketed. People who buy the Volt aren't going to harm your **** box civic market because they can afford a Volt, get better mpgs, rely less on foreign oil, and potentially never fill up with gas (assuming they have less than a 40 mile commute a day). So you continue to buy your cheap Japanese econo-boxes and the rest of the world will move forward with technology.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
LOL! I hadn't heard that. That's funny.
yeah I know a freaking riot!

Originally Posted by texas94z
I understand your point. Safety is the most important concern and it should be. Everyone needs to understand the beauty of nuclear energy. America won't take the steps forward untill Obama is out of office. Solar and wind WILL not power America alone. Save the fossil fuels for the rest of the world.
Amen to that. Our grid is not efficient enough to supply power on true green alone.

Originally Posted by $750 L98
Well since you feel the need for personal bashing - if you define disposal as sealing up the waste in metal casks and stuffing them under a mountain, or piling them "on location" around the country....sure we do a great job.

However the best we have done so far is STORE the waste, which even by admission we know will eventually leak. Yucca is also no longer a viable storage facility. Instead we store them on location at 131 locations around the US, does that sound safe or clean? Just do a little reading: http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-nuclear-waste

BTW, i'm a conservative, I'm just not naive enough to think that a "hybrid" means "clean" energy or that nuclear fuel is the answer.

But by all means if you want to start with the name calling rather than admit that technology, be it gasoline or electric, has its limits. Have at it.

My point remains, people need to call it for what it is, it's diversification, not the answer or future. People thought solar energy was the answer too, but the MOST efficient panel developed broke 47% efficiency. Hardly the future, or answer.

It just spreads the load and helps people utilize that "out of sight, out of mind" mentality.

Anyway, I'll continue burning my fossil fuel and not be guilt tripped by the crowd that exchanges foreign oil for foreign electronics.

If you want independence from foreign oil, support domestic drilling.
I do support domesti drilling and glad you do to, but our need for oil far out weighs are known supplies domestically, not to say that there might be some huge unknown field, but unlikely. Support domestic drilling to get those hard working souls back to work so we can turn this economy around.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by who281

LOL nice sentence, and nice structure. Did you ever think that solar energy only works when it's sunny out? Who cares if they cost less then nuclear, you have to have sun to produce. You can put a nuclear anywhere. and it requires less space, and less maintenance. You have to have a HUGE solar field, and clean all the mirrors quite often, and oh yeah the big sun places like in the west or far north, are too far from our worthless grid to even help. Nice try but FAIL!

Try not to call a lot of people stupid then type a statement using no punctuation or sentence structure. It's just not very convincing.

The price of milk has gone up too. What's the point?

Very nice, the price of beer has gone up too...
Old 07-28-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Domsz06
Very nice, the price of beer has gone up too...
This is a huge concern.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Domsz06
... but our need for oil far out weighs are known supplies domestically, not to say that there might be some huge unknown field, but unlikely...
Where'd you get that information from?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Teching In

HONDA = Sucks more dick than your MOM!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LoudGM
And that pretty much sums up this discussion.... Thanks for your insightful take on the matter.. heh
Old 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Wow. Now, you're really making yourself look stupid.
lol. what ever.. out of all the people i know with "daily driver" domestics. they are FAR less reliable and FAR more prone to **** up then the imports.

to each his own.. i think the buick is ugly as ****.. and prefer my accord.. you like the regal.. since im not asking you to pay for my accord.. you dont have to like it..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

and this dumb **** shouldnt be opening his **** holster in general.. that last time you started yelling you showed yourself for the idiot you are.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White_lightning
...i think the buick is ugly as ****.. and prefer my accord.
Thats the most HOMO **** I have heard in a long time. You might as well prefer to cut your dick off too!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Thats the most HOMO **** I have heard in a long time. You might as well prefer to cut your dick off too!
and here you go.. adding more value as usual to the thread.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Teching In

and here you go.. adding more value as usual to the thread.
Oh yeah you added alot of value on here talking about how badass your Honda is. Remember it's LS1tech, not Honda ***** in your mouth tech.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

lol. what ever.. out of all the people i know with "daily driver" domestics. they are FAR less reliable and FAR more prone to **** up then the imports...

to each his own.. i think the buick is ugly as ****.. and prefer my accord.. you like the regal.. since im not asking you to pay for my accord.. you dont have to like it..
This still doesn't change the fact that you drive a lady car.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Oh yeah you added alot of value on here talking about how badass your Honda is. Remember it's LS1tech, not Honda ***** in your mouth tech.
(1).. i have been on ls1tech for quite a while. so you would think i have been around the block with LS cars a time or too..
(2) as usual you are an idiot to assume my only car is a honda..
(3) Ross, you drive a buick regal and a big redneck truck.. so while i drive a lady car, your buick regal is the Epitomy of the " one foot in the grave" 90 year old grandma car.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Teching In

(1).. i have been on ls1tech for quite a while. so you would think i have been around the block with LS cars a time or too..
(2) as usual you are an idiot to assume my only car is a honda..
(3) Ross, you drive a buick regal and a big redneck truck.. so while i drive a lady car, your buick regal is the Epitomy of the " one foot in the grave" 90 year old grandma car.
Yeah yeah yeah, so you have corvette also, but that fact that you have a Honda at all is a shame. Why can't you DD the vette? Wife got your ***** or what? If you can't afford the gas then maybe it's time to look at better paying jobs.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Yeah yeah yeah, so you have corvette also, but that fact that you have a Honda at all is a shame. Why can't you DD the vette? Wife got your ***** or what? If you can't afford the gas then maybe it's time to look at better paying jobs.
because i can afford to have a car that i drive daily. and a car that i can keep as a toy..

i drive 75 miles a day.. i would rather keep the vette for when i want to have a little fun dragging slow f-bodies around.

im sure you make 300k a year.. with your old and busted formal and **** box truck too.. lol..

does my wife have my *****. sure she does.. she has also bought me most of my mods too.. dont you just HATED a wife who supports your hobby???
Old 07-28-2010, 04:14 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Civic vs. Volt?

If you care about the environment then both are not bad options to look at.

If you have a good amount of money to spend, and dont mind spending it, then you may want a volt. If you dont have a lot of money then a civic may be what your looking for.

Neither one supior over the other and noone is stupid for picking one over the other.