yet another "how do i get my headers in" thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yet another "how do i get my headers in" thread

I bought some mac mid-length tubes a little over a year ago, im now installing them and ran into a few complications.

Driver side Problem
A. There is a small "tab" on the driver's side block which the header gets hung up on
B. Do i go from top or bottom on the driver's side?

Passenger Problem
A. Just like the driver side, there is that same exact tab that the header gets hung up on
Old 08-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Teching In

I have always went from the bottom. Helps to have the front end pretty high in air
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno if u have or not, but it helps to take out your spark plugs. Ive ran into that problem myself.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bottom is better. It might not seem like it, but you might have to take the cats off also.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Both sides go in the bottom. To get past the tabs the easy way I just got out my cherry picker and attached a chain on the cylinder head and lifted the engine up on the side I was working on and they just barely cleared. Since then I've had to take my LTs out and I've been able to sweet spot them back in. I guess I got lucky.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

dude just grind them done there not important and they slide right in from the bottom but have to have the car way in the air as well
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by avengedws6
Bottom is better. It might not seem like it, but you might have to take the cats off also.
The stock exahust system is completely out of the car including the old cat back, im actually looking for someone to take it off my hands for free

Originally Posted by 1QWK408
dude just grind them done there not important and they slide right in from the bottom but have to have the car way in the air as well
I was thinking about doing that but i didnt want to start grinding stuff and realize its something important lol. Its better ask questions before cutting
Old 08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by camAro242
The stock exahust system is completely out of the car including the old cat back, im actually looking for someone to take it off my hands for free

I was thinking about doing that but i didnt want to start grinding stuff and realize its something important lol. Its better ask questions before cutting
You'll be fine, grind away!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camAro242

i had problems with my mac midelengths on my old 98, they went in from the top not the bottom

take off the passengers side valve cover and they will go in from the top on the passengers side.

on the driver side i just used a hammer to get it past the steering column.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
i had problems with my mac midelengths on my old 98, they went in from the top not the bottom

take off the passengers side valve cover and they will go in from the top on the passengers side.

on the driver side i just used a hammer to get it past the steering column.
x2
I didnt take my valve cover off but had to remove coils and both my motor mounts were loosened up enough to get a lil movement, after a while of bangin and repositioning the pass side finally dropped in. Driver side went in with no probs at all.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a tubular k member. Took me 5 mins to install my 2" kooks 
Old 08-14-2010, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1_axxxman
x2
I didnt take my valve cover off but had to remove coils and both my motor mounts were loosened up enough to get a lil movement, after a while of bangin and repositioning the pass side finally dropped in. Driver side went in with no probs at all.

i spent like four hours trying to get them in from the bottom, i already had the coil packs off to get the old headers off so it took two seconds to take off the valve cover and they slid right in. i almost want to say they changed the motor mounts in 99 because ive only had that problem with 98's