Just started college!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
OR

1. Good grades 2. Social life 3. Enough sleep. 4. Adderall <-- Pick all four

Adderall is some awesome ****, just don't abuse or you'll end up on NATGEO as a subject on "Today's students and their legal drug addictions"
does it help u focus more on school or what?
Old 08-24-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MATTKO91Z
Booze, women, and fast cars

/thread
thats more of my kind of answer....
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
That stuff is like crack. It makes you work harder but you feel like ****.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwooten492
That stuff is like crack. It makes you work harder but you feel like ****.
so i should go buy it then lol
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Adderall is kinda like a bad/unhealthy/legal version of marijuana lol
Old 08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Teching In

How the hell do you not know what adderall is??!?!?!
It is the reason I made money and managed to sleep in classes and still make A's on every test on highschool

FYI dont take it late in the afternoon or else you will not sleep for a day or two
Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Oh man.....college. I just graduated this past May and it was a fun ride. I started originally in the Fall of 2002. I partied, had a great time.....but I failed almost every class I took. Did that for the Spring 2003 semester as well and called it quits because I had a decent job and was having fun. After having a child in 04 (a result of too much "fun") I realized I could do better than slaving away from dawn until dusk for crappy pay and went back to school in the Fall of 2005. It was the best decision of my life and these are my pointers:

- Take classes in the morning and DO YOUR HOMEWORK IN THE AFTERNOONS (I know this has been said before, but there is a reason for it's repetition. It WORKS. Do it, you'll be thankful later.)

- When you get assigned a paper, start working on it immediately. Don't just leave it until the last minute, it WILL catch up with you. If you don't have homework in the class that you have a paper assigned in, use the afternoon that is open to work on your paper. Do it during the week a little bit at a time and your evenings and weekends will be more open.

- When you read your assigned texts, underline or highlight key points. If you don't know what to look for while reading a text, learn it. It's a key factor. You'll comprehend what you're reading better and you'll feel smarter during class when your professor starts to point out these same spots in your reading. If your professor points out different things in the text, underline or highlight those as well.

- Find an upperclassmen in your major and ask them about professors you have or you'll have to take. Find out the professor's habits and how to best get along in their class. This can make or break your semester with some professors.

- Limit your alcohol intake during the week days. Trust me, you can live without getting blitzed every night Sunday through Thursday. By all means you should go out and enjoy a few beers with friends during the week, but keep it in moderation during the week. When you start to focus more on the partying, you can lose focus on your studies a whole lot easier than if you just had a few social drinks instead.

- Get involved on campus. Get out, make friends. Fraternities, Social clubs, clubs that pertain to your major. Just get involved, you'll enjoy your experience a whole lot more if you get involved.

- Keep your books that pertain to your major and minor. You are going to spend the rest of your life utilizing your knowledge in these fields. Keep your books for future reference (sometimes they can come in handy in other classes) and don't just sell them back to the bookstore. They rape you on price anyways.

- Keep all your notes / handouts / syllabuses for all your classes and organize them in manila folders. You paid for that semester's knowledge and I can guarantee you won't remember all of it. Keep these things handy and easy to find and you can refresh a course you took and remember things you learned a whole lot faster.

- When you go out with the ladies, double bag it. Don't get a girl preggers or get yourself some kind of VD. I love my two daughters, but it would have been better on them and myself if I would have waited until after college to have them.

For the moment that's all I can think of. I'll probably chime back in if I remember anything. Basically, this will be the time of your life. Enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can from your professors. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Oh man.....college. I just graduated this past May and it was a fun ride. I started originally in the Fall of 2002. I partied, had a great time.....but I failed almost every class I took. Did that for the Spring 2003 semester as well and called it quits because I had a decent job and was having fun. After having a child in 04 (a result of too much "fun") I realized I could do better than slaving away from dawn until dusk for crappy pay and went back to school in the Fall of 2005. It was the best decision of my life and these are my pointers:

- Take classes in the morning and DO YOUR HOMEWORK IN THE AFTERNOONS (I know this has been said before, but there is a reason for it's repetition. It WORKS. Do it, you'll be thankful later.)

- When you get assigned a paper, start working on it immediately. Don't just leave it until the last minute, it WILL catch up with you. If you don't have homework in the class that you have a paper assigned in, use the afternoon that is open to work on your paper. Do it during the week a little bit at a time and your evenings and weekends will be more open.

- When you read your assigned texts, underline or highlight key points. If you don't know what to look for while reading a text, learn it. It's a key factor. You'll comprehend what you're reading better and you'll feel smarter during class when your professor starts to point out these same spots in your reading. If your professor points out different things in the text, underline or highlight those as well.

- Find an upperclassmen in your major and ask them about professors you have or you'll have to take. Find out the professor's habits and how to best get along in their class. This can make or break your semester with some professors.

- Limit your alcohol intake during the week days. Trust me, you can live without getting blitzed every night Sunday through Thursday. By all means you should go out and enjoy a few beers with friends during the week, but keep it in moderation during the week. When you start to focus more on the partying, you can lose focus on your studies a whole lot easier than if you just had a few social drinks instead.

- Get involved on campus. Get out, make friends. Fraternities, Social clubs, clubs that pertain to your major. Just get involved, you'll enjoy your experience a whole lot more if you get involved.

- Keep your books that pertain to your major and minor. You are going to spend the rest of your life utilizing your knowledge in these fields. Keep your books for future reference (sometimes they can come in handy in other classes) and don't just sell them back to the bookstore. They rape you on price anyways.

- Keep all your notes / handouts / syllabuses for all your classes and organize them in manila folders. You paid for that semester's knowledge and I can guarantee you won't remember all of it. Keep these things handy and easy to find and you can refresh a course you took and remember things you learned a whole lot faster.

- When you go out with the ladies, double bag it. Don't get a girl preggers or get yourself some kind of VD. I love my two daughters, but it would have been better on them and myself if I would have waited until after college to have them.

For the moment that's all I can think of. I'll probably chime back in if I remember anything. Basically, this will be the time of your life. Enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can from your professors. Good luck!
Thanks man
i really appreciate it
time to hit the books and hit a few beers
im a engineer by the way
Old 08-25-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tbennett13
How the hell do you not know what adderall is??!?!?!
It is the reason I made money and managed to sleep in classes and still make A's on every test on highschool

FYI dont take it late in the afternoon or else you will not sleep for a day or two
herd of it but havnt seen it in school or in campus
maybe not to popular in the south?
idk
does it really work?
Old 08-25-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

herd of it but havnt seen it in school or in campus
maybe not to popular in the south?
idk
does it really work?
Adderall is a prescription drug that is primarily used to treat ADHD. It's technically not legal to take it if you do not have a prescription, but many students do to help with their studies.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im starting my sophmore year tomorrow. Well today.
My first semester I was very cautious with my grades. I have to maintain a 3.0 to keep all of my scholarships (full ride). Managed a 3.8 and the deans list. 2nd semester I slacked worked 30+ hours and dropped my GPA to a 3.2. It was not worth the extra fun to make me work harder the next few semesters. With your labs write your Lab papers ASAP while the info is fresh.

As for the adderall I have never done the stuff. But the green stuff in a clear baggy helped me study some.

Also take advantage of ALL the on campus resources. My library has an english department that proofreads your papers for FREE. The english majors are forced to spend 2 or 4 semesters in there. Same with the math department and science. Lots of help.

As for finals get ready early. Find your study habit and run with it about a week early.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Adderall is a prescription drug that is primarily used to treat ADHD. It's technically not legal to take it if you do not have a prescription, but many students do to help with their studies.
It helps with drinking too.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

dont do what i did, i already regret it and i havent even graduated yet. lets see if i can "learn you" from my mistakes

1. dont go in with a high school mindset: i always got a's and b's in highschool without even opening a book. NOT IN COLLEGE. first semester i flunked 2 classes and a d in another. huge mistake, so whatever you learned in highschool, just throw it out the window and start fresh

2. take your basics for the first year or two: i started out as a declared aerospace engineering major, and have since changed it 4 times. to avoid wasting precious hours on a major you may not have in a semester or two, be sure to knock out the base curriculum first

3. dont work more than 20 hours/week: my advisor told me not to, yet i continued to do so anyways. big mistake. i went to class in the morning, then worked in the afternoons/evenings, had no time to study much less have a social life. and for some reason i continued to try and have a social life anyways, which hurt my grades even further. try and keep the work hours low so as to make more time for studying and other things.

4. live on campus: i live at home and commute 30 miles a day to and from campus. sure im saving a lot of money by living here, but i dont know anybody and this is my fourth year. plus i have to wake up earlier to make the trip and worry about traffic. living at home really sucks *****, and it kills your social life.

5. if you have a girlfriend, dump her: a wise man once said, going to college with a steady girlfriend is like going to an all you can eat buffet with a sack lunch. very true indeed. ive been dating my girl for almost 3 years now(met her my first semester) love her to death, but honestly if i could do it all over again, i wouldnt commit to a serious relationship while in college. sucks seeing all these hot bitches that you cant in good conscience hit. not to mention, girlfriends are money pits, and if you have to work to pay for your school like me, it kinda sucks.

6. dont party too often: limit your partying to once a week, or not at all. too much partying will really **** you up, especially if youre one of those douche bags who think college is anything like the american pie movies, van wilder, animal house, etc etc. these guys usually flunk out their first semester, which is good for me, because there are noticeably more parking spots during the spring semesters. i got my drink on alot my first semester, and my grades definately reflected that.

7. take more than 12 hours/semester: while 12 is the minimum number of credit hours to be considered full time, take 15. you cannot graduate on time doing 12 hrs/semester, and im learning this the hard way.

8. forget about the car for a while: again, if you work your way through school like me, you will have 0 cash to put towards tha t/a.

9. make sure to use ratemyprofessor.com: excellent website for looking up teachers and how they rate as far as ease of passing, feel of the class, various nuances, etc etc.

10. dont procrastinate: i have paid for this dearly. too many sleepless nights, low quality papers, and near heart-attacks from drinking energy drinks trying to stay up to finish that 10 page paper your professor assigned 3 months ago. its not worth it, and really there is no excuse not to do it when its assigned, so just do it then. i say this, but im probably gonna do it anyways this week when school starts

thats all i can think of for now. so yeah, needless to say my college career sucks thus far. cant wait to graduate next fall ( a semester late, see #7). the crazy thing is, im considering graduate school ( away from home, of course) so i can give it a second shot, so to speak. who knows. anyways just dont do what i did, and you will end up a-ok
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

when you're doing a paper or homework, turn off your phone. and get away from facebook/ls1tech
Old 08-25-2010, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

You just have to find what works. I can't do anything unless I'm doing 10 things at once. When I wrote my papers I would write them at 3am (just got off work) and still be online, as well as my texts to the late night calls. But that's just me. Not everyone can do it.

FInd what works, party when you can and just get the grades. and personally I would try to have as little debt as possible. I graduated debt free, but some of my friends have 6 figures of school debt and they will be paying on those for freaking ever!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Adderoll=methamphetamine salts

Now take methamphetamine into consideration and what do you get? Speed! And not the fast car kind. It's crank in a pill. That's a last resort to stay awake, but not gonna say I haven't taken it for class....many times lol....but before doing any of that, read up on it an be informed.

Alot of coffee should work too. Good luck this semester
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Work and school, but I take it legally, as I "have" ADHD. I was only taking a play on the other guy's post, if you're not on it, don't get on it.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea i looked it up and found out about it
but i have not heard of this drug on my campus
Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for all the kind words guys
currently ive been stuck in the engineering lab for the past 3 hours doing
homework i get out at 7:05 and right after i have work.... so these 4 upcoming years should be ALOT of fun.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for all the kind words guys
currently ive been stuck in the engineering lab for the past 3 hours doing
homework i get out at 7:05 and right after i have work.... so these 4 upcoming years should be ALOT of fun.
Engineering is hard, especially with a job...but it's worth it. It really will be a lot of fun too. Best 6 years of my life

Hang in there. The good outwieghs the bad.

There is some great advice in here. BUT, ultimately you have to find what works for you. For most people, it'll take a couple years. College is SO MUCH different than high school.

BTW, I shouldn't preach because adderall has helped me study before, but my advice, stay away from the stuff. Keep it clean with coffee

Good luck!

Texas A&M Petroleum Engineering '10