Just started college!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just started college!

well as the tittle says i just started school and im pumped!
been taking the whole party thing a little to far
but any recommendations from the older people that visit ls1tech
good advice about school?
how to make it alot of fun and still keep a good GPA
Old 08-24-2010, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Want to know the secrets. If you have school in the morning, do your homework right after in the afternoon. No one really parties at 4 PM. Get your stuff out of the way EARLY. It's how I have survived 3 years and I'm currently on my last year. Study during the day. You'll thank me later.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

school should be your number one priority, adderall is pretty awesome when I need to take 3 or 4 pages of notes I take it and test days.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

What school are you going to?

The BEST advice I ever got was to ALWAYS go to class. Even if you're hung-over or still drunk from the previous night, just ALWAYS go to class (and try to sit towards the front). Your professors will always notice your effort for attendance, regardless of how big the class size. When the semester winds down and your grade is borderline, go you talk to them, they will always bump up a student who has made the effort over someone who doesn't even come to class.

I've been on both sides of the advice given above so I know it's proven to work. Also, during the week of your exam, go talk to your professor and ask some questions. Trust me, they love that crap! I rarely had any real questions, I would just go up to his/her office to show my face so they know that I'm trying (and in doing so, guaranteeing my passing grade).

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After class, hit the gym and then study hard till nightfall. Then cruise in the ws6 and pick up girls!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What college are you attending?
Old 08-24-2010, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yep ... E for Effort is a huge deal. Atleast show up and try, and when I say try I don't mean just sit back if the class is having a discussion. I know how it is man, I just graduated college last year. Its easy to get in the groove and treat college like HS again but you gotta stay away from that mindset. This is something you pay for and treat it like its a big deal. Just get all your work done and actually read and study, ( alot of people don't do this ). Then trust me you will have time to have fun!! Also get to know alot of people in college. Getting to know people is a big deal!! In todays world its not what you know but who you know that will help you get into the door at alot of places. Have fun!!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like they said, do your homework in the afternoon after class and don't half-*** it. Then you can have the night time to get some fun in!

GO TO ALL YOUR CLASSES! You're paying to be there (or somebody is paying for you to be there), so BE THERE!!! That's something many never fully grasp and then they complain that some dumb jock (sorry for the stereotype) gets a better grade in the class than they did because he went to class and got some extra credit on days when very few people showed up!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say is... D is for diploma... loved the college life... enjoy it while you can because it will go quick.

Oh, and don't decide on a major right off the bat. Usually people don't know what they want to do with their lives until a few years after college. Do your basics the first two years, then decide on a major after that based on what you enjoy doing, and what makes you happy.

I chose mechanical engineering when I entered college, then finished with computer information systems. I figured I was much better at working with computers/developing ****, then I was at math.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
What college are you attending?
UTB TSC in brownsville
Old 08-24-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
What school are you going to?

The BEST advice I ever got was to ALWAYS go to class. Even if you're hung-over or still drunk from the previous night, just ALWAYS go to class (and try to sit towards the front). Your professors will always notice your effort for attendance, regardless of how big the class size. When the semester winds down and your grade is borderline, go you talk to them, they will always bump up a student who has made the effort over someone who doesn't even come to class.

I've been on both sides of the advice given above so I know it's proven to work. Also, during the week of your exam, go talk to your professor and ask some questions. Trust me, they love that crap! I rarely had any real questions, I would just go up to his/her office to show my face so they know that I'm trying (and in doing so, guaranteeing my passing grade).

Good luck!
UTB TSC in brownsville engineer major.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM
12 Second Club

1. Good grades 2. Social life 3. Enough sleep. <-- Pick any two
Old 08-24-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Questions:

What is your major?
What do you want to do?
How are you paying for school?

I don't know is not an answer.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by craz28
1. Good grades 2. Social life 3. Enough sleep. <-- Pick any two
OR

1. Good grades 2. Social life 3. Enough sleep. 4. Adderall <-- Pick all four

Adderall is some awesome ****, just don't abuse or you'll end up on NATGEO as a subject on "Today's students and their legal drug addictions"
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

ah this is why i like being a film major =) my work isn't even work at all.

but they're right, do your work right after class, because once you get that one thought, "hmm i have the rest of the day off" you're not going to do anything. especially if its nice out.

then again i did my best work in the morning. i had an english class at noon, i'd wake up at 8, bang out a paper in a half hour/hour. got decent grades on every one of them.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Attend all of your classes and make the grades.

Grades matter a lot, especially for getting into an engineering position.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
UTB TSC in brownsville engineer major.
Haha if you go to college to have a big social life with engineering good luck. It ain't gonna happen if you want a good gpa.

We started with 91 in our engineering class. We are down to about 40-45 after our first year and apparently it's still going to go down after this semester. Let's just say I hardly drink or do any really stupid stuff because I am constantly studying.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00fastta
Haha if you go to college to have a big social life with engineering good luck. It ain't gonna happen if you want a good gpa.

We started with 91 in our engineering class. We are down to about 40-45 after our first year and apparently it's still going to go down after this semester. Let's just say I hardly drink or do any really stupid stuff because I am constantly studying.
it's all on how you do it. I have a business degree and engineering degree. Slept through business and got decent grades, finished engineering, didn't sleep, worked 60 hours a week to have toys, fun and chica's, and graduated into a solid job. Just have to make priorities. and no I never touched that adderal crap. Just good ole coffee and drive. Human bodies don't need nearly as much sleep as you think. Study on the week days, party on the weekends.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

Booze, women, and fast cars

/thread
Old 08-24-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lo_jack
Questions:

What is your major?
What do you want to do?