Just started college!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
You just have to find what works. I can't do anything unless I'm doing 10 things at once. When I wrote my papers I would write them at 3am (just got off work) and still be online, as well as my texts to the late night calls. But that's just me. Not everyone can do it.
yeah i'm the same way, i was saying turn off the phone for the fact that if he's doing homework and someone texts/calls saying partyy!!!! it'd be tough to say no
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I graduated college with an Engineering degree, never once took adderal, and maintained a very high gpa. Stay away from it... just have good study habits. Manage your time wisely. If you do your homework early in the day, between classes, and don't procrastinate, you will find plenty of free time to go have fun. However, you should prepare for nights where all your friends are going out and you have to stay home to work on a project. This happens ALL the time.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
What school are you going to?

The BEST advice I ever got was to ALWAYS go to class. Even if you're hung-over or still drunk from the previous night, just ALWAYS go to class (and try to sit towards the front). Your professors will always notice your effort for attendance, regardless of how big the class size. When the semester winds down and your grade is borderline, go you talk to them, they will always bump up a student who has made the effort over someone who doesn't even come to class.

I've been on both sides of the advice given above so I know it's proven to work. Also, during the week of your exam, go talk to your professor and ask some questions. Trust me, they love that crap! I rarely had any real questions, I would just go up to his/her office to show my face so they know that I'm trying (and in doing so, guaranteeing my passing grade).

Good luck!
Excellent advice right here. I always went to class in undergrad regardless of anything. I was sick and would still go, I was asked to leave one time and the professor emailed me all the slides/notes later on that evening and asked was I alright and keep her updated. Lastly GO TO CLASS AND SIT IN THE FRONT AND TAKE GOOD NOTES. Study hard for the exams and in your free time do whatever you like.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wimimc
yeah i'm the same way, i was saying turn off the phone for the fact that if he's doing homework and someone texts/calls saying partyy!!!! it'd be tough to say no
Yea i already annouced that ill keep my drinking to weekends only if im off work
full time job and full time student = changing clothes in parking lots and trunk full of clothes....
Old 08-26-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
full time job and full time student = changing clothes in parking lots and trunk full of clothes....
thats actually fairly common. one time before i fell asleep for my nap i saw a girl climb into her explorer/expedition and change in the back.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wimimc
thats actually fairly common. one time before i fell asleep for my nap i saw a girl climb into her explorer/expedition and change in the back.
yea ive been doing that for about a weeknow
its nuts but for some odd reason i enjoy it?
i like having so much to do in so little time.
makes it more exciting? idk.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

1. Get off tech
2. Get a ti-89 (engineering)
3. Get at least 6-7 hours of sleep at all costs

It's only going to get harder. Especially engineering.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00fastta
1. Get off tech

x2. those engineering classes will really separate the men from the boys. i used to think i wanted to do that, and i quickly found out in college i had no penchant for math. after 4 changes, i am now a happily situated political-science major
Old 08-26-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. Get off tech

i take small breaks
since most of my math homework is online.
i check tech for 5 mins or so then jump back into homework
i got a ti83 at the moment but yes may upper class mates have said ti89 is the way to go.
Math is killing me but i wont give up.
with work and school im getting about 5 hours of sleep.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
[/B]

x2. those engineering classes will really separate the men from the boys. i used to think i wanted to do that, and i quickly found out in college i had no penchant for math. after 4 changes, i am now a happily situated political-science major
i have a politics class is its boring as hell
plus its 3 hours long....
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
[/B]

Woot! Another one here reppin the B.S. in the P.S.!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

I graduated from UT-Brownsville with a 3.8 gpa in education last year, im currently enrolled in their M.Ed. program. Its a good school, just keep at it and you'll be fine.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

ATTEND CLASS.

you are paying for it, so get your money out of it!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK

keep up with the lessons, you wouldn't believe how easy something is when you do the required work.

STAY @ SCHOOL

don't go back to "home", stay where you are. Meet new people, try clubs, student groups, etc.

Remember, you gotta pay to play.... make smart decisions.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

In college now, just do all the work that you are assigned as quickly as you can that way it doesn't sneak back up on you. College isn't like high school, the professors dont remind you about assignments and test dates. A lot of times you walk into class and all of a sudden you have a test or a paper due that was only mentioned in the syllabus or on the first day of class.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tyler_PinkertonZ28
In college now, just do all the work that you are assigned as quickly as you can that way it doesn't sneak back up on you. College isn't like high school, the professors dont remind you about assignments and test dates. A lot of times you walk into class and all of a sudden you have a test or a paper due that was only mentioned in the syllabus or on the first day of class.
I've seen this happen to a lot of people. They come waltzing in after being gone from class for the past week or two and then are amazed to find out we are about to take an exam. I love how they get mad about it, should have read the syllabus! It's not the professor's job to hold your hand!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97
I've seen this happen to a lot of people. They come waltzing in after being gone from class for the past week or two and then are amazed to find out we are about to take an exam. I love how they get mad about it, should have read the syllabus! It's not the professor's job to hold your hand!
reviewing my syllabus right now
jaja
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

jaja
By the way, most of us aren't telling you these "horror stories" to frighten you or anything, just stuff we picked up along the way. I was lucky, my uncle told me a lot of ins and outs of college professors (he was a Psychology professor for a University up in Canada for like 20 years before his death). He told me once that during an undergrad course his class was assigned five books to read. Their professor said to read them cover to cover, every single page. They would have one exam, their final, and it would be their entire grade. The exam would consist of two questions; one would come directly from the assigned books and the other would come from the lectures. The final exam question that pertained to the books? How many (and which ones) of the five books had a "Foreward" included in them! When the professor said every page, he meant every page! My uncle passed that along to some of his graduate level courses that he taught, he said it was pretty funny to see some people's reactions! With that being said, pay attention and learn all you can! Have a good one!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

The syllabus will be your best friend in a lot of classes. And like some other people said try to talk to the professors and sit near the front. It helps them know that you care about the class and if they know that you care, they will be a lot more willing to help you out.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:12 AM
11 Second Club

Yea i already annouced that ill keep my drinking to weekends only if im off work
Yup I worked 60+ hrs a week, but sure was nice to not have any debt

1. Get off tech

I argue that statement, in engineering the first 2 years are hell cuz they want to weed out all the weak, they give you crappy teachers who can't speak english, most are all TA's. and you typically hate these boring classes. As you get more and more into your degree the classes are better taught and a lot more fun and IMO not nearly as hard. But I guess it could also be that you like it more so it's easier to study.

jaja
nothing to review except when the quizes and tests are, and if you have HW when it's due.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM
11 Second Club

1. Get off tech

6-7 hrs are you serious?