Who's red 2010 SS? Full repaint

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i think that thing looks killer in the color for sure! should offer that color from the factory!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a 95 T/A that color it was really sweet when it was clean and looked about six miles deep with a good claybar and wax job. That crappy green color that is offered from the factory now looks like they dipped a 2010 camaro in a baby's diaper.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
man i think that thing looks killer in the color for sure! should offer that color from the factory!
Wait until it's buffed and waxed, then it will really look good! It's in the parking lot so just pull in Tuesday and check it out.

There is a factory green one driving around here and it looks ok I guess, definitely not something I would buy though. I love this car though because it's so different yet not obnoxious like those crazy colors or kandy cars. It looks exactly like a car that came off the factory floor. I wonder what it would look like with some bad *** wheels .
Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he just runied a perfectly good car putting a 1500$ dollar paint job on it. i hate when people cheap out on ****
Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It's all in the prep and the cleanliness of the application. just because it didn't cost three nuts and a leg doesn't make it bad. Man it sure is clean gm should have offered it in that color I'd buy it. If I didn't need four extra doors and a bed for kids and wife.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SHovV
he just runied a perfectly good car putting a 1500$ dollar paint job on it. i hate when people cheap out on ****
How you know they cheap out? You were there when it was done? You think a $1500 paint job is crap? Oh wait, then if it is a $5000 one then IT must be right....
Old 09-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Like everybody else has been saying, just because a "renowned" shop can charge a **** ton for a paint job, doesn't make it amazing quality. And just because a less known shop doesn't charge a lot, doesn't make it a bad job. Yes, you usually get what you pay for, but when a shop is trying to get customers and isn't "prestigious" they can't charge out the *** for labor on a paint job.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
i thought the kandy green ones were a "special" and only a 6 cyl??
i saw an SS last night. they had just picked it up last week and had ordered it back in july. IIRC they had a white on red 2010 ss and sold it to buy the green one. That color is now available on SS's for '11
Old 09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Thank God it wasnt synergy green, Car looks great, kinda like bowling green green
Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
Curious who's car it is? We are supposed to paint it green with gold stripes. Why didn't you/they just get it green in the first place? It should look great but idk about the gold stripes.

This picture was like a week ago before they started taking it apart.

The shop doesn't even look dirty, idk what everyone is bitching about, the only thing I see in the picture are some tires leaning up against the wall. It only takes 1 average car to completely **** up a clean shop. Now once you get into the rusty *** cars where you have to sandblast and what not, the amount of trash generated from that one car is just insane. It's impossible to keep the whole shop clean at once so we just do sections at a time.

I know y'all aren't going to believe this but the car actually looks really good, a completely different green than what I had in my head.

Originally Posted by chaman
How you know they cheap out? You were there when it was done? You think a $1500 paint job is crap? Oh wait, then if it is a $5000 one then IT must be right....

for 1500$ this guy got a scuffed down prep job. no grills or lights were removed. not the the mirrors or door handles. not the xm antenna on the roof. none of the window moldings were removed. i doubt they back taped the wheel openings. for 1500$ this "quality" job consists of scuffing down the car, taping the windows, grills and lights up, putting wheel covers on and painting the car a different color. who even know the quality of materials. but for 1500$ for materials & labor, i can guarantee you this guy didnt get a "quality" paint job or even a "quality" product applied to his car. im not saying a quality color change, or even a regular paint job has to cost 5-10k. im not even talking about a show quality paint job. but lets use some common sense here people
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

When I was quoted for painting my 2010 Hugger Orange it was going to be $6k to be done "right." The painter is a friend of mine also. Said normally for a "full" color change he'd charge 8k, and pretty sure he mentioned pulling the engine to paint the entire engine bay.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Curious who's car it is? We are supposed to paint it green with gold stripes. Why didn't you/they just get it green in the first place? It should look great but idk about the gold stripes.

This picture was like a week ago before they started taking it apart.
Originally Posted by SHovV
for 1500$ this guy got a scuffed down prep job. no grills or lights were removed. not the the mirrors or door handles. not the xm antenna on the roof. none of the window moldings were removed. i doubt they back taped the wheel openings. for 1500$ this "quality" job consists of scuffing down the car, taping the windows, grills and lights up, putting wheel covers on and painting the car a different color. who even know the quality of materials. but for 1500$ for materials & labor, i can guarantee you this guy didnt get a "quality" paint job or even a "quality" product applied to his car. im not saying a quality color change, or even a regular paint job has to cost 5-10k. im not even talking about a show quality paint job. but lets use some common sense here people
Reading is your friend

I'm 100% sure they got what he paid for. I know several managers of paint and body shops and they all will tell you that when a customer comes in for a quote they cry about the price for the job to be done right. I was at GRC and Kelly told a customer the price to paint a truck. when Kelly told him the price he about fell out. Then he asked Kelly what can I get for about 2k and Kelly told him a scuff & paint, no body work. 2 weeks later the truck was at the shop getting scuffed and painted... These shops are only going to do what they are getting paid to do.

Last edited by Bad Chad; 09-05-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

No I definitely agree, if he only had $1500 to spend he's getting what he paid for.

If I only had that much I'd start looking into a "wrap" for the vehicle. That way you can put it back later.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do you spend $30k on a brand new car and then only have $1300 for a paintjob?

too bad you couldn't order one unpainted and save yourself a few grand and then get it painted your own color
Old 09-05-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Maybe he is a pimp. Am I the only one that has ever heard the saying, "green for the money, gold for the honey"?

But, the pimp thing to do is green paint and gold wheels. Nobody knows this?
Saw that on the movie American pimp. That's my creedo lol
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a sneak peak and some pics of that Mustang y'all were talking about earlier. It's a fairly small stripe with two smaller ones on each side.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast