What would y'all do if a PAYCHECK didn't clear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would y'all do if a PAYCHECK didn't clear?

I work at an independent car shop. Today, I heard about IRS problems with the shop and was worried all day, till the boss was gone for a couple hours and showed up in a good mood. Today is payday and when I went to the bank to cash my check, the bank told me they couldn't complete the transaction at the moment...

Long story short... Last night a guy I work with was staying late and saw some IRS agents come into the shop and ask for the owner. He hid and listened to the convo and apparently the shop owes them money. Today, the boss was in a bad mood in the morning and like I said, he was gone for a couple hours and came back in a good mood.

At the end of the day, I went to go cash my check and it bounced. Suspicion says that the IRS froze the bank account. The boss didn't say **** to me before I left work. All my info is coming from a legit source who over heard a very private conversation.

No doubt comes from the person who supplied me the info, since they are a close friend and have never lied to me before.

Anyway, my question is, how should I handle the situation?

I have thought about staying up all night getting drunk and show up in the morning cussing and screaming.

The other option is walking into work wearing sweat pants and a t-shirt and rolling my tool box out the door.

Idk what the **** to do...

What would y'all do? I don't think it's worth calling the Texas Workforce Commission being as it's the first time and it's only "a day late".
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would find another job honestly...

If the employer can't even pay their workers, what's the point of working there? I know I wouldn't continue to. I'd find another job and then walk out the door...
Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

I would talk to them and tell them what happened. If it happens again, I would first get my money of course first and then find another job... Hope everything turns out well for you man...
Old 09-08-2010, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jgarza54
I would talk to them and tell them what happened. If it happens again, I would first get my money of course first and then find another job... Hope everything turns out well for you man...
^^^ x2

Also the guy might pay you out of his own pocket if he thinks alot of people are going to walk.. Last thing the guy wants to do is lose all his employees.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Yeah I over heard a convo at the end of the day with some other employees. Something about he had to hold their check till tomorrow and he might just give them cash. Sounded to me like he was going to pay out of his pocket.

I hate to leave the shop cause I've made some good friends and best of all, the shop has A/C. BUT I can't keep working at a place that doesn't ****** pay me on payday.

I tried to get a job at the dealership, but those **** suckers wouldn't pay me more than $10/hr since I don't have their specific schooling.

If the economy were better, I'd use this opportunity to open my own shop...
Old 09-08-2010, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Yeah I over heard a convo at the end of the day with some other employees. Something about he had to hold their check till tomorrow and he might just give them cash. Sounded to me like he was going to pay out of his pocket.

I hate to leave the shop cause I've made some good friends and best of all, the shop has A/C. BUT I can't keep working at a place that doesn't ****** pay me on payday.

I tried to get a job at the dealership, but those **** suckers wouldn't pay me more than $10/hr since I don't have their specific schooling.

If the economy were better, I'd use this opportunity to open my own shop...
Just make sure if you do open your own shop make your goal #1 not to **** the customer lol

And you will be set.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

No, I've actually been told that I'm "too honest for my own good" lol.

I watched my boss (the same person that couldn't pay my paycheck), **** a guy out of $2500 today. The part that really tore me up was that the customer was a Vet with a purple heart. I almost had to just walk away from the car and not do the work. My boss stole the front Baer calipers and cross drilled rotors off it and replaced it with factory equipment. Only to sell the aftermarket stuff on e-bay and pocket everything, but STILL charged the customer full price for a brake job...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

I watched my boss (the same person that couldn't pay my paycheck), **** a guy out of $2500 today. The part that really tore me up was that the customer was a Vet with a purple heart. I almost had to just walk away from the car and not do the work. My boss stole the front Baer calipers and cross drilled rotors off it and replaced it with factory equipment. Only to sell the aftermarket stuff on e-bay and pocket everything, but STILL charged the customer full price for a brake job...
Umm I don't think I could work for a guy like that .. I would have walked up to the guy and said sir my boss is trying to **** you over for $2500 and tell him where he should go to get it done right. After that tell the guy I will walk you out to your car thank him for the service he has done for this country. After that I would have told my boss what a ******* dick head move that was and just left with my tools.

Just like I said before Rule #1 don't **** your customers and #2 doing nothing about it and knowing it was wrong is just as bad in my book.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

You are right about rule #2. I was mad at myself for doing the work. But at the end of the day I have to feed my family and walking out without a job lined up sets myself up for failure.

I assume that tomorrow my coffee cup will be 50/50 coffee/whiskey and I'll tell it how I feel it is. I know at least 2 of my fellow employees will stand behind me and a part of me still feels like I should show up in "street clothes" to see how the boss can respond.

I was hoping more people would tell me to show up drunk so I could show my gf that it IS a good idea lol...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

After that post I say get your money, try to find another job asap (so you dont go without making any type of money after you leave this one), pack your stuff and leave.. I wouldn't be able to work for a person that ***** people like that....
Old 09-08-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

When I read your original post I kinda felt bad for your boss that this happened to him and your shop but after your last statement it really pisses me off and I hope they get his *** somehow !!

J
Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by THE BLACK WIDOW
When I read your original post I kinda felt bad for your boss that this happened to him and your shop but after your last statement it really pisses me off and I hope they get his *** somehow !!

J
x fn 2 and when you do leave, please let us know what shop that is so We dont get **** like that VET did...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:30 PM
10 Second Club

You are right about rule #2. I was mad at myself for doing the work. But at the end of the day I have to feed my family and walking out without a job lined up sets myself up for failure.

I assume that tomorrow my coffee cup will be 50/50 coffee/whiskey and I'll tell it how I feel it is. I know at least 2 of my fellow employees will stand behind me and a part of me still feels like I should show up in "street clothes" to see how the boss can respond.

I was hoping more people would tell me to show up drunk so I could show my gf that it IS a good idea lol...
I understand you have to take care of your family but you wouldn't rob a bank to do that too would you?? Same thing in my book but with the Vet I think it's even worse. No morals

As for showing up to work drunk means you have to drive to work drunk and thats just fucked up and stupid. NEVER A GOOD IDEA!!

Sorry this thread didn't turn out the way you wanted to and I'm not here to bash you but, what you have said so far is just fucked up.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Nah, I wouldn't drive drunk like that. I live close enough I could have anyone I work with drive me there.

If I do leave, I will let you know what shop, but I will say that very few people on this website own this make of car, so I doubt anyone will get fucked by him.

I only know of one person on this whole site who has even showed up to this shop and I ended up doing side work on his car anyhow.

I did feel bad for my boss, until I remembered all the times he's gotten on my last goddamn nerve, yelled at me for no reason, made fun of me for owning a domestic car, teased about my lack of specialty tools and ignored any piece of opinion I've ever voiced. I guess y'all are right. There's a handful of other shops I can go to in the area. I have more than enough amazing references for finding a new job. I really do need to leave this **** hole.

I just wanna go out with a giant *** bang, since I am the biggest money maker for my boss.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Launching!

And if some/all of the things I'm saying right now sound immature and stupid... Please let me inform you that I'm finishing the last of a 12 pack and getting ready to dig into a bottle of whiskey...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Second Club

Nah, I wouldn't drive drunk like that. I live close enough I could have anyone I work with drive me there.

If I do leave, I will let you know what shop, but I will say that very few people on this website own this make of car, so I doubt anyone will get fucked by him.

I only know of one person on this whole site who has even showed up to this shop and I ended up doing side work on his car anyhow.

I did feel bad for my boss, until I remembered all the times he's gotten on my last goddamn nerve, yelled at me for no reason, made fun of me for owning a domestic car, teased about my lack of specialty tools and ignored any piece of opinion I've ever voiced. I guess y'all are right. There's a handful of other shops I can go to in the area. I have more than enough amazing references for finding a new job. I really do need to leave this **** hole.

I just wanna go out with a giant *** bang, since I am the biggest money maker for my boss.
Sounds like a good idea to leave..

Just don't go out with to big of a bang just incase they ask about your last employer lol

I would still go up to him to get my check before I left though lol
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

monster dot com
Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Launching!

Any performance shop owners on here looking for a new tech? I'd love to work on my beloved Chevy. I'm way more of a custom guy than repair man...
Old 09-09-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

so the IRS talked to him, he was in a very bad mood, left the shop and a few hours later returned in a good mood?......Either Drugs or Hookers
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

The IRS could have put a stop on the bank account and "Maybe" was was able to resolve the issue or got a loan to cover the fee's. It's takes a few days for the IRS to release the hold on the account... Just saying, that maybe why your check did not go through.

As far as ******* the Vet, I would start looking for a new Job. Since Daniel6718's shop is doing so good he may put you to work... LOL