Any way to know is my isp is throttling me down?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to know is my isp is throttling me down?

Ok so I live in the boonies and have a 4g/Broadband type connection (Not Clear). So for the first two-3 months I was running an easy 7-8 megs consistently. This is like my fourth month and my service is dismal to none in this tropical storm rain. So I started running speed test again lately and im lucky to get 1.5-2 megs. I get a call from a tech and suddenly my speeds boosted back to 5 megs (the service i pay for). 10 minutes after i hang up with the call my speeds where back to crappy 1.5 megs again. I called again and I explained the situation to another tech and he told me the same stuff about my signal being strong and what not and he had nothing to offer.

Thoughts? I am A+ certified so im not a noob to basic ****.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Clear at the moment I am defiantly getting rid of it. It's complete garbage! I had school work to do when the big storm rolled threw last week and was late b/c I had no service and would cut in and out with the signal! Your best bet is to just get some DSL...wish I had cable or FIOS out here where I live.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Clear sucks bad if youre not in the perfect position. We had it for a while and I coudlnt use it at home. We since went to a regular DSL provider(time warner) and borrow my brother in laws clear usb for mobile internet. It works fine around Austin for me just not when at home where I really need it.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Well I know when I lived in Cali and had *** cable something happened with my modem to where it was taking up and using more bandwidth then was allocated to my household so they kept killing my Internet connection. Finally they replaced my modem and everything was gravy.

So maybe there is a problem with your modem..... And the techs are seeing something and slowing your speed down to help resolve some issues.

I'm not super computer literate but this is what I was told by a tech at *** cable when I had a similar problem.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really isn't a difference in "download speed" if you get an 8MB package over a 5MB package. The only difference is that if you're on a 8MB package, then your regarded as a "higher priority" for bandwidth over a person with say a 5MB package, thus you get bandwidth first, then the other guy with 5MBs gets bandwidth, and it trickles down from there. That's the only difference between them, ISPs use this as marketing to trick you into getting the highest package.

I had Clear in college and used it solely for online gaming and it sucked huge donkey dick. I had like a 2MB download, but the upload speeds were horrendous (like 500KB). Online gaming uses both upload and download speeds simultaneously since you're downloading content from your opponent, while at the same time uploading content to your opponent.

I ended up canceling the service and just using the free dorm connection from there on.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Damn this is tech..........guess ill start search massive google threads.......