All SS Camaros are SLP cars right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlos sauceda
and i have heard of ppl getting there ss camaros with longtubes and ypipes from factory
Absolutely not.

11 SLP options in total:

1) Intake/Exhaust
(all four of these exhaust options were ONLY available in 2002)
-335HP Dual-Dual Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$594 , MSRP:$699 ]
OR
-335HP Center Mounted Performance Exhaust System [Cost:$899 , MSRP:$1059 ]
OR
-345HP Dual-Dual Exhaust Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$849 MSRP:$999]
OR
-345HP Center Mount Performance Package with High Flow Induction System [Cost:$1159 MSRP:$1359]

2) Grille

-Camaro SS front grille (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$212 , MSRP:$249 ]

3) Wheels
-17X9", chrome plated, 10 spoke style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]
OR
-17X9", chrome plated, 5 spoke ZR1 style, Camaro SS aluminum wheels wheels with choice of SS logo center caps or bowtie logo center caps (N/A on 35th Anniversary models) [Cost:$849 , MSRP:$999 ]

4) Tires
-BFGoodrich g-Force 275/40ZR17 tires [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

5) Suspension
-Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension [Cost:$934 , MSRP:$1099 ]
OR
-1LE Suspension Package [Cost:$1650 , MSRP:$1899 ]

6) Differential

-Auburn High Torque Performance Differential with AAM Cast Aluminum Cooling Cover [Cost:$764 , MSRP:$899 ]

7) Deck Mat
-Rear Deck Mat with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mat) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

8 ) Floor Mats

-Premium Front Floor Mats with embroidered SS logo (35th Anniversary models receive unique mats) [Cost:$84 , MSRP:$99 ]

9) Car Cover
-Custom-fit Camaro SS Car Cover with locking cable and tote bag (35th Anniversary models receive unique cover and tote bag) [Cost:$135 , MSRP:$159 ]

10) Key Chains/Dash Plaque
-Two Camaro SS key fobs and dash plaque [Cost:$42 , MSRP:$49 ]

11) SLP Commemorative Portfolio

-Commemorative Portfolio that Includes: (See below) [Cost:$49 , MSRP:$59 ]
**Note: This is the regular SLP Camaro SS portfolio, not the 35th Anniversary Edition Camaro portfolio that was part of the GM 35th anniversary Edition Camaro package.

Originally Posted by TWS
Simpler than that. It takes 5 seconds with an LS1 Camaro. Look at the RPO sticker. WU8 = it's an SS No WU8 = it's NOT an SS. End of story.
Correct, except they are conversing as to whether all SS models went through the SLP line in New Jersey.

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
96-97 SS cars were done at SLP, 98-02 Cars were done at GM WITH SLP parts.
Source? I don't believe this was true. I recall that before the "SS Program" was taken 'in-house' by GM, the process of creating a Camaro SS would go like this:

1) Build a Z28 car with the WU8 RPO code, complete with a hood, rear spoiler, Z28 badges, etc.
2) Send to SLP for the changes; the hood/spoiler/badges would be ripped off of the car and replaced.
3) Subsequently, an SS would be born.

I remember reading someones description of their tour at the SLP plant in the late nineties, and they recalled seeing a pile of Camaro hoods in a corner; these hoods were wacked with a hammer just once, to ensure they were not used again.

Now, after the "SS Program" was moved 'in-house' by GM, the process was to place cardboard hoods and spoilers on the WU8 cars instead of building them to completion, and they would then be transported to SLP for the SS hood/high rise spoiler installation - at the bare minimum. The Y2Y RPO code appeared to be arbitrary, in that it was supposed to signify SLP second sticker content (any SLP options in addition to the hood/spoiler), but it was very inconsistent. Many cars with no additional content got the Y2Y code, and vice-versa. I will note that I'm not 100% certain on this part, but close; RPMWS6 may be able to correct me a few times..

Originally Posted by bill12690
i've never been able to find an slp sticker on my car, but i do have the build number along with a birth certificate and window sticker directly from SLP..made a nice birthday present from the girlfriend..

basically, im in the same boat as rooster.

edit: as far as the hood/spoiler paint, i know particularly on my car, you can tell that they were painted differently, somehow, than the rest of the car. they have a very slightly different finish.. yet the spoiler and hood match perfectly.
Your car was still sent to SLP for the hood/spoiler installation, which is why you may notice a difference in paint; you just never received the SLP "Second sticker" because no additional options were ordered.

Now, I have a few documents saved as well, which pertain to the discussion, and I'll place them below.

Quick Reply: All SS Camaros are SLP cars right?