Anyone here work for BestBuy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acertx
So you're saying you should destroy a perfectly good product right at the end of the warranty so you get your moneys worth? Awesome idea, sounds almost like fraud. Its also not like the manufacturers offer a 1 year warranty already and most electronics are obsolete after a year or anything. Oh and I have sold these before years ago where the company, "Office Max", even told us they were a ripoff.
Sounds like taking full advantage of what the warranty covers... Call it what you want, i have never had issues with best buy claiming fraud and have literally gone through 7 ps3 controllers in less than a year.

Fact of the matter is the OP is more than likely going to have to get stuck with the busted TV and be out the $600. If he would have got the warranty he could be watching the replacement TV right now.... Such a ripoff huh?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you pay with a CC? I buy everything with a CC and when problems like this arise I dispute the charges!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Now that I am at home, I'll give a little bit better run down.

I bought this TV on Wednesday. I bought it for work. I work at a place with arcade games down the road. On some older games, they use 50 inch rear projection TVs. Over the years, you get screen burn on each tube, the convergence "chips" get hot and throw it off until a tube goes bad and shuts the whole monitor down. The only 2 options are scrap it or replace the monitor. If the game makes money, you put a monitor in it. Seeing as they don't sell 50 inch rear projections any more, you use a 42 LCD/plasma TV because it fits in the hole of the cabinet where the original monitor sat. I have bought quite a few of these monitors for various locations, never without a problem. Until this one.

I bought Wednesday, leave it in the back (locked up) in my office because the end of the day is near, and I don't want to start a big project for the day. So Thursday rolls around. I start getting to work on the cabinet. I gut it, pull the old monitor chassis out, set my mounting points in it, get my brackets and whatnot done. By this time, it's about 8pm. I figure I might as well hang the monitor in it. I get one of the guys that work with me to come help me get this thing out of the box. I cut the top open, as I forgot about the tabs on the bottom. We reach in, me on one side and the other buy opposite, and pull it out. We get it out and set it on top of the box while we hold it. I pull the covering off and low and behold, the screen has a crack straight down the middle of it. I touch it to see if it really is busted and as I gently press on it, it cracks more. Son of a bitch. I put the covering back on it and put it back in the box. I figure they'll take it back and exchange it so I'll deal with this later.

Today I get to work around 11. Since I want to finish this project, I load this thing back into the truck and go to bestbuy. Bring it in and tell the girl behind the counter what the problem is. She's got to get an MOD and a home theater guy. No problem, I'll be over on the bench. So I get this MOD talking to me. He asks what happened, I tell him. He says wait a minute, he's got to talk to some people and he'll be back. He is standing about 30 feet away talking with his "crew". Then, just he comes over. He says he can't take it back. I say why not and he says because it's damaged. Well no ****, why else would I want to exchange it?! He goes on to tell me all of this store policy stuff and then, he's the kicker, he says he doesn't want it back because it's worthless to them. I guess they think its a lump of gold for me. For 10 minutes I talked to this guy and I was really cool about the situation. For a while. As I talked, he wouldn't budge at all. So I asked this question, are you telling me that I spent 584 bucks here on a busted TV that I can't exchange and I have to keep it. He said yes. At that point, the "*****" started flowing. It was like having the squirts. They just kept coming out and everytime I clentched, more and more came out.

At that time, I said ****, box my **** up. So they box up this pile of dogshit and then they have the nerve to say that they'll get a cart and take out to my car. I said **** you, threw it over my shoulder and started walking out. The door guy says, sir I need to see you receipt. I tell him **** you and walk out.

I probably shouldn't have done that but, I think most of anyone would've done the same thing. I spend $600 and they tell me to **** myself.

So I go back to work, wanting to punch kittens and babies, and start making my calls. I call the 1800 on the receipt and long story short, after 57 minutes on the phone, they tell me **** you. So I call corporate. Same thing. **** you. I paid in cash, they have my money and unloaded a TV. I should've paid by credit card. I at least would be able to have my money back.

Then I call the manufacturer. They have been the most helpful out of this whole ordeal. Even though they can't do anything to help, they calmed me down. I spent an hour on the phone with them as well over this.

Tomorrow, I am going to blow their phones up and talk to the same people. I don't care $600 is $600. I am also going to let our corporate know about this little issue and make sure no one in our entire line up of companies ever buys anything from bestbuy.

And on a side note, BestBuy has insurance for stuff like this. Even if I broke the TV, they should exchange it and make a claim. I promise you if I went to Wal Mart and the same thing happened, they would say "We can't take this back" Then I would say "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you right" They would say "My mistake, go get another."
Old 09-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and I shouldn't have to pay for a warranty. The manufacturer has a 1 year warranty. It's not their fault bestbuy sells busted equipment and tells their consumers to eat ****. I asked one guy at corporate and he said he gets about 2 calls a week on things like this. He is one guy out of the "tons" of people he said do the same thing there.

They should change how they sell the warranty. They should say "You should buy our warranty. You might get you TV home it could be broke. We will tell you that you are a piece of **** and we already have your money so **** off. Unless you get our warranty! yay!"
Old 09-24-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thealien
Did you pay with a CC? I buy everything with a CC and when problems like this arise I dispute the charges!

+1 Was gonna ask the same.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy another one on your CC from a different Best Buy, swap the TV's , try to return it, when they wont take it dispute it on your CC and get your money back..
Old 09-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Actually I was going to do that, but my GM won't do it. I think he would rather the company eat the $600 rather then me go to jail.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Tell your company they need a company credit card and would be protected from these things in the future.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
Now that I am at home, I'll give a little bit better run down.

I bought this TV on Wednesday. I bought it for work. I work at a place with arcade games down the road. On some older games, they use 50 inch rear projection TVs. Over the years, you get screen burn on each tube, the convergence "chips" get hot and throw it off until a tube goes bad and shuts the whole monitor down. The only 2 options are scrap it or replace the monitor. If the game makes money, you put a monitor in it. Seeing as they don't sell 50 inch rear projections any more, you use a 42 LCD/plasma TV because it fits in the hole of the cabinet where the original monitor sat. I have bought quite a few of these monitors for various locations, never without a problem. Until this one.

I bought Wednesday, leave it in the back (locked up) in my office because the end of the day is near, and I don't want to start a big project for the day. So Thursday rolls around. I start getting to work on the cabinet. I gut it, pull the old monitor chassis out, set my mounting points in it, get my brackets and whatnot done. By this time, it's about 8pm. I figure I might as well hang the monitor in it. I get one of the guys that work with me to come help me get this thing out of the box. I cut the top open, as I forgot about the tabs on the bottom. We reach in, me on one side and the other buy opposite, and pull it out. We get it out and set it on top of the box while we hold it. I pull the covering off and low and behold, the screen has a crack straight down the middle of it. I touch it to see if it really is busted and as I gently press on it, it cracks more. Son of a bitch. I put the covering back on it and put it back in the box. I figure they'll take it back and exchange it so I'll deal with this later.

Today I get to work around 11. Since I want to finish this project, I load this thing back into the truck and go to bestbuy. Bring it in and tell the girl behind the counter what the problem is. She's got to get an MOD and a home theater guy. No problem, I'll be over on the bench. So I get this MOD talking to me. He asks what happened, I tell him. He says wait a minute, he's got to talk to some people and he'll be back. He is standing about 30 feet away talking with his "crew". Then, just he comes over. He says he can't take it back. I say why not and he says because it's damaged. Well no ****, why else would I want to exchange it?! He goes on to tell me all of this store policy stuff and then, he's the kicker, he says he doesn't want it back because it's worthless to them. I guess they think its a lump of gold for me. For 10 minutes I talked to this guy and I was really cool about the situation. For a while. As I talked, he wouldn't budge at all. So I asked this question, are you telling me that I spent 584 bucks here on a busted TV that I can't exchange and I have to keep it. He said yes. At that point, the "*****" started flowing. It was like having the squirts. They just kept coming out and everytime I clentched, more and more came out.

At that time, I said ****, box my **** up. So they box up this pile of dogshit and then they have the nerve to say that they'll get a cart and take out to my car. I said **** you, threw it over my shoulder and started walking out. The door guy says, sir I need to see you receipt. I tell him **** you and walk out.

I probably shouldn't have done that but, I think most of anyone would've done the same thing. I spend $600 and they tell me to **** myself.

So I go back to work, wanting to punch kittens and babies, and start making my calls. I call the 1800 on the receipt and long story short, after 57 minutes on the phone, they tell me **** you. So I call corporate. Same thing. **** you. I paid in cash, they have my money and unloaded a TV. I should've paid by credit card. I at least would be able to have my money back.

Then I call the manufacturer. They have been the most helpful out of this whole ordeal. Even though they can't do anything to help, they calmed me down. I spent an hour on the phone with them as well over this.

Tomorrow, I am going to blow their phones up and talk to the same people. I don't care $600 is $600. I am also going to let our corporate know about this little issue and make sure no one in our entire line up of companies ever buys anything from bestbuy.

And on a side note, BestBuy has insurance for stuff like this. Even if I broke the TV, they should exchange it and make a claim. I promise you if I went to Wal Mart and the same thing happened, they would say "We can't take this back" Then I would say "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you right" They would say "My mistake, go get another."
I would try another store atleast.
Like i said i used to work at one in Dallas. You can call the walnut hill store off i75 and ask for craig brown the general manager, nice guy and he usually takes care of customers.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chriswtx
buy another one on your cc from a different best buy, swap the tv's , try to return it, when they wont take it dispute it on your cc and get your money back..
ding ding!!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

Never worked at best buy, but i worked at fry's and currently work at conn's. Any type of cracked screen is considered physical damage. Even if only the inner lcd is cracked. At Fry's we'd say **** you and that would be it. At conn's, it's really up to the manager if he wants to take it back or not. We would just slap an otc sticker on it and send it back to the manufacturer, and give you a new one. To my understanding, best buy is the same way. They have to power to take it back, but it's up to the manager.

With conn's it would be easy to get it done due to recent problems they've had, but best buy knows they actually have a leg to stand on. Was the outer glass screen cracked as well, or only the inner screen? If it's just the inner screen, extreme heat could have caused that and they should replace it for you. Most tv's are packaged pretty damn well to prevent damage from impact, but accidents happen. Most likely on their part. If it's a plasma, did you lay it down on the ride home? That could have caused it as well.