Old 09-25-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tint laws changed last year.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/tint.htm
Old 09-28-2010, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I'm trying to figure out if there's still a way to get this dismissed (Because I sure as hell don't want to pay a $170 fine for driving with suspended license) by stating that the reason he stopped me was not valid. He specifically said; "The reason I stopped you was because you have no mufflers" I told him yes I do, and he kept arguing with me that I didn't

I guess I now know that my true duals are an illegal exhaust system since the tail pipes do not cross the passenger side of the vehicle, BUT it does have mufflers, which was his reason for stopping me. He did not prove this after I gave him the option to look down and check himself. He also specifically said himself that he was letting me go because I had no way of knowing my license was suspended (so then why give me a ticket in the first place???).

Do you think if I took a picture of my exhaust the day of my court appearance would help my case any bit to get this dismissed?
Old 09-28-2010, 07:09 PM
On The Tree

With my experience, Honestly no. Try a lawyer.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sometimes you just gotta bend over and take it.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Yes, technicly moving the location of cats is illegal. Its a federal thing, so if your state does't care you're OK.... Unless a cop wants to be an *** about it.

This makes LTs technicly illegal, but you can run duals off of your stock cats and be legal.

As for mufflers, you'd have to check out any local and state noise ordinances. Just having mufflers isn't enough if they're "too loud" which is a subjective thing.
quoted for truth

also-the true dual thing, 'true duals' are not limited to dumped exhaust. True dual means there is no y-pipe or h-pipe. It is not illegal unless the tips do not exit out from under the vehicle-or past the cab of a truck (which would be dumped exhaust=illegal)
Old 09-28-2010, 09:21 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
True dual means there is no y-pipe or h-pipe.
Wrong. Most quality true dual systems will have an h-pipe or an X-pipe.

Back on topic, those who have posted that his system is illegal because the exhaust gasses exit under the passenger compartment are spot on. An exhaust system, to be legal here, must exit past the passenger compartment of the vehicle. That can be behind the vehicle, but it can also be out the side (like the previously mentioned Dodge Viper side pipes).
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

To the OP - I'm in law enforcement. There's no way you're going to get the ticket dismissed because the officer pulled you over for something he only warned you about. The fact is: you were driving on a suspended license. Basically, if you go to court, it will be up to you to prove that you were not driving on a suspended license. And keep in mind that he will have a copy of your driving record at court showing that your license was invalid on the date he stopped you.

And by the way - there was a recent appeals court case that upheld that the front license plate in Texas has to be attached to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. Displaying it in the windshield doesn't count.

And, yeah, you're lucky he didn't arrest you and/or impound your car. He certainly was within his authority to do so.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 241 Likes on 197 Posts

marble falls...........isnt that a speed trap town???
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM
12 Second Club

Damn dude. You need a witch Doctor to pull this luck off of you.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
marble falls...........isnt that a speed trap town???
It had that reputation at one time. Now - not so much. I work for the county.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
It had that reputation at one time. Now - not so much. I work for the county.
I have been to or through Marble falls a couple of times in the last 2 years. I have not seen anything like that. However, Bee Caves (West side of Austin) are rediculous. Watch out if you are going through there.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
However, Bee Caves (West side of Austin) are rediculous. Watch out if you are going through there.
Don't even get me started with this part of town I was living there in West Lake Hills for 2 months.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
To the OP - I'm in law enforcement. There's no way you're going to get the ticket dismissed because the officer pulled you over for something he only warned you about. The fact is: you were driving on a suspended license. Basically, if you go to court, it will be up to you to prove that you were not driving on a suspended license. And keep in mind that he will have a copy of your driving record at court showing that your license was invalid on the date he stopped you.

And by the way - there was a recent appeals court case that upheld that the front license plate in Texas has to be attached to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. Displaying it in the windshield doesn't count.

And, yeah, you're lucky he didn't arrest you and/or impound your car. He certainly was within his authority to do so.
Thanks, guess I'll just pay the ticket then.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Launching!

man honestly i dont drive my car the last week of the month. because after several infractions that were kind of the same **** your going through except my car has Alabama plates so none of the tickets ever stuck, but i noticed i was always getting pulled over at the end of the month, then one of my cop buddies told me that the last week of the month is when alot of officers try to fill their quota for the month. i hardly ever drive my firehawk anymore i hate seeing it get beat up driving it all the time now i just bring it out like maybe once or twice a month then it gets washed and back in the garage. knock on wood i have not been pulled over in a while but i really noticed a big difference when i quit driving my car all the time, plus when you make them really loud you can expect to get pulled over a lot, at least thats how it was for me.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
man honestly i dont drive my car the last week of the month. because after several infractions that were kind of the same **** your going through except my car has Alabama plates so none of the tickets ever stuck, but i noticed i was always getting pulled over at the end of the month, then one of my cop buddies told me that the last week of the month is when alot of officers try to fill their quota for the month. i hardly ever drive my firehawk anymore i hate seeing it get beat up driving it all the time now i just bring it out like maybe once or twice a month then it gets washed and back in the garage. knock on wood i have not been pulled over in a while but i really noticed a big difference when i quit driving my car all the time, plus when you make them really loud you can expect to get pulled over a lot, at least thats how it was for me.
Yeah, kinda sucks for me right now since this is my DD. I try to save for a downpayment on a DD, but then stupid **** like this always arises and I have to fork over on something else.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

dude you are lucky, i've had a ticket for no cats, dumps, and no front LP. i think the grand total came to $290.

and btw there is nothing for you to fight because he just gave u a warning, fix your license, take your licks, and be done with it.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I did not read all of the posts. I have always heard your exhaust must exit behind the passenger compartment. Since you have a hatchback, your exhaust must exit at the rear bumper.

If you are looking to avoid unwanted attention from the police, stick with a more tame exhaust and don't go too crazy on the window tint. I have found these 2 things probably attract the cops the most.

Pay your tickets and move on.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Banned

Just found out I could renew my license already, got it fixed online. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

funny how some officers wont admit theres a quota that has to be meet, i got pulled over for the license plate not being on the front and ended up getting my car towed , got a ticket for no seat belt (took it off when i turned off the car after getting pulled over) and just a warning for license plate. i asked around here about it and and officer here said that theres no such thing as having a quota. well to me it sure as hell seems like it.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tomtomLS1Z28
funny how some officers wont admit theres a quota that has to be meet...i asked around here about it and and officer here said that theres no such thing as having a quota. well to me it sure as hell seems like it.
A "quota" is illegal in the State of Texas:

Sec. 720.002. PROHIBITION ON TRAFFIC-OFFENSE QUOTAS. (a) A political subdivision or an agency of this state may not establish or maintain, formally or informally, a plan to evaluate, promote, compensate, or discipline:

(1) a peace officer according to the officer's issuance of a predetermined or specified number of any type or combination of types of traffic citations; or

(2) a justice of the peace or a judge of a county court, statutory county court, municipal court, or municipal court of record according to the amount of money the justice or judge collects from persons convicted of a traffic offense.

(b) A political subdivision or an agency of this state may not require or suggest to a peace officer, a justice of the peace, or a judge of a county court, statutory county court, municipal court, or municipal court of record:

(1) that the peace officer is required or expected to issue a predetermined or specified number of any type or combination of types of traffic citations within a specified period; or

(2) that the justice or judge is required or expected to collect a predetermined amount of money from persons convicted of a traffic offense within a specified period.

(c) Repealed by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 737, Sec. 1, eff. June 19, 2009.

(d) This section does not prohibit a municipality from obtaining budgetary information from a municipal court or a municipal court of record, including an estimate of the amount of money the court anticipates will be collected in a budget year.

(e) A violation of this section by an elected official is misconduct and a ground for removal from office. A violation of this section by a person who is not an elected official is a ground for removal from the person's position.

(f) In this section:

(1) "Conviction" means the rendition of an order by a court imposing a punishment of incarceration or a fine.

(2) "Traffic offense" means an offense under:

(A) Chapter 521; or

(B) Subtitle C.

Quick Reply: Are True Duals Illegal?