Are True Duals Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ So then can you explain to me the sandy vag attitude that all troopers have? Surely, if they weren't getting compensated (monetary or not) then they wouldn't have an incentive to pull people over.

I'll give an example:
Some of us were out at a meet last night, two troopers pull over someone next to the parking lot we were at. One of us leaves to go do something, one of the troopers that was there immediately followed the friend and pulled him over and cited him for not having a 3rd brake light. Clearly, a threat to society.

If there is no "quota", then can you explain his reasoning for completely stopping what he was doing with the other car, and chasing someone else for no reason? Or are all troopers just ********?

Last edited by westtexasbuff; 09-30-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
A "quota" is illegal in the State of Texas
at least officially.

they might not admit it, but I truly believe that there are quota's. legal or not.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
And by the way - there was a recent appeals court case that upheld that the front license plate in Texas has to be attached to the FRONT OF THE VEHICLE. Displaying it in the windshield doesn't count.
I got popped 3 times for having it on my windshield in small towns outside of Lubbock. One resulted in a full car search (30 mins).

The city cops would never hassle me for it. DPS seems to have something up their ***.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
^^^ So then can you explain to me the sandy vag attitude that all troopers have? Surely, if they weren't getting compensated (monetary or not) then they wouldn't have an incentive to pull people over.

I'll give an example:
Some of us were out at a meet last night, two troopers pull over someone next to the parking lot we were at. One of us leaves to go do something, one of the troopers that was there immediately followed the friend and pulled him over and cited him for not having a 3rd brake light. Clearly, a threat to society.

If there is no "quota", then can you explain his smugness? Or are all troopers just ********?
Yes they are

There's no official "quota" I think. However, if everyone in your department is averaging x tickets per month and you're below that I'm sure your supervisor will talk to you to fix the problem.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Everyone listen up: there are NO ticket quotas in Texas. Period. End of story. DPS does evaluate the number of contacts that a trooper makes - but those can be written warnings or they can be citations or they can be working a traffic accident. But, some of you just won't believe it no matter what you're told. That's fine - everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Banned

DPS does evaluate the number of contacts that a trooper makes
So you're saying they "evaluate" them on how many citations they give, and probably give bonuses or what not to those who give more right? So now they have an incentive to stop everyone for no ******* reason.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

So you're saying they "evaluate" them on how many citations they give, and probably give bonuses or what not to those who give more right? So now they have an incentive to stop everyone for no ******* reason.
Now you're just being dense on purpose. They simply look to see if troopers are actually out there working. There's no bonus system or any crap like that. Just pay your damn ticket.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Banned

Now you're just being dense on purpose. They simply look to see if troopers are actually out there working. There's no bonus system or any crap like that. Just pay your damn ticket.
I already did pay it, thanks.

If there's no bonus system, then why do they evaluate them? Just curious. If they are not citing enough people, then do they tell them they need to be more strict and cite more? How am I being dense, by stating the obvious?
Old 10-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Anyone honestly think there aren't "unofficial" quotas in law enforcement agencies?
Really?

Really?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

I already did pay it, thanks.

If there's no bonus system, then why do they evaluate them? Just curious. If they are not citing enough people, then do they tell them they need to be more strict and cite more? How am I being dense, by stating the obvious?
As I said earlier, DPS looks at a trooper's citizen contacts. Troopers are expected to make a certain number of contacts in a shift. These contacts can take the form of traffic stops, DWI arrests, working traffic accidents, etc. On traffic stops, they have the option of writing a warning or a citation - DPS does not care as long as they are out contacting the public.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T/A-Speedfreak
Anyone honestly think there aren't "unofficial" quotas in law enforcement agencies?
Really?

Really?
Believe what you want. I'm telling you that there are no ticket quotas.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Teching In

I am sorry for your legal troubles, however!,
It amuses me to read posts like this,
that say that the State or Local police are f*cktards!,
and then, only after reading the post,
to find out you admitted that,
you were driving without a valid state drivers license, and had no front license plate this time!, & also dark tinted widows!
and before this incident,
(3 years ago) you were driving with no valid insurance the last time you were stoped!
and you do not see that you were in the wrong both times!,
and then you point the finger at the cop(s) and say they had no justifyable right to stop you!,
when you are clearly breaking a law or two!

Good luck in court!

Old 10-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSwt00SS
it IS NOT ILLEGAL if your car does not have mufflers, unless there is a noise ordinance that needs to be proven said vehicle is in violation of.
Actually, it IS illegal not to have a muffler:
20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tony The Tiger
I am sorry for your legal troubles, however!,
It amuses me to read posts like this,
that say that the State or Local police are f*cktards!,
and then, only after reading the post,
to find out you admitted that,
you were driving without a valid state drivers license, and had no front license plate this time!, & also dark tinted widows!
and before this incident,
(3 years ago) you were driving with no valid insurance the last time you were stoped!
and you do not see that you were in the wrong both times!,
and then you point the finger at the cop(s) and say they had no justifyable right to stop you!,
when you are clearly breaking a law or two!

Good luck in court!

Did you not read the whole post? I got that ticket with no insurance 3 years ago dismissed, how was I supposed to know that I was getting a surcharge on it? The state trooper himself even said the only reason he was letting me go was because I couldn't have known that I had a suspended license.

And yes, the reason he was stopping me was because I supposedly "had no mufflers" when I told him he was welcome to look under the car and prove to me that I don't have no mufflers. He still (after I said this) insisted that I had no mufflers installed, so yes, he is a fucktard, since I DO have mufflers. I understand that my exhaust SYSTEM is illegal, BUT I do have mufflers, WHICH WAS HIS REASON FOR STOPPING ME. Get my point now? He stopped me because he's a fucktard, and thus I got fucked with a ticket that I really shouldn't have gotten.

Either way, through all my 10 years of driving, I have never met a good cop, so whatever, I already paid the ticket, surcharges, and renewed my license.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whatever dude. 10 years of driving and you'd think you'd have grown up by now. But go ahead and blame everyone else for your problems. It's easier than taking responsibility for your own actions.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Whatever dude. 10 years of driving and you'd think you'd have grown up by now. But go ahead and blame everyone else for your problems. It's easier than taking responsibility for your own actions.
kthanksbye
Old 10-05-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D1StrokerC5
Actually, it IS illegal not to have a muffler:
20.15 Exhaust System. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with muffler in good working order and in constant operation.

Muffler defined: Muffler is a device consisting of a series of chambers or baffle plates or other mechanical design for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from an internal combustion engine and/or turbine wheels for the purpose of receiving exhaust gas from a diesel engine, both of which are effective in reducing noise.

The exhaust system includes the manifolds, gaskets, exhaust lines, mufflers, resonators, tailpiping, and supporting hardware.

Motor vehicles cannot be equipped with a muffler which is perforated or which was perforated and has been repaired, either by a muffler repair jacket or by patching or in any other way. In those cases where a muffler is perforated at the time of an inspection or has been perforated and has been repaired previous to the inspection, the muffler must be replaced or the vehicle rejected.

Some pickups are equipped with a camper or hard shell cover and are sometimes used for the transportation of passengers. The tailpipe should discharge the exhaust at the rear or sides. This truck modification will be considered as a passenger compartment.

The entire structure of a motor home-type vehicle is considered a passenger compartment. The cab only of all other truck-type vehicles is considered passenger or luggage compartment.

If the vehicle is equipped with lake pipes or similar devices, such pipes or devices must be securely plated and bolted or capped.

Dual exhaust systems may be modified to single exhaust systems and single exhaust systems to dual exhaust systems, provided the modification does not violate requirements concerning exhaust emission systems.

The catalytic converter will be considered as a part of the exhaust system on all vehicles prior to 1984 year model and will be inspected only visually (if present) for leakage. On 1984 and later model light truck and passenger vehicles, the catalytic converter will be checked for presence and leakage. Flexible tubing which meets the requirements listed below may be used anywhere in the exhaust system.
So my buddy's 2010 Roush he bought off the Ford dealer's showroom floor without mufflers is illegal?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
duals are illegal unless you have cats and have it routed past the axle. also, if you use mufflers such as spiral flows, you may fall in violation of one of the various noise laws
True duals are not illegal, if they were then there would be lots of illegal cars out there. However, no cats is illegal, no matter if it is on a dual system or single pipe system. And the exhaust does not have to pass the rear axle, it just has to exit outside of the passenger area, so sidepipes exiting before the axle are legal, because they are outside of the passenger compartment.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSS
So my buddy's 2010 Roush he bought off the Ford dealer's showroom floor without mufflers is illegal?
According to the Texas DPS, yes.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CalamitySS
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/faq_item.htm

How Many License Plates Am I Required To Display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.
*This guidance is referenced in TXDOT's requirements to properly display the registration certificate. DPS does not inspect the license plate itself, but instead inspects the license plate lamp.
As of the date of this post a law has been passed in Texas thanks to a brother of the dark skinned persuasion that sells coke being arrested for having coke in his vehicle and getting caught with it because he was pulled over for a no front plate violation.

Until this *word I wont use here* fought it all the way to the highest court in Texas the law about front plate placement was vague... but now it is clearly defined as the front bumper. The *word i wont use here* was driving a "pimped" out impala i believe... but he had the plate on the dash and one of those stupid vanity mirror "word I wont use here" plates where the real one should have been.

Sorry to thread jack... but I wanted to point out something I figured all our Texas Fbody friends have probably already noticed.

Quick Reply: Are True Duals Illegal?