Front License Plate Clarification by Highest Texas Court

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
the other reason is targeting for laser speed guns. (obviously just another method of revenue collection)
If there's no front license plate they can't accurately shoot you!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Shackleford
If there's no front license plate they can't accurately shoot you!
do not bet on it , there is a lot of other metal in the front
Johnny
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Teching In

You could always get one of these for a Vette and mod it to fit the F-body. It's not actually mounted to the bumper but the frame but is in front of the bumper as required by the law.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...me-p-1794.html

Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a stupid LAW no mater how you look at it.....just because someone found a loop hole. Im not gonna drill a hole on my grill much less my bumper. I just won't drive my car during the day or on state highways.

I'll just wait till this issue blows over...haha! It probably won't so im sure I'll just keep paying tickets....I think they are 150.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

who cares? if you get pulled over and get ticketed its not going to cost you an arm and a leg. just hassel. put the plate on, go to court, pay 10 dollars, walk out. pull plate back off of the car. ive only had to do this twice in the 3 years ive owned my car. def worth 10 a year to not have a front plate IMO
Old 09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do agree with the concensus here that front plates are ugly, etc, but we all know that it's the law and choose whether or not to abide by it. Just like using turn signals, coming to complete stops at stop signs and speed limits in general, some you follow, some you don't.

How I feel about it is, that if the only thing you're doing wrong is not running a front plate and you chose to do so, just understand that you may get pulled over and may get a ticket. No big deal.

If however, you have warrants, are carrying something illegal in your car or are just running a completely illegal setup on your car (straight exhaust, full Nos bottles, etc), why call the extra attention to yourself ??

I really can't agree with saying that it's completely BS in all cases to pull someone over for no front plate, it got that drug dealer back behind bars.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ws666
who cares? if you get pulled over and get ticketed its not going to cost you an arm and a leg. just hassel. put the plate on, go to court, pay 10 dollars, walk out. pull plate back off of the car. ive only had to do this twice in the 3 years ive owned my car. def worth 10 a year to not have a front plate IMO
for an ls1 t/a it's not a problem but for an LT1 t/a or camaro or ls1 camaro, it involves doing perminant damage to the front bumper cover
Old 09-27-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Why doesn't texas focus on nailing those with NO insurance and NO drivers license...better yet all those idiots talking/texting on the cell phones? Seriously all 3 of those are FAR FAR more important then a dumb piece of plastic on the front of a car. Forcing this law is just another way for the state to make quick money by constantly pulling over those who do not have one on when its just a minor thing compared to what I said above.

Seriously, whats more important? Illegal drivers or a legal driver with no front plate.
What better way to find some of them than to stop them for no front LP, and see if they have insurance and a valid DL?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
do not bet on it , there is a lot of other metal in the front
Johnny
Yep, lots of other materials on the vehicle are reflective as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have no problem with this law, even though I don't use a front plate because it's ugly. A couple of officers have already commented on here that they usually only give warnings, unless there is something else going on. I have in fact received three warnings (2 in the 'vette, 1 in Merc). However, I wasn't doing anything else and was let go. In the original case in question, this law was used as a tool to take some scumbag dope dealer off the streets and I loudly applaud that useage.
So, roll out in your classic cars, hot rods and race cars with no front plates if you want, but keep your nose clean from all the other BS! Don't drive drunk, smoke dope while you're driving, deal drugs, etc.
Also, God bless our law enforcement officers. That's a tough thankless gig.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FRC
I have no problem with this law, even though I don't use a front plate because it's ugly. A couple of officers have already commented on here that they usually only give warnings, unless there is something else going on. I have in fact received three warnings (2 in the 'vette, 1 in Merc). However, I wasn't doing anything else and was let go. In the original case in question, this law was used as a tool to take some scumbag dope dealer off the streets and I loudly applaud that useage.
So, roll out in your classic cars, hot rods and race cars with no front plates if you want, but keep your nose clean from all the other BS! Don't drive drunk, smoke dope while you're driving, deal drugs, etc.
Also, God bless our law enforcement officers. That's a tough thankless gig.
Well said..and thanks, I guess if we wanted praise and glory we'd have become firefighters instead
Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just wondering, if i place it behind my grille if it will be an issues that bad, you should be able to see it "coming" at you, and i could live with that, but there is not aftermarket piece that will allow me to bolt it to the front of my ride.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Clarification by Highest Texas Court