DS Carnage @ Lonestar Motorsports Park last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DS Carnage @ Lonestar Motorsports Park last night

Didn't know if I wanted to run due to the impending clouds over the track. Figured I could save the tech stuff and re-use it in (2) weeks and only buy a spectator pass. Wish I would of now...

Made my first down the track, EVER. Lightly warmed up the bald nittos @ 24 lbs and staged. Launched @ 2200-2400 and pulled a measly 2.19 60'. The car just bogged and then picked up. Ended up with a horrible 12.64 @ 104 in the 1/4. I think I let off before the end of the track. For anyone who hasn't been there, the lights are @ the 1/8th and they do have a small green light @ the 1/4, but they weren't on yet when it was pitch black outside. So I had no idea where the end of the 1/4 was. Figured I would make it to the top of 3rd and let off @ 6700 in 3rd (~115 MPH according to my gear calc). Then started braking due to the limited shut down, stock brakes.

Anyway I let it cool down for about 5 minutes and drop the tires to 20 lbs and headed back to the line. They put up the pro tree lights right before I ran as a 34 coupe (I think?) BB got up there and did the biggest wheel stand. Rode his bumper for a few feet. I then when up there and did a small 2 second burnout in first rolling through the lights. I then staged waiting on the other car to stage and revved up to 3K. Lights go amber and then green and I dump the clutch. KABOOM! I go no where and hear the drive shaft banging around. ****. Ended up shearing the u-joint on the DS connections. Bounced around pretty good but didn't damage anything else in the tunnel. Emergency brake cables look good, dented and scuffed the underbody a bit, didn't touch the exhaust or T/A.

I am not positive, but it may have slightly bent the splines on the output of the transmission. It was pretty tight sliding off. Once it got going, it was easy and I thought I was out of the park, but at the end it got pretty tight too. May have just been my funky position as I usually pull it while the car is on a lift versus laying on the back in the driveway.

Here are a few pictures. There are more detailed pictures here.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 PM

Ouch dude, harsh luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

holy cow. what kind of power are you puttin down? i take it you didnt have a DS loop?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

hey dude this is mason. glad to see you made it home. i was lookin for you before we left to see if you wanted my driveshaft to get home. gonna order a new one tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 PM
12 Second Truck Club

damn B, u tore it good. guess it was gonna happen whether it was now or in 2 weeks. well look at it this way, u can get u a steel on now and not worry bt it!!!! that coupe did do a big burnout, im sure it was nice and sticky
Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm glad a safety loop, that's the last thing I want to happen with my pedal to the metal. Didn't look like it did much damage to your car. Ive seen hella worse
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
holy cow. what kind of power are you puttin down? i take it you didnt have a DS loop?
450rwhp/475rwtq. At 3K I am making about 400 lb-ft to the tire, much less multiplied by first gear and ring gear. Bought a used SLP, didn't fit with T/A and Y-pipe. Funny thing is I ordered one of those Lakewood units, just hasn't arrived yet. Doesn't matter though, in my break, a loop would of kept it from hitting the ground, all else the same.

Originally Posted by msydow
hey dude this is mason. glad to see you made it home. i was lookin for you before we left to see if you wanted my driveshaft to get home. gonna order a new one tomorrow.
I appreciate it man. I was so focused on the damned AAA driver I forgot about everything. He didn't get there until 11:50 and the announcer ended up towing me to the gates with a strap. As soon as I unhooked, AAA showed up with a car hauler that wouldn't clear my long *** front bumper.

Originally Posted by 06tx4.8
damn B, u tore it good. guess it was gonna happen whether it was now or in 2 weeks. well look at it this way, u can get u a steel on now and not worry bt it!!!! that coupe did do a big burnout, im sure it was nice and sticky
Or on the way home or the next time my right foot was feelin' heavy. Probably weakened the u-joint on the 1st pass. I am pretty damn positive had I of gone before that coupe, I wouldn't of broken my ****. I got crap all over those bald nittos and I did a weak 1-2 second burnout. No way that should of happened. **** it though, what's done is done. Still can't get a hold of Marcos and if I can't reach him tomorrow at work, I'll pick a stocker up from Bad Chad.

With the way that DS came out, I am worried if I get one of those PST 3.5" aluminum units good for 1000 HP, I may twist my output shaft. I don't know how much those PST aluminum units flex before other **** breaks, because it won't be the clutch and it won't be the rear end....trans is next to go out.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

You think LMP's shutdown is insufficient? I've had plenty of time to shut down out there and when I was going I was trapping 118...You know you dont have to make the first turn right?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I couldn't see ****. I was riding the brakes @ 115 and ended up pushin pretty hard getting closer to the turn. Didn't know it went out further. Thats good to know, haha.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

thats tough luck man, yall with t56's seem to have harder luck with driveshafts and 10 bolts. prob oughtta add a loop while your in there.

next time feather it some lol
Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry for the bad luck man. I was one of the guys that helped push you out of the burnout box. It sounded pretty nasty.

And as far as shutdown I have never had a problem with stock brakes.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, we hit the driveline A LOT harder than some of you auto guys! I already ordered a modular Lakewood loop, wouldn't of done me any good in my particular break.

Normally, bald Nittos shouldn't of done this, I believe it was the track prep from the pass right before me. That car hooked hard! Mine obviously did too. It won't be back to the track until I rebuild the trans with a 30 spline output and PST shaft. Hopefully right around when we can get some good air in the winter.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
Sorry for the bad luck man. I was one of the guys that helped push you out of the burnout box. It sounded pretty nasty.

And as far as shutdown I have never had a problem with stock brakes.
Thanks for the help! I guess I just couldn't see that the shutdown went further. I'll have to get my passes in a little sooner next time, when the sun is still up.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Teching In

I gotcha on the driveshaft bro. If I woulda went I have a feeling I would have 1uped you on carnage. I want to see what my car will do @ the track as is speakers & all. After this though I will be waiting til truck is running. Hopefully this spring it will be on the road. I get off @ 7pm.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DKM DWN
I gotcha on the driveshaft bro. If I woulda went I have a feeling I would have 1uped you on carnage. I want to see what my car will do @ the track as is speakers & all. After this though I will be waiting til truck is running. Hopefully this spring it will be on the road. I get off @ 7pm.
Ehh maybe. Are you running DRs or street tires? I bet you would of just spun on the street tires and not broken a thing. I don't think mine would of broke had that coupe not been right before me, who knows though. Just a part of racin' at the track.

That truck is gonna be sweet. Ya'll finish the body yet? Thats your biggest setback, huh?

Text me your address later, I haven't been to your new place yet.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

You blew that DS up good!!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
12 Second Club

Yea I was the next car behind you when you snapped...sparks and **** went flying everywhere. Sorry for the bad luck man
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! Thats the exact same I did at the track a couple of weeks back. Thats weird. My u-joint is still bolted in too.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
Ehh maybe. Are you running DRs or street tires? I bet you would of just spun on the street tires and not broken a thing. I don't think mine would of broke had that coupe not been right before me, who knows though. Just a part of racin' at the track.

That truck is gonna be sweet. Ya'll finish the body yet? Thats your biggest setback, huh?

Text me your address later, I haven't been to your new place yet.
Lol.......Yeah I will be on street tires for sure. Hopefully next year when the truck is done I will minitub and put a 12 bolt. I have a weird vibration in my drivetrain, feels like the flywheel wobbles around 2800rpm. Just haven't made time to have someone diagnose and fix. The fenders, doors, and bed are painted. Cab is just waiting for the roof and firewall to be finished and painted. Wow I'm long winded today.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Postman
Yea I was the next car behind you when you snapped...sparks and **** went flying everywhere. Sorry for the bad luck man
Man, I didn't know so many tech people were there out at the track, haha. Earlier that day I removed the LS1Tech.com logo from the back window. It was all faded and looked like crap.

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Wow!! Thats the exact same I did at the track a couple of weeks back. Thats weird. My u-joint is still bolted in too.
I am thinking the u-joint let go first and the shaft bouncing around at 15 revs/second finished off the end of the DS.

Originally Posted by DKM DWN
Lol.......Yeah I will be on street tires for sure. Hopefully next year when the truck is done I will minitub and put a 12 bolt. I have a weird vibration in my drivetrain, feels like the flywheel wobbles around 2800rpm. Just haven't made time to have someone diagnose and fix. The fenders, doors, and bed are painted. Cab is just waiting for the roof and firewall to be finished and painted. Wow I'm long winded today.
before you know it