Lets say I wrecked my 70 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how (normally) this could happen to someone twice a day, unless you're driving excessively stupid. Not being a dick, but just saying...
Old 10-03-2010, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I don't see how (normally) this could happen to someone twice a day, unless you're driving excessively stupid. Not being a dick, but just saying...
this.

you may think you're a good driver, but the fact of the matter is that you've been driving like a year? maybe two? Haven't you already had like 6 or 7 tickets if I'm recalling previous threads correctly? Not to mention a few fender benders?

True, every now and then you do get idiots who pull out and it's their fault, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was because you were driving too fast.

Not to be an ***, but it'd be a shame to see a nice car totaled because of a teenage carelessness.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Domsz06
If all you have is liability like others have said your not going to get anything. A car like that if you care about it you should get full coverage so you don't have to worry about it, Being young you are going to get a lot of blame if there is an accident.
But if it's not my fault it shouldn't matter right?

And no I don't drive like an ***, in fact I drive pretty easy so I don't attract attention from the cops with my loud *** car. People just love pulling out in front of me, doesn't make any sense. I am going to put a camera in my car just to show you guys the amount of near misses I get into every few days.

It's maybe once about every other day to where it is close enough to get my heart racing, but usually I have to deal with something minor once to twice a day.

Friday night I was going to the football game going over the bridge and the bridge curves a little. Well some jackass didn't follow the curve and came all the way into my lane so once again I am locking them up. Luckily I was in the T/A which has amazing brakes.

I have only been in one accident, I was switching lanes and at the same time a big rig was switching lanes and speeding, we met in the middle basically, just a minor fender bender. 5 out of my 6 tickets were from BS, only one was a speeding ticket because I forgot about the school zone.

I drive within the speed limit, I am too paranoid to speed. Everyone thinks it's funny that the kid with the fastest cars at school drives so slow.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every 17 year old thinks they drive safe or easy. fact of the matter is, 99.999999% dont. Just based of your previous threads and posts i wouldn't trust you with a car if you were my kid.(not to be a dick)
Old 10-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Not trying to be an *** but you show how young you are when you keep saying "But if it's not my fault." The longer you live on this fine planet the better you will understand THE WORLD IS NOT FAIR! Just saying you are going to have to grow up & realize EVEN WHEN YOUR RIGHT,SOMETIMES YOUR WRONG Just saying, you seem like a nice enough guy but sometimes LIFE SUX
Old 10-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

6 tickets and you are 17? how do you still have a license? I have been driving for a little over 10 years now and have 3 tickets to my name and 0 accidents, minus my truck getting hit when it was parked in a parking lot.

Just cause you dont drive fast, doesnt make you a good driver.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92maro
Every 17 year old thinks they drive safe or easy. fact of the matter is, 99.999999% dont. Just based of your previous threads and posts i wouldn't trust you with a car if you were my kid.(not to be a dick)
I know where your coming from and it's cool. I'd be lying if I said I was perfect but generally most of the time I drive normal, I do have my fun though like everyone else. I think I've done pretty well so far though with 350hp cars, two years of driving and only one minor wreck that happened when I was going 2 mph. I just think it's retarded that I am going to total my car because of someone's stupidity.

The worst part is the way the seat belt is, I am guaranteed a broken collar bone at pretty much any speed if I wreck my Camaro.

I actually just counted the tickets, only five. Thought I had two drivers license tickets. Forgot my wallet, **** happens.
Speeding 47 in a 30, normal speed is 45.
Proof of insurance
Proof of insurance
Proof of license
Expired inspection
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You def need to talk to your agent. They have their own way of assessing the value of your car. It might not hurt to have it appraised. That will help you if you have to deal with insurance.

I would immediately take a ton of pictures of your car so you can show the condition before it was in an accident.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Unless you have Hagerty or something like that you will get nothing. Don't believe you will get NADA value because you will not. You think your car is worth a fortune because you put a paint job on it. Get real, and come back down to reality. Furthermore, you can not agree on a value unless the Appraiser from the companies come out and values it. Your car might be valued at 5-7k through Hagerty so don't think it is worth anymore, because it is not.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's only worth about $10k, maybe a little less as it sits, I know that. I know it's not a gold mine but NADA says a lot more though so if they went by that I would come out extremely ahead.

I have $6500 into it so as long as I don't loose money I am good. It damn well better be worth more because I was offered $8k twice before body and paint work. I'll have $11500 into it when I get the wheels on Tuesday.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

You should be able to predict somebody's stupidity. When you drive, you ought to be able to guess fairly accurately when somebody is going to cut you off, or when they'll pull out in front of you or etc. If you're in near miss situations every other day, then you're doing something wrong.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your screwed. 1 because of your age you cannot get specialty insurance. You cannot get an agreed policy through anyone else I have tried. Stae Farm Allstate blah blah will not do an agreed policy on your car because of the age(year of the vehicle). 2. No specialty insurance will give you an agreed polcy on a daily driver/antique car. I have Haggerty and they will allow me to drive my 73 occasionly on pleasure drives, but for the most part I am limited to car show, parades and for maintenance.

You are better off hitting the person you are trying to avoid than colliding with someone else trying to avoid the accident. You are responsible for your car so you hit someone else trying to avoid the accident it's your fault.

As far as blue book value you are going to have to prove the value. I wreck my 69 camaro and they said it was totaled I was like ok give me 20k. That's where they were like no unless you can provide receipts we will give you $1000(even though the car was clearly semi-restored and super clean. Luckily I kept receipts and they fixed my car not totaled it. $4800 worth of damage.

In short, keep receipts and hope and pray it is not your fault.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
It's only worth about $10k, maybe a little less as it sits, I know that. I know it's not a gold mine but NADA says a lot more though so if they went by that I would come out extremely ahead.

I have $6500 into it so as long as I don't loose money I am good. It damn well better be worth more because I was offered $8k twice before body and paint work. I'll have $11500 into it when I get the wheels on Tuesday.
No it is not, try and collect if something happens. 5-7k is what they sell for, but realistically if you did get someone to pay you would get maybe 1-2k. Don't push the system, you can't win in this situation. Do your homework kid that is all we are telling you.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen so many stupid replies by some of you in this thread. The police won't blame an accident on him just because he's a young driver, and it sounds to me like he's a much better driver than most people his age. I had a 71 Camaro when I was his age and someone pulled out and totalled my car. At the time I had a few tickets on my record but they didn't try to blame the accident on me just because of that.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So if I give them an a $7,000 paint and body receipt and $4000 wheel and tire receipt I should be good?

I think it's stupid I should be planning for this but whatever. And for the twice a day comment, that's only minor things. I guarantee if you actually look out for others wrong doings, you could count up twice a day also. The actual close calls are once every two or 3 days.

There is a lot of construction on 35 and usually all the bad stuff happens there. They have those barriers and most people just pull out without looking. The next hot spot is at school, there is a long line and people usually extend out into the intersection. When you are making the turn and the left lane is full, you tur into the right lane. Pretty much every day there is one person that says "F this" and pulls out of the left lane and into the right lane right in front of me and I am locking them up, I started going the back way because of that.

The craziest one was when someone slammed the brakes and flipped a U turn in front of me. I was in the left lane and he was in the right so he turned right in front of me and I was going about 50 mph, that wouldn't have been fun. My friend saw the whole thing and was jaw dropped(he didn't believe all my close calls either).

I dug my camera out and hooked it up into my car, be prepared to see some crazy **** guys haha.

I fully understand I don't have a gold mine, but I would like to get what I have out of the car. $5k in insurance money will barely cover the wheels and rebuilt trans. I am trying to do my homework by asking you guys .

Last edited by retardedpenguin; 10-03-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ProStreet_632
No it is not, try and collect if something happens. 5-7k is what they sell for, but realistically if you did get someone to pay you would get maybe 1-2k. Don't push the system, you can't win in this situation. Do your homework kid that is all we are telling you.
I checked NADA and $12,000 is average value and $7000 was low end value. So at least he'll get back what he has into the car and maybe more if he can prove it's in average condition.

Retail Low - $6,925
Retail Average - $11,950
Retail High - $16,100
Old 10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I checked NADA and $12,000 is average value and $7000 was low end value. So at least he'll get back what he has into the car and maybe more if he can prove it's in average condition.

Retail Low - $6,925
Retail Average - $11,950
Retail High - $16,100
I am not sure how accurate it is but 350 V8 and Factory Air bump it quite a bit.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

liability will not get you any money, car gets wrecked you get nothing. Get full coverage.

Here is a question for you, can you get Antique vehicle plates for your camaro? In Illinois you can, texas I don't see why not. If so get them! My dad has a bunch of old muscle cars with those plates on them and the insurance on them is dirt cheap through state farm. Talk with your agent about what you would get if the car was damaged. If you got the car appraised then you would have the insurance setup for that priced if the car got totaled.

One more thing, if this happens to you at least everytime you take the car out then buy a cheap beater. Hate to see you lose a nice camaro.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can but I heard you can't drive your car on average days with antiques. My insurance is only $20 a month for it so that's no biggie.

I like driving my Camaro every day so I think all my options are shot, I'll talk to my agent soon.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scramblerman
liability will not get you any money, car gets wrecked you get nothing. Get full coverage.

Here is a question for you, can you get Antique vehicle plates for your camaro? In Illinois you can, texas I don't see why not. If so get them! My dad has a bunch of old muscle cars with those plates on them and the insurance on them is dirt cheap through state farm. Talk with your agent about what you would get if the car was damaged. If you got the car appraised then you would have the insurance setup for that priced if the car got totaled.

One more thing, if this happens to you at least everytime you take the car out then buy a cheap beater. Hate to see you lose a nice camaro.
He's talking about if someone hits him, and he knows liability won't cover the car if it's his fault. Because of the age of the car he can't get full coverage and he can't put antique plates on a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Lets say I wrecked my 70 Camaro