Lets say I wrecked my 70 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lets say I wrecked my 70 Camaro

How much would I get for it through insurance? Some truck pulled out in front of me today so I jerked the wheel and drifted into oncoming traffic. This is getting ******* ridiculous, I shouldn't have to be scared to drive Lowe's for fear of loosing my car to some dick head. I was looking straight ahead so I almost didn't see him, I am glad there wasn't a car in the left lane. I was almost temped not to jerk the wheel and just hit him but I don't want to risk loosing $7,000 because of some *******. I find that jerking the wheel is more dangerous that just letting it happen anyways.

Right now it's not if I will total it, it's when. Usually about twice a day this happens. Would I actually get what the car is worth if it's totaled or should I upgrade my insurance? I drive it every day and I just turned 18 so I can't have that specialty insurance.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

how much coverage do you have on your car...

some companies allow you to set an amount just in case of instances like that one your talking about..or theft
Old 10-03-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Liability through State Farm. I just looked up NADA and average retail is $18k and low is $10k, I would say it's your average 70 Camaro. My stepdad said they just give you book value, so it looks like I would be doing ok.

State farm has an uninsured and theft coverage for me though.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Go buy a civic to drive around until you learn how to drive?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you only had liability they wont give you anything for it. Liability only pays for damage done to other vehicles or property. I agree with the learning how to drive comment...
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 92maro
If you only had liability they wont give you anything for it. Liability only pays for damage done to other vehicles or property. I agree with the learning how to drive comment...
thats true but if someone hits him(accident is not his fault) then his car will be repaired whether the other individual involved has liability or full coverage.

now if they dont have insurance at all...watch out...because then its hell from my understanding

could be wrong ive never been in a wreck where i was the driver
Old 10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So people pulling out in front of me makes me a bad driver? You guys are smart. Let me pull out in front of you in a 3/4 ton Dodge ram 20 feet from you and see how good of a driver you are.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

I would say bump it up to full coverage, i had liability and comp on my car and to bump up to full coverage it was only $12 more a month. This is for my 95 trans am and i am 34 also i have state farm as well.

-Buddy-
Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
thats true but if someone hits him(accident is not his fault) then his car will be repaired whether the other individual involved has liability or full coverage.

now if they dont have insurance at all...watch out...because then its hell from my understanding

could be wrong ive never been in a wreck where i was the driver
True, if someone hit him then it would be up to the other insurance company to compensate. But the situation he stated, if he ended up rear ending said truck he would be at fault. Thats not 100% set in stone but if you hit someone from behind, the odds of getting away with it are stacked against you.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I wouldn't have rear ended him, I would have t-boned him, I was inches from smacking into his fender.

And I am not trying to be a dick guys, but my driving has nothing to do with someone pulling out in front of me.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 92maro
True, if someone hit him then it would be up to the other insurance company to compensate. But the situation he stated, if he ended up rear ending said truck he would be at fault. Thats not 100% set in stone but if you hit someone from behind, the odds of getting away with it are stacked against you.
Not true, If someone pulls out in front of him then that guy failed to yield(Camaro has right of way, especially if the truck is pulling out of private property). And I am sure the cop responding would have put that down on his report then its up to the insurance companies to fight over who is at fault. But i have noticed in Texas they are doing alot of this both are at fault bs, like maybe the truck was 80% and the camaro 20% at fault. You just never know.

-Buddy-
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Unless the car is insured through hagerty or a company that specializes in antique auto you are screwed if the collision is your fault. State farm, farm bureau etc will cover the car but only with liability due to it's age so you cannot put comp or collision coverage on it. If the car is totaled and it is some else's fault you better have every receipt for every thing on that car. If not in the insurance company's eyes the car is only worth what bluebook or nada value is on the vehicle. What you think it is worth or sentimental value doesn't count in their eyes.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NADA is $18k though for average, so is that what I would get? Fresh paint, perfect body, decent interior. Good driver quality car but nothing close to show quality.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Coyotesa
Not true, If someone pulls out in front of him then that guy failed to yield(Camaro has right of way, especially if the truck is pulling out of private property). And I am sure the cop responding would have put that down on his report then its up to the insurance companies to fight over who is at fault. But i have noticed in Texas they are doing alot of this both are at fault bs, like maybe the truck was 80% and the camaro 20% at fault. You just never know.

-Buddy-
Thats why i said its not set in stone. It is up to the police report and then the insurance companies. But in a case where its his word against yours, which is not an ideal situation.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

You should probably call and discuss with your insurance adgent.

-Buddy-
Old 10-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

And lets be honest, Being a 16-17 year old kid you arent going to get very many benefit of doubts. People see a kid in an accident and without knowing any facts about what happened they will probably be assuming the kid is more thank likely at fault.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I should be ok, out of the last 60 or so times they would have all been t-bones, I would have just ran them over and it would be without a doubt there fault.

I just don't get it, I have a bright red Trans Am, you are going to see me coming. My Camaro has open headers, if you don't see me coming, you will definitely hear me coming.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

They will pay you low retail in most situations!
Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You need to talk to your insurance agent. Most companies offer an agreed value policy that lets you set the amount your vehicle is covered for within reason. Alot of collector policies don't allow for a Daily Driver, But an agreed value policy does.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

If all you have is liability like others have said your not going to get anything. A car like that if you care about it you should get full coverage so you don't have to worry about it, Being young you are going to get a lot of blame if there is an accident.

Quick Reply: Lets say I wrecked my 70 Camaro