Need help from shop/mechanic ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
About $350 installed at a chevy dealer. I think the part runs about $157 with like an hour and a half labor. Its not a very fun install.
^ This.

I had to do mine a long time ago but thank god I was working at a Caddy dealership (mech). Not a very fun install, indeed.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
If you need your car that bad take it to a dealer. Like others mentioned it could be the key cylinder, the pellet in the key, the relays. There are numerous things you can try but if you need to get your car going asap let the dealership handle it.
Any dealership? What's a good GM dealership around here for service?

Why not a reputable shop?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

The ignition module replacement requires reprogramming of the body control module, which has to be programmed using a tech 2 which is a gm tool. Unless you have a shop down there somewhere that has a tech 2.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:08 PM
11 Second Club

are you positive your battery leads are tight to the terminals, and then the positive to the starter is tight as well as the ground where it attaches to the frame?

It really sounds like an issue with a little bit loose of a wire.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Any GM dealership should be able to diagnose your problem. Call the ones nearest you they should be able to take care of you. Probably should stop posting and waiting on replies if you want your car done today .
Old 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Domsz06
are you positive your battery leads are tight to the terminals, and then the positive to the starter is tight as well as the ground where it attaches to the frame?

It really sounds like an issue with a little bit loose of a wire.
I'm positive the battery leads are tight to the terminals. My Dad said he tightened everything on the starter. He's good about that, but I guess it's a possibility that something is loose.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Any GM dealership should be able to diagnose your problem. Call the ones nearest you they should be able to take care of you. Probably should stop posting and waiting on replies if you want your car done today .
Well, I'm at work right now.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Most shops and dealerships close at 5 or 6pm and dont like doing indepth diagnosis on saturdays. Id make ride arrangements for monday at this point.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

if you dont have the money to get it installed theres an easy way to check and see if the cylinder would be the way. i had to ghetto rig a guys camaro like this because he came into the dealership and didnt have dealership money because they are a pain in the ***. you can buy a new ignition cylinder with the key. take it and plug it in below the dash (wires wrapped in orange) and disconnect your old ignition cylinder. turn the key to the on position on both cylinders and crank with the one in your column and it should turn on. i told you man its ghetto but it works then tuck it under your console until you get the money to have it installed.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had an intermitent problem such as yours it ended up being the fuseable links over by the fuse box on the drivers side. GL!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes thats also a possibility. ^^. also if your popping fuses, you could most likely be looking at a short which will cause high resistence in the line which will pop a fuse.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
yes thats also a possibility. ^^. also if your popping fuses, you could most likely be looking at a short which will cause high resistence in the line which will pop a fuse.
The only fuses that are blown are the two 1A steering wheel control fuses in the dash on the driver side. Nothing else is blown.

The car started right up today after work, too.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Had an intermitent problem such as yours it ended up being the fuseable links over by the fuse box on the drivers side. GL!
Thanks, Jeff. It sucks because this problem could be caused by so many different things. Damn electrical issues.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Launching!

If you have a steering wheel removing kit, take the steering wheel apart down to the clock spring.

My last Camaro broke one of the 2 wires going to the ignition cylendar that read the resistor in the key. The car wouldn't start randomly. If you're like me (getting frustrated and banging on the wheel/dash, etc.) then the no start issue could be intermittent. Breaking down the wheel isn't hard, if you have the tool. I think autozone has the kit for ~$20.

The fix for that (like someone else already said) is read the resistance in your key's resistor and match that with resistors from radioshack. Pull the lower dash panels down from under your steering wheel. There will be "speaker wires" running up the bottom of the steering column. I don't remember the color, but there is a connector in the middle and they're the only wires under the column. If you unplug the connector, you can plug your series of resistors straight into it. That's about $5 and 20 min worth of time for a quick diagnosis if you don't wanna pull the steering wheel. Just FYI...
Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 PM
Launching!

just bypass VATS, had a guy just bypass my factory one with a resistor and bingo. Guess It helps that I work at a dealership though. Oh and the aftermarket alarm is plenty enough to keep someone from just taking the car.