Did the lambo wreck???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Sorry to hear about your father as well. I was young when I lost all of my grand parents so when my uncle (dads brother) passed away 5 years ago I didn't want to lose dad. That is one thing I will never wish upon anyone is losing their parents or a loved one period.

Matt and I talk about buying a chassis every few months. Maybe one day we will move on a deal we find and build something fast That red Mustang that was posted was so tempting but I don't know just had to many things going on at the time. Don't get me wrong Herbie is very fun on the street, but you know I don't even street race so it's just stress relief now for me.

Though I do agree if you do not know me people think I am a totally different person. Believe it or not (not to bring up BL), but Zohair said between when I got to the Mile at ~9:30am on Saturday and Friday morning he said a lot of people coming up and ask about me. A lot of them asked if I was a douche bag or *******. They all laughed and explained to most of the people that I am really chill in person.

I guess maybe I should lighten up a little more on the forum. The days of Mike TexaSS (pre-gforce), Tit. Bar., etc... are all gone. I just miss the days when smack talk was fun and people didn't take it so serious.
We have a red 92 Cobra clone @ the shop for 2k, the car is actually pretty decent. Did you say titty bar, hmmm, lol...
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

I was figuring most of you knew each other and was waiting for someone to chime in. One thing that still disturbs me is how appearantly unstable some Euro cars are at speed. If my memory serves me correctly Ive seen more Euros spin out and lose control upon accel or decel, and they are not the fastest candidates at the Mile for say. Last year it seems I saw two Porsches get in the weeds, one Lambo went offroading so hard the driver was obviously scared shitless. I am very aware of the LSx bla bla but have rarely seen one crash do to aerodynamic instability. Flaco can even shoot a truck shaped like a brick to the edge of 200 and keep it straight.
Feel free to change the subject and interject opinion since we cant get good pics from a public event. I also am aware of the cross/head wind that may have contributed to the failure of the car in discussion

Last edited by 1c62nv; 10-25-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Cant find damn spellcheck!!!!!!1
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 PM
8 Second Club

You all still using Strictly for the dyno? If you are there after 6pm (week nights) or on the weekends hit me up. I literally live about 2 minutes from there. I've gone by a few times to say whats up to Richard.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
I was figuring most of you knew each other and was waiting for someone to chime in. One thing that still disturbs me is how appearantly unstable some Euro cars are at speed. If my memory serves me correctly Ive seen more Euros spin out and lose control upon accel or decel, and they are not the fastest candidates at the Mile for say. Last year it seems I saw two Porsches get in the weeds, one Lambo went offroading so hard the driver was obviously scared shitless. I am very aware of the LSx bla bla but have rarely seen one crash do to aerodynamic instability. Flaco can even shoot a truck shaped like a brick to the edge of 200 and keep it straight.
Feel free to change the subject and interject opinion since we cant get good pics from a public event. I also am aware of the cross/head wind that may have contributed to the failure of the car in discussion
Actually some European cars are VERY aerodynamic and are meant for top speed (see Ferrari FXX, Bugatti Veyron, etc..). Now you are correct stopping is not easy on them as they are mid and rear engine car. Now I do not know the technical reasoning behind it, but you are not suppose to use a chute on a mid engine or rear engine car. Something about it pulling the weight off the front tires. The Lambo that spun out in the grass actually set the record that same day doing 250mph. This is also the SAME Lambo that is crashed in these pictures. The brakes did lock up on the 250 and 249 pass where it caused him to spin out but Richard is not new to cars and handled it very well. The Porsche's well I can't defend that much. The GT2 that spun out 2 times well there is no reason for that other than that because of the wing they are not meant for high speeds, its for road racing. Now the standard Porsche like mine is actually better at high speeds, and Joe did lose control because his sunroof caved in due to pressure (could happen to any car if its not taped (which it wasn't)) and the car pressurized which lifted it and caused it to spin out.

The other orange Lambo that spun out on Saturday evening (after I left) was Jonah's 19XXrwhp one and from what I hear that put almost all the power in 2nd gear and well you saw what happened.

Flaco did work and I will not argue with that one bit. When he went WOT on even his 18Xmph everyone in the crowd including myself goes HOLY **** when that thing took off!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

You all still using Strictly for the dyno? If you are there after 6pm (week nights) or on the weekends hit me up. I literally live about 2 minutes from there. I've gone by a few times to say whats up to Richard.
We still use his dyno, PM me your number I will definatly hit you up.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

I can see the logic behind your statement and it just dawned on me that the Lambo is the spinner from last year. I have often wondered about chutes on rear/mids causing problems and it seems to be confirmed with outcomes like this Lambo. So perhaps the question is how to prevent it from happening in the future? I dont own one of these types but can appreciate all things done correctly and it would be interesting to see what will be done in the future. Are better brakes and relieving baffles for chutes needed? Who knows but its a shame to see all that engineering lost in an instant.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:09 PM
8 Second Club

I can see the logic behind your statement and it just dawned on me that the Lambo is the spinner from last year. I have often wondered about chutes on rear/mids causing problems and it seems to be confirmed with outcomes like this Lambo. So perhaps the question is how to prevent it from happening in the future? I dont own one of these types but can appreciate all things done correctly and it would be interesting to see what will be done in the future. Are better brakes and relieving baffles for chutes needed? Who knows but its a shame to see all that engineering lost in an instant.
I didn't know anything about rear/mid engine Chutes until that day either. I wanted one for the Porsche when it was done for Sealy (shut down room is bad), but now from what I was explained to it's very hard to make them work.

Regardless it is very sad to see what happen to that car.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

I would still be crying if that was my car, such a badass machine to be lost in the blink of an eye. Powell you just miss throwing the laundry out on old silver, Herbie does not need that.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

OK I found it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NU6xjTSY
Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 AM
On The Tree

Found it off of me,
Old 10-26-2010, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet he was thinking to let it land on the wheels instead of upside down. Or "Oh ****, this is going to be expensive".
Old 10-26-2010, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Just hate Vettes when it comes to parking... Fkn 1ft of nose that I can't see when I'm pulling in... My little bumper thing on my C5 had to hate me...

The chassis design is more rigid in those cars. You didn't understand it right because of how Rob explained it. The cage was a MAJOR part as to what saved him, nobody will disagree with that. But I am telling you look at a lot of chassis that is still intact. Unless you were there you don't understand the impact that car went through. My point was I don't think many cars would last through that including.... what??? A Porsche??? Yeah I doubt I'd be typing if that my car that did that with a full cage even...

BTW I didn't specify this in the other post, but people are starting to think that UGR and BL are related. They are not even close. They don't share tuners or anything. I even posted here that I thought the UGR would be king of the Mile car wise, which they were in Jonah's slower Lambo. If conditions were good SW could have ran a good #, but I think the Lambos have them covered.
cool thanks for the explanination. I really didn't know since I wasn't there, and you can only see so much from pics.

Yeah I hear you about parking with vettes, I always back mine in lol.

I wanted to come down for the mile, but I didn't. Wish I had now.....
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

video shows it perfectly.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

chutes can be used safely if installed correctly. I'm not saying his wasn't but I was doing some reading and talking to people and there are some do's and don'ts on chutes. I dont' know how his was set up. Some things he could have done wrong are:

1) not a long enough tether
2) too big a chute
3) braking before chute release
4) cross wind
5) anchor point too high from center of mass
6) non c02 chute
7) brakes locked up which caused weight transfer....

Like I have said i dont' know him, but know he has been racing a lot, so I'm sure he has experience. When you go fast, **** can happen... Not sure we will ever know what really happened, but he is alive and I bet he will be back.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, glad he was OK. pretty impressive car.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
ppp
Launching!

Originally Posted by Domsz06
chutes can be used safely if installed correctly. I'm not saying his wasn't but I was doing some reading and talking to people and there are some do's and don'ts on chutes. I dont' know how his was set up. Some things he could have done wrong are:

1) not a long enough tether
2) too big a chute
3) braking before chute release
4) cross wind
5) anchor point too high from center of mass
6) non c02 chute
7) brakes locked up which caused weight transfer....

Like I have said i dont' know him, but know he has been racing a lot, so I'm sure he has experience. When you go fast, **** can happen... Not sure we will ever know what really happened, but he is alive and I bet he will be back.

gonna go with #4 the 19mph crosswind
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ppp
gonna go with #4 the 19mph crosswind
with gusts up to 30......

also not sure if you saw but he hit the brakes before deploying and I'm told that is a BIG no no....
Old 10-26-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1,2,3,5 & 7
Old 10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Domsz06
with gusts up to 30......

also not sure if you saw but he hit the brakes before deploying and I'm told that is a BIG no no....
Look closely at the end of the mile, chute was deployed before the brakes. Just like you said a crosswind can kill you literally. The chute went out but you don't see it until it expands to the left of the car, and I think he realized that so I'm guessing he hit the brakes hoping to stop it from yanking the car into another spin. Something was going to happen regardless. I was told back in the early days of FWD Drag Racing about 25% of the time on a complete pass the cars hit a wall when they deployed the chute. I think they are using Bonneville style chutes on their cars, but dunno. Mid/rear engine cars aren't known for big timers in real drag racing so the use of chutes is only just coming about. Hopefully something will come about because stopping at Sealy at almost 150mph on front runners in my car was not very fun LOL!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if he is going to take a break from mile racing or do you think he will build another Lambo.

Quick Reply: Did the lambo wreck???