AR-15 insight...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Post up pics of the guns with you holding them and an LS1Tech sign so we know it's real. Even so you don't know what you are talking about either way.
lol your too funny man...
Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaro-Sutra
What are you looking for in a 1911? I just picked up my second Kimber today. Got a Ultra Raptor II to carry and picked up a full size SIS today.

Love the one on the bottom (what model?), not much of a Kimber expert, but plan to shoot a few of RCs this weekend, to get me going in the right direction.

B
Old 11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is only about 3-5 big machine shops that mass produce the receivers and then sell them to Rock River, Bushmasters, Colt, DPMS etc etc etc etc..... Don't believe me? Look on your upper for a small horse shoe, ohm symbol, hourglass etc...
those symbols have nothing to do with the machine shops that make them. those symbols are from the forging company. There are a handful of forging companies and they sell them to various machine shops and then gun companies buy them from machine shops. some gun companies have in house machine shops.
10 different machine shops will sell uppers with the same markings since they all get forgings from the same place.

example of a forging company
http://www.dekalbforge.com/cardinal/index.htm

example of one of the bigger machine shops
http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/
Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

What, I need to hit him up, I'd be down for going shooting. Want to get out as it's been a while.

Gun on the bottom is a Kimber Ultra Raptor II. Hard to go wrong with Kimbers for a 1911. It's definitely not the "only" brand to go with as there are several good 1911 makers. I have been happy so far however.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a few kimbers and they are pretty nice, a good middle of the road 1911 IMO. I dont liek the plastic MSH that they use though.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my CHL and I am wanting to get a carry weapon. I am looking for a 1911 but am kinda on a budget when it come to guns (don't care to spend thousands of dollars) but I am not one to cheap out either. I guess I am more of the in between buyer when it come to this. So any suggestions would be great.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Going by just the looks I want to try out the Kimber "Ultra TLE II" but whatever Kimber I decide on I def want the Crimson Trace Lasergrips
Old 11-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NoTractionLS1
I just got my CHL and I am wanting to get a carry weapon. I am looking for a 1911 but am kinda on a budget when it come to guns (don't care to spend thousands of dollars) but I am not one to cheap out either. I guess I am more of the in between buyer when it come to this. So any suggestions would be great.
Colt and springfield make some really nice 1911's they're a little cheaper than the kimber but still great guns.

i personally like colts but i definitely plan on adding at least one kimber to my collection. i really want a polished nighthawk t3 but i just cant bring myself to pay 3 g's for a pistol.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go to a shop or show and hold as many as you can in pocket, compact, to subcompact sizes. Make a short list, then rent the pistols and shoot them. Make your decision based on, dependability, how well it feels in your hand, how well it conceals for you, how well you shoot with it, and choose a caliber you are comfortable with and can afford to practice often. For conceal carry, don't go by what someone tells you they like or what looks cool. Looks won't mean much when it rides in a holster getting rub spots in the finish.

For instance the LCP isn't much to look at; however, my wife likes it, its dependable, and most of all she'll actually carry it beacause it is so small and light vs. her P239 that sits at home.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

one good theory that many people over look is to have multiple carry weapons (not at the same time)
Have different weapons for different situations. I carry a SA subcompact XD a lot of the time. Sometimes I may be wearing something or I may be doing an activity that wont allow me to carry that. I have a little keltec p32 that I can put in my pocket in those situations. having multiple weapons allwos me to carry in pretty much all situations. some people say that a little 32 isnt going to do much damage to someone but IMO it is better than nothing at all and it can be enough to get the job done.

As for selecting a gun. different guns work for different people. get a gun that is a known good quality brand and one that you are proficient with. do what Greed4Speed says and try some out.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aggiez28
one good theory that many people over look is to have multiple carry weapons (not at the same time)
Have different weapons for different situations. I carry a SA subcompact XD a lot of the time. Sometimes I may be wearing something or I may be doing an activity that wont allow me to carry that. I have a little keltec p32 that I can put in my pocket in those situations. having multiple weapons allwos me to carry in pretty much all situations. some people say that a little 32 isnt going to do much damage to someone but IMO it is better than nothing at all and it can be enough to get the job done.

As for selecting a gun. different guns work for different people. get a gun that is a known good quality brand and one that you are proficient with. do what Greed4Speed says and try some out.

I'll second the 2 or more gun idea. I have a XD40sc and a P238 or my wife's LCP if she isn't carrying it. The XD is just a bit thick for when I'm wearing shorts and a tshirt. The other 2 fit in a pocket and I don't have to worry about printing.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Going by just the looks I want to try out the Kimber "Ultra TLE II" but whatever Kimber I decide on I def want the Crimson Trace Lasergrips
Strini SS, ask and you shall recieve. Not the Ultra TLE II but close.
This my wonderful 1911 Kimber Tatical Entry II with Crimson Trace Carbon Fiber laser grips. I also just installed a Tatical grip safety but is not in the picture. the 3rd picture shows off the full length guide rod.
Attached Thumbnails AR-15 insight...-kimber1.jpg   AR-15 insight...-kimber2.jpg   AR-15 insight...-kimber3.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

RCC if and when the **** hits the fan im coming to your house... lol
Old 11-20-2010, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I'll say hands down aks are the most reliable weapons there are. Those bitches will hardly ever jam up. I had a brand new out of the box m16a4 when I was in the sandbox and if you don't clean that **** twice a day it's gonna jam, guaranteed! Aks could be buried in sand, picked up and will dump 30 rounds effortlessly. Not the most accurate weapon but is very reliable.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
This my wonderful 1911 Kimber Tatical Entry II with Crimson Trace Carbon Fiber laser grips. I also just installed a Tatical grip safety but is not in the picture. the 3rd picture shows off the full length guide rod.
How much was this gun its awesome. Its perfect
Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by camcamaro1991
Very Nice... If you don't mind me asking how much do you have into it?

Man the CHL class yesterday was long as hell but, Well worth it great info and I still know there more info to read up on....

B
Old 11-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Launching!

Talking

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
How much was this gun its awesome. Its perfect
Originally Posted by Strini SS
Very Nice... If you don't mind me asking how much do you have into it?

Man the CHL class yesterday was long as hell but, Well worth it great info and I still know there more info to read up on....

B
$1,250.00 for gun new (Dallas gun Show)
$280.00 Crimson Trace laser grip (ebay)
$27.00 short right side ambi-safety (ebay)
$40.00 Tatical grip safety (Kimber) not pictured but she's there now!

$1,597 so far setting the pictures above.

I havn't even counted my extra mags, case, ammo, tune-up springs, .22LR conversion, etc...
I have already put 700 .45 rounds & 1200 .22LR --> (helps with trigger pull) through her. I will be adding a .22LR conversion for my AR-15 too (just to shoot both for fun and cheap)

I love this 1911.
Thanks guys, I greaty appreciate the kind words, shes worth every penny.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 11-20-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be adding a .22LR conversion for my AR-15 too (just to shoot both for fun and cheap)
i have an extra one that i dont need. pm me if interested
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats the difference from like a bushmaster ar-15 from a rugar mini 14