Opti problems in the rain!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opti problems in the rain!!!!!!!!!

I have a 96 camaro with lt1 me and my wife were goin to the road house last nite in the rain. Bout half way there it started raininf harder ad my (ses) light start flashing and doin all kinds of crazy stuff is it win the light started flashing cat had no power u would half to give it more gas to make it keep up then the light would quit flashing the car would have power and almost lost car lol. So is there maybe like a water shield or something thay make to keep water off opti or thay mite not even even be problem.oh ya went to vatozone last nite to clear code witch it was p0300 mutiple misfire witch makes me think opti if ne one has some answers would be greatly appriciate thanks guys.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

damn that sucks hows the transmission doing
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DPRock
damn that sucks hows the transmission doing
Its doin good man u can build a trany lol its bad *** i appriciate it again like always shifts great couldnt ask for nething better wer did u say i could get that opti sheild at can u remember.and one more thing wat u guna charge me to rebuild my 350 turbo and transfercase for my blazer
Old 11-03-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well my 1st question is...is this the factory Opti or has it been replaced?? and if not how many miles are on the car??
reason I ask is cause My 95 did this but it wasn't the Opti, it was actually the Coil and about 4 fouled plugs
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It's the Opti, had it happen to both my LT1 cars. Yours is vented so just let it dry out. Other than that, either replace it or just don't drive it in the rain.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad u like the transmission Adam. I need to check into a shop location then ill become a sponsor on ls1tech.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

opti got wet... once it drys it should be ok.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In all the time I drove my LT1 to U of H, two years, it got caught in some nasty weather, I remember once I even had to drive through a flooded street and I never had issues.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
In all the time I drove my LT1 to U of H, two years, it got caught in some nasty weather, I remember once I even had to drive through a flooded street and I never had issues.
Then you're lucky.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't take it through a car wash either..the opti hates that!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

just get rid of the opti. put a crab style distributor drive and be done. if your water pump ever starts leaking it will mess up your opti as well.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mjcotroneo
just get rid of the opti. put a crab style distributor drive and be done. if your water pump ever starts leaking it will mess up your opti as well.
Ok explain how to do the crab style distributer wer do i find it and how much r they
Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DPRock
I'm glad u like the transmission Adam. I need to check into a shop location then ill become a sponsor on ls1tech.
U neeto do something david get ur name out there u build one hell of a trany lol
Old 11-03-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedZ28
Ok explain how to do the crab style distributer wer do i find it and how much r they
The intake just needs to be tapped in the right spot and an older style distributor can be installed. There was a guy who was doing the conversion on LT1 intakes a while back, if I find his site I'll PM you.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TechCam97
The intake just needs to be tapped in the right spot and an older style distributor can be installed. There was a guy who was doing the conversion on LT1 intakes a while back, if I find his site I'll PM you.
Ok thanks bro greatly appriciated would u go and nd replace cape and **** since i got water in her
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Then you're lucky.
I thought if you get the vented opti an you seal it properly then you should have no problem aside from the back seal wearing out.... My buddy runs the msd version and it has roller bearings in the back and the only problem he has now is the bolts for the rotor button were backing out... locktited the crap out of them we will see how that does.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by youguessit
I thought if you get the vented opti an you seal it properly then you should have no problem aside from the back seal wearing out.... My buddy runs the msd version and it has roller bearings in the back and the only problem he has now is the bolts for the rotor button were backing out... locktited the crap out of them we will see how that does.
So how how am i suposex to seal it rite wats the procedures in doin that this is my first time in doin this so im asking all the questions and answers i can get lol
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So how how am i suposex to seal it rite wats the procedures in doin that this is my first time in doin this so im asking all the questions and answers i can get lol
The MSD Unit comes with a gasket the goes between the cap and the actual opti...to seal a stock style unit I would assume you would just get some permatex gasket maker and make you own seal between the cap and Opti???
Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok thanks bro greatly appriciated would u go and nd replace cape and **** since i got water in her
Honestly, it should dry out fairly quickly as long as you aren't driving it around in the rain a lot. It used to happen almost every time it rained in my 93 Z28 and I would just have to wait for a while for it to dry out. It started doing it in my 97 Trans Am a few months before I sold it, but it would dry out quicker since it was vented. Getting to the opti isn't completely horrible, it's just kind of a pain in the ***. If your car isn't one you usually drive all the time then just let it dry up. If it's something you need for daily use then I'd probably go ahead and replace it if it keeps acting up when it rains.

Originally Posted by youguessit
The factory vented opti isn't that much better than the non vented. It works alright when it's new, but if it's stock then his is 14 years old. The MSD is a step up, but the only way to avoid the problems with opti's is to....well, get rid of the opti!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok, the guy (John) who used to run the business that modified the LT1 intakes to work with a distributor is no longer in business. I found a mirror for his old site though that shows how to do it.

How to modify LT1 intake for use with distributor.

The pictures can't be clicked on and made larger, but they are big enough to see what he's talking about. If you don't want to give this a try then you can always either replace your opti with a different unit or get rid of it all together with a Delteq Direct Opti Replacement Unit. It's just under $800, but it takes the opti out of the equation completely.