buying someone else's salvage vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default buying someone else's salvage vehicle

a friend of a friend has a bone stock 01 z28 that got in a bad wreck and is totaled. they already got paid by the insurance company, but the insurance company hasnt picked the car up yet. he told me i could pick a few odds and ends off it for my new v6 camaro DD.

i was thinking that as long as there is no mechanical damage to the drivetrain, that i'd buy the whole car to use it as a donor for an LS1 swap for my 3rd gen.

i doubt that i can buy it direct from the insurance company... but since they already paid him, is it too late for him to 'buy it back' for salvage value?

anyone have a ballpark estimate as to what the salvage value of a car like that is? i assume its a lot less than it would cost me to buy a pull-out LS1/4L60 setup and all the other misc **** i'd need.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he should be able to buy it back from the insurance company. just give him the amount to do that and have him buy it back with your money. then take the car. just make sure to get the title so you can get rid of the car shell easier.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I am pretty sure once he has cashed the check, the deal is done. Legally, if you remove any part off that car, it is theft. He "sold" the car to the insurance company. It's theirs now.

3500 if it can move on it's own power and 2500 if only motor and tranny good.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

whitehooptie, those numbers from experience? or do you have a book or something that they use?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

That's what I used to see years ago. Don't know about now for sure. No book
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Launching!

If it's in TX, he can call the ins company and offer to buy it back if it's been very recent. Chances are that if he let them take it, they probably already sold it to a salvage yard. In that case you'd have to contact them and make a deal. The adjuster can give him all the information about where the vehicle is now. Depending on how much he got for the total loss, the salvage value can be anywhere from 10% of that number to ~25%. Doesn't hurt to try though, good luck.

When my CTS-V was totaled I bought it back and recently one of my very good friend's brothers drove in from out of state and took it home with him to get roadworthy. He is going to end up with a SWEET 500 whp car for bottom dollar. I still have my C5 that got hit as well that I'm holding in case a GTM project bug gets into me.

I don't see a whole lot of salvage values going above 25% although I am working on a very interesting claim right now that could be the rule breaker, but it's not a camaro so apples to lobsters.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Teching In

If car hasn't been picked up, it's still available. Get adjuster contact info, then call & be persistent. The car will get picked up by the 'salvage pool', then auctioned a month or so later to salvage yard or dealer/rebuilder. You need to make your move BEFORE it is picked up. Likely, the adjuster or salvage handler will estimate its salvage value & shoot a take-it-or-leave-it price, usually much lower price than you would find on here.

Entire donor car is the best route for a LS1 swap, so go after it if you have the $$.