thinkin of goin for my CDL (need a career change)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
for oil field you will need your hazmat certs.
Not true, although it does help...

Originally Posted by Domsz06

and the reason the oilfield pays well is because you work 80-100 hrs a week, so gotta think what you want to do, work a lot to get more money, or what.....
Not true either. The hours CAN BE long, but as a rule I dont work more than 10-12 hrs a day 5 days a week. That's hardly 80-100 hrs a week.

My truck makes 140/hr... I put over half of that in my pocket
Old 11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my cdl without going to driving school and it cost me all of 300 bucks. All you do is get the cdl pamphlet from dps and study the following chapters, general knowledge air brakes and combinations. Once you can pass the self test at the end of each of those chapters go to dps and take the written test (given on computer). Pass that, and you can do a google search on cdl truck rentals and for about 250 bux they will bring a small truck and ctrailer thats very driver friendly and fairly easy to manuever to the dps of your choice for you to take ur driven test, pass it and you're done. This is what I did 6 years ago and am now right at 60K, I actually dropped from 65K last year and i pull a reefer unit and work for a great company out of California. In my opinion stay away from C.R England, and if you go to Prime inc which I don't personally reccomend DO NOT LEASE PURCHASE !!!!! Good luck to you and feel free to pm me for any ?'s
Old 11-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
I got my cdl without going to driving school and it cost me all of 300 bucks. All you do is get the cdl pamphlet from dps and study the following chapters, general knowledge air brakes and combinations. Once you can pass the self test at the end of each of those chapters go to dps and take the written test (given on computer). Pass that, and you can do a google search on cdl truck rentals and for about 250 bux they will bring a small truck and ctrailer thats very driver friendly and fairly easy to manuever to the dps of your choice for you to take ur driven test, pass it and you're done. This is what I did 6 years ago and am now right at 60K, I actually dropped from 65K last year and i pull a reefer unit and work for a great company out of California. In my opinion stay away from C.R England, and if you go to Prime inc which I don't personally reccomend DO NOT LEASE PURCHASE !!!!! Good luck to you and feel free to pm me for any ?'s
ya thats a good way to do it. im just goin to the school in weatherford its a month long course for 3200 dollats and they help u get a job after wards. i was talk to some ppl that went there and they said 2 weeks into the course ppl where comin up to them in the parkin lot offering them jobs when they get done
Old 11-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Launching!

Great, Good luck to ya. Make sure you know what you're getting into before shelling out 3K bro. Its either love it or hate it. The first year will suck but after the learning curve and crappy 1st year pay you'll be ok. Try to avoid companies like Swift, Cr england, Usa truck and Prime. They don't pay that well and have a bad reputation, but you do have to start somewhere.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Staging Lane

I am with Swift... And i love it. I am averaging 3200 miles a week.
All companies have their bads. Its all about what you make of it and having a
good relationship with your driver manager. Swift has i think 32 terminals is 48 states,
over 16,000 trucks and over 48,000 trailers. The training program is good as well. They pay you around 500 a week during training which last about 4-6 weeks.
You just have to do your research and find a company that will suit what your looking
for.

Quick Reply: thinkin of goin for my CDL (need a career change)