thinkin of goin for my CDL (need a career change)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default thinkin of goin for my CDL (need a career change)

i would like to drive for coca cola, coors, something in that general area is there any advise that anyone could give me in this area as far as money,what certifications i need, & any other suggestions on different places that would be better then the places i mentioned

thanks

Cody
Old 11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most places like that wont hire u unless u have a yr exp. do wat me and my freind are about to do where goin to the weatherford college to get are cdl its a month long course and they help u get a job afterwards
Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by perrco
most places like that wont hire u unless u have a yr exp. do wat me and my freind are about to do where goin to the weatherford college to get are cdl its a month long course and they help u get a job afterwards
If you don't mind driving out of state look into JB Hunt! My dad has worked there for some time now. They’re always hiring!!

Only thing is, he leave on Sunday and gets back Thursday night. But again that’s his run….. You could have something completely different.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

best bet is to get your CDL, then join a teamsters union and have them help you find work, then if you don't like the union after a year, quit and go work somewhere else.

I always heard JB. Hunt screws their drivers over, no offense SSHawk, just what I heard.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by perrco
you have it a tad wrong with the companies origianlly mentioned...Coca-Cola, Miller and Bud Distributors/wholesalers will hire CDL holders with less than a yr experience...what they usually tend to do is move people around within the company 1st then look for outside CDL holders....I have a few friends that work for Coca-Cola that drive/deliver and they were hired with a new CDL they just aquired....the Beer distributors don't really have any requirements either other than a clean driving record...as I used to work for a Bud distributor here and seen how A/B handles that end since I was in the delivery side myself..just not a driver
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Coca Cola screws their drivers over,I drove for them for 5 years.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Domsz06
best bet is to get your CDL, then join a teamsters union and have them help you find work, then if you don't like the union after a year, quit and go work somewhere else.

I always heard JB. Hunt screws their drivers over, no offense SSHawk, just what I heard.
im a teamster and glad i went that route. i would definately recommend it if thats an option for ya
Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Prime inc is a good place to get started, they have a good training program and you can make decent mine if you're willing to work hard.

Get into the oil field work if you really want to make some money
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

how much can i expect to pay for my cdl and how long will it take....

thanks everyone for the responses keep em comin
Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by caramaro
Coca Cola screws their drivers over,I drove for them for 5 years.
what happened with that just curious
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
you have it a tad wrong with the companies origianlly mentioned...Coca-Cola, Miller and Bud Distributors/wholesalers will hire CDL holders with less than a yr experience...what they usually tend to do is move people around within the company 1st then look for outside CDL holders....I have a few friends that work for Coca-Cola that drive/deliver and they were hired with a new CDL they just aquired....the Beer distributors don't really have any requirements either other than a clean driving record...as I used to work for a Bud distributor here and seen how A/B handles that end since I was in the delivery side myself..just not a driver
how did you like workin for bud?
Old 11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Apply at Halliburton if there is oneness you. They pay houy and pay you to get your cdl and pay for for cdl training and liscence. Base pay around 40k but because your paid hourly it's closer to 70k
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by baalic
Apply at Halliburton if there is oneness you. They pay houy and pay you to get your cdl and pay for for cdl training and liscence. Base pay around 40k but because your paid hourly it's closer to 70k
so just apply even if i have no license at all?? & no exp
Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

We had a driver who drive for coke, seems like it really depends on the route you got. for oil field you will need your hazmat certs.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Itsslow
how much can i expect to pay for my cdl and how long will it take....

thanks everyone for the responses keep em comin
i did my apprenticeship thru a cdl training program. it was free since i was doing it thru my union, but i think that one was around 3k and it was 3 months. some are as little as 3 weeks and some will go several months. if you go that route, research the school before u sign up. u dont want to go thru a cdl mill. some of those will barely teach u enough to pass the test and nothing more, so even if its cheaper, its a total waste. if you go to a good one with good instructors, u will learn a lot and have no regrets. most will help u find a job too. most will be over the road probably, but they may find local opportunities too
Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls6firebird
i did my apprenticeship thru a cdl training program. it was free since i was doing it thru my union, but i think that one was around 3k and it was 3 months. some are as little as 3 weeks and some will go several months. if you go that route, research the school before u sign up. u dont want to go thru a cdl mill. some of those will barely teach u enough to pass the test and nothing more, so even if its cheaper, its a total waste. if you go to a good one with good instructors, u will learn a lot and have no regrets. most will help u find a job too. most will be over the road probably, but they may find local opportunities too
damn didnt realize that cdl's were 3 grand.... id need to get something cheaper than that
Old 11-11-2010, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

damn didnt realize that cdl's were 3 grand.... id need to get something cheaper than that
cdl's are not 3 grand, it's the class.

and the reason the oilfield pays well is because you work 80-100 hrs a week, so gotta think what you want to do, work a lot to get more money, or what.....
Old 11-11-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how did you like workin for bud?
I liked it a lot...great benefits and mostly some good people as well..(everywhere has 1 or two ********) I'd go back if I could but since they don't rehire that kinda sucks...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Domsz06
cdl's are not 3 grand, it's the class.

and the reason the oilfield pays well is because you work 80-100 hrs a week, so gotta think what you want to do, work a lot to get more money, or what.....

but dont you have to have the class to get a CDL..

yea i knew that about the oil field not really my cup of tea too many hrs for me
Old 11-11-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

For Halliburton, although you may be on the clock for 80 hours you will work for 25 hours.... And they pay you for your cdl and all endorsements and usually only require a year of service if they pay for your cdl.. And yes with no experience you can get hired and trained... The job isn't as hard as some seem to think.

Quick Reply: thinkin of goin for my CDL (need a career change)