So I got terminated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in todays world most co's have a formal process in place under which they will fire a employee. most have something like a 3 step process which states that on the 3rd offence you can be fired for cause. but, why would a co offer you a severnce if they felt justifield terminating you for performance reasons? this just sounds like misinformation by your co in a effort to have you not file. show the offer to your case worker if there is a problem?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep your head up man.
The best thing you can do is stay positive and move forward. Think of this as an upgrade. Usually things like this lead to BETTER jobs and bigger pay.
Iv been laid off twice, and every time, i stayed in the game and worked hard to get a new job. Each time i ended up in a better spot. It may suck for a month or two but if your persistent and have drive then you will find a better job in no time.
Dont let it beat you...there ARE jobs out there.
Until then enjoy a bit of unemployment. Drink a beer while updating your res.
You mentioned you have not been jobless in a while. By updating your resume, you will be surprised as to how much you have learned and aquired new valuable skills.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I agree. To claim performance they need documentation. Where I work HR won't let anyone go unless there is a paper trail a mile long. The times this has been ignored by upper management, the person has ended up getting unemployment.

The severence thing is another kicker. You don't give severence to a poor performer unless you're contractually obligated.

There is either more to the story, or they're playing a semantics game in an attempt to get out of paying unemployment. With the paper work I'm thinking the latter.
ding ding ding. It's cheaper for them to buy you off now than you dragging UE on for months. I agree with other posters that most companies have 3 strike rule. You must either have done something to **** someone off, or it built up and they got fed up. It makes no sense just to fire people 3 write ups and termination are really easy things to do, and I guarantee you will not get UE.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

I really appreciate all the help and kind words. I finally got a letter in the mail saying I'm approved because they fired me for no reason basically. The funny thing is since i left the office has only been open 6 days due to this weather.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Man I feel for you bro. Both me and my dad were laid off at the same time with the same company he has been out of work for almost two years. I landed a shitty manual labor job to pay the bills for almost a year and a half then got on with a new company. Thank god I was two seconds from bankruptcy. The times are tuff bro I wish you good luck in your job search. By the way we are both vets as well he at least has retirement pay coming from the military.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Terminated employees receive severance all the time. Companies do it to keep the fired employee from suing. It just makes things easier and simpler.

to the OP .. sorry for your situation. File for UE, and let the process work. You should also be able to find work fairly quickly in your field. good luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear you got them to pay.. Hope you get a new job quick.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I'm a veteran and I'm already enrolled in 12 credit hours of college.
Look into grants. A lot of money out there for vets to go back to school.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Thanks hawk

Zero2six - I would probAbly look into grants but I'm getting the g.i.bill and it's probably a conflict of interest. I'll just keep hitting the books and while I'm looking for a job I dont have to pay for a baby sitter.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, I thought this was going to be a death by Termi thread. Sorry about hearing something worse. Hopefully you find a new job quick. Good luck