So I got terminated.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got terminated.

I was pretty pissed but I kept my cool and just got my stuff and left. They offered me 1 months severance pay with some paperwork they gave me. Does this mean I'm eligible for unemployment? I'm a veteran and I'm already enrolled in 12 credit hours of college. My job was pretty good about letting me work around it but I don't want to drop my classes now. All this is sudden, not here for pitty just any advice would be good as it's been forever since I hadn't had a job.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were you terminated for? You should be able to get unemployment $$
Old 01-21-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Honestly I worked for a privately owned tax firm. My boss couldn't tell me. All I know is my staff will miss me as I was considered the backbone. The company had it's own way of doing things so it's no surprise to me.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Since you are receiving severance pay, then most likely you're eligible for unemployment
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Sorry Bro

This time of year you should be able to find another Job tho
Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

If you were terminated and the company records your unemployment as a termination your chances of getting unemployment are slim to none.

Ask your boss if your unemployment can be recorded as a Lay off.
If you left on good terms there is a chance he will give it to you, and in which case you should be eligible for unemployment.

I have never filed for unemployment, so I don't know how it works from your (the past employee) end. But my company gets requests fairly often from state unemployment offices regarding past workers seeking unemployment benefits. The nature of our business requires us to hire and lay off large amounts of workers every few months. If the unemployment is due to lay off we "check the lay off box", fax the form back , the ex-worker gets whatever unemployment he is eligible for, and thats that. If the unemployment is due to termination, it gets a little messy, but generally if we have documentation regarding the termination the ex-worker will not get unemployment.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

The only issue you that you could run into is that the employer will fight the unemployment case. It is really sad but a lot of these companies would rather fight you about it. If you're willing to go those lengths go for it. As of late they're getting more strict about letting people receive unemployment. You might get lucky and get a good case worker. For the most part case workers aren't really willing to go the distance to help out because soo many people are filing, and a lot of offices are backed up with cases and appeals.

Good luck to you and hopefully you can get something out of all this.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GulfM3
If you were terminated and the company records your unemployment as a termination your chances of getting unemployment are slim to none.

Ask your boss if your unemployment can be recorded as a Lay off.
If you left on good terms there is a chance he will give it to you, and in which case you should be eligible for unemployment.

I have never filed for unemployment, so I don't know how it works from your (the past employee) end. But my company gets requests fairly often from state unemployment offices regarding past workers seeking unemployment benefits. The nature of our business requires us to hire and lay off large amounts of workers every few months. If the unemployment is due to lay off we "check the lay off box", fax the form back , the ex-worker gets whatever unemployment he is eligible for, and thats that. If the unemployment is due to termination, it gets a little messy, but generally if we have documentation regarding the termination the ex-worker will not get unemployment.
i hope this isn't the case but will see what happens, now that Ive let all this settle im just going to talk to the HR manager since she did tell me any questions i had would need to go thru her. Will see what happpens.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

My experience in not recent but my wife went through a similar situation a few years ago. If the rules are the same the you actually have three issues:

Overall eligibility will depend on the circumstances of your termination.

If eligible, then the severance pay delays the start of unemployment benefits, in your case it would be one month.

Being a student can void unemployment benefits. My wife argued that she had been a full time student the entire time she had been employed and was eventually granted her benefits

Like I said this is not recent info but it's what we encountered. Good luck.

Kerry P
Old 01-21-2011, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I was pretty pissed but I kept my cool and just got my stuff and left. They offered me 1 months severance pay with some paperwork they gave me. Does this mean I'm eligible for unemployment? I'm a veteran and I'm already enrolled in 12 credit hours of college. My job was pretty good about letting me work around it but I don't want to drop my classes now. All this is sudden, not here for pitty just any advice would be good as it's been forever since I hadn't had a job.
http://www.wrongfulterminationlaws.c...loss/fired.htm

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Being terminated for being subordinate or laid off for not much work coming in. We layoff in the construction industry so usually employees would pull unemployment. They paid for it. If you were "terminated" they CAN dispute it, not saying they will. Just hurry up and file for it. GL
Old 01-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Launching!

as long as you were laid off you are eligible for unemployment. its gonna take a little longer because i think it will kick in after your severance runs out. but you need to to go ahead and do it now because it takes up to 3 weeks under normal circumstances.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kennyxg
as long as you were laid off you are eligible for unemployment. its gonna take a little longer because i think it will kick in after your severance runs out. but you need to to go ahead and do it now because it takes up to 3 weeks under normal circumstances.
I wasnt laid off, i looked at the paper they gave me on letterhead. It says i was terminated for performance issues, which I dont agree with but stuff happens. They are offering me severance for 1 month, i have 7 days to respond, the documents with it basically say I cant take them to court, and basically give up all my rights to say anything about the company.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
I wasnt laid off, i looked at the paper they gave me on letterhead. It says i was terminated for performance issues, which I dont agree with but stuff happens. They are offering me severance for 1 month, i have 7 days to respond, the documents with it basically say I cant take them to court, and basically give up all my rights to say anything about the company.
No prior warnings or write-ups? If not go file for un-employment.

I would not sign anything...just my 2-cents
Old 01-21-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SHELBY08

I agree. To claim performance they need documentation. Where I work HR won't let anyone go unless there is a paper trail a mile long. The times this has been ignored by upper management, the person has ended up getting unemployment.

The severence thing is another kicker. You don't give severence to a poor performer unless you're contractually obligated.

There is either more to the story, or they're playing a semantics game in an attempt to get out of paying unemployment. With the paper work I'm thinking the latter.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

If you got terminated they wouldn't give you a severance package , most likely they laid you off
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I agree. To claim performance they need documentation. Where I work HR won't let anyone go unless there is a paper trail a mile long. The times this has been ignored by upper management, the person has ended up getting unemployment.

The severence thing is another kicker. You don't give severence to a poor performer unless you're contractually obligated.

There is either more to the story, or they're playing a semantics game in an attempt to get out of paying unemployment. With the paper work I'm thinking the latter.

I agree with both of these guys. You can file for unemployment, and the worst thing that can happen is the employer will deny it. However, if they deny it, then you can appeal it. If you decide to appeal it, then a conference will be set up with you, your employer, and a judge. (Believe me, it's really easy, I have had to be on a bunch of these calls with people that I've had to terminate. They last maybe 15 minutes). The judge will hear both sides of the story and will make his decision based on the facts presented. IF your story is 100% true, and they just let you go without any warnings...Then I would say you have a hell of a shot.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Launching!

As long as you didn't quit....you should get unemployment.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Does not apply in Texas...

I tried this once before.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Does not apply in Texas...

I tried this once before.