ls2 gto or shelby gt 500

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Holy **** it is???!!!! I know the GT500 is more than GTO used or new, purchase price aside, its fairly easy and inexpensive to make great power with GT500. You can make a 100 RWHP for peanuts with a GT500, it would cost thousands to do that with goat (H/C/I). Also consider most folks are going to finance a vehicle, so it's not like he will have 15-20K in cash for go fast parts if he goes the goat route.
True but from what I've seen at the track the 100rwhp still runs low 12s/high 11s.

I like the GT500 it's a cool car. But for the cost of them new I just don't see it. I'd get a CTSV and probably **** all over it and look better and have better luxury to boot. I know the thread isn't about that car though.

Depends on what you want. The GTO is very hard to beat for a well built comfortable cruiser with good power. Put a stroker in the GTO and it gets real fun very quick.

What's the average bolt on GT500 run at the track? Got me curious.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6.0monsta
I'd get a CTSV and probably **** all over it and look better and have better luxury to boot. I know the thread isn't about that car though.
CTS-V FTW! haha

but with the V, you run into a lot of different issues that can be a huge PITA. i.e.; stock power can blow the rear diff. the engine bay is cramped. and you pay a Caddy Tax on everything.

this is for the V1 (2004-2007), but the V2 (2009+) is a whole different animal.

IMO : V2 > GT500 > V1 > GTO
Old 01-26-2011, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 6.0monsta
True but from what I've seen at the track the 100rwhp still runs low 12s/high 11s.

I like the GT500 it's a cool car. But for the cost of them new I just don't see it. I'd get a CTSV and probably **** all over it and look better and have better luxury to boot. I know the thread isn't about that car though.

Depends on what you want. The GTO is very hard to beat for a well built comfortable cruiser with good power. Put a stroker in the GTO and it gets real fun very quick.

What's the average bolt on GT500 run at the track? Got me curious.
You are right, it boils down to what you want. At the end of the day the op needs to buy the car that makes him happy, not the rest of us on LS1tech Nothing wrong with the goat either...he seems to have a budget for either, and I would probably consider several other cars for that kind of money as well...

FWIW...I have seen a 2010 go 12.03s (2.0x 60), stock car on stock rubber.. same car went 11.30-11.40s, stock on slicks...There are full bolt-on/suspension, whipple/KB cars easily in the low 10s, upper 9s...