Aggressive Dog Breeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aggressive Dog Breeds

I am moving back to Houston, Texas in April and I am going to rent my first year there. I am hearing about some "Aggressive Dog Breed Restrictions" due to home owners associations and insurance. I am bringing back a Doberman Pincher. Anyone know if he will be considered on "the list" in Texas. Thanks
Old 03-12-2011, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes he will be, your best bet is to find an individual who has a house for rent if you want to keep him
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Mine will be up for rent soon
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Move simplace without restrictions!!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

We will be looking for a house around the League City area. We will just have to find a place that will accept him. It's crazy how they just broadly label all these dogs.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea alot of dogs get a bad rap for no reason. Especially APBT's.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

APBT's do have a bad rap, but they ARE used for fighting, cant deny that... and once they are "turned on" you cant reverse that ****...

i love the staffordshires, american bully's and other large "aggressive" breeds, but there is no denying that ALOT of people use them for the wrong thing....

so in essence there is a GOOD reason they get a bad rap.... just sayin
Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
APBT's do have a bad rap, but they ARE used for fighting, cant deny that... and once they are "turned on" you cant reverse that ****...

i love the staffordshires, american bully's and other large "aggressive" breeds, but there is no denying that ALOT of people use them for the wrong thing....

so in essence there is a GOOD reason they get a bad rap.... just sayin
Yes, you can reverse "that ****". Vast majority of the dogs used to fight don't want to fight, they are forced/tortured to. Therefore it is extremely easy for someone trained to reverse it in just a few hour long sessions with the dog and owner. Most can "tame" a dog that people say nobody can get close to in about fifteen minutes.

The reason that ANY of the breeds get a bad rep is completely wrong, anyone that has even a small amount of knowledge on the subject should understand that. Only someone ignorant on the subject would think there was good reason.

The only thing correct in your post is that pits are used for fighting, like many other breeds.
If you love them, educate yourself.

Just sayin'.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I looked into this. I have 2 pits and am looking into buying a house at the end of this year.

There is no "aggresive dog list" in Texas. Your dog has to be deemed aggresive by authorities according to guidelines. This happens after it bites someone.

Not sure about the homeowners associations or insurance though. Im sure there are some hippie HOA's out there that banned pits. Probably not Dobermans though.

I don't think you have to tell your homeowner's insurance about your dog. But if you don't and it bites someone, you're most likely fucked.

I know Madisonville banned pits. And Garland has some restrictions.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Homeowner's insurance varies. A lot of them specifically exclude Pits, Rotts, Dobermans, Chows, and a few others. The fact that Dobermans are on the "usual suspects" list is absurd. They are one of the most intelligent and loyal breeds there is and they make fantastic family pets.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Launching!

Chows are awesome dogs, best dog I ever had. If people would just keep their dogs in a fenced area, or on a leash half of attacks on human's would not happen. That goes with any breed.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JUISSD
Homeowner's insurance varies. A lot of them specifically exclude Pits, Rotts, Dobermans, Chows, and a few others. The fact that Dobermans are on the "usual suspects" list is absurd. They are one of the most intelligent and loyal breeds there is and they make fantastic family pets.
The fact that ANY breed is on that list Is ABSURD. Blame the deed, not the breed. Irresponsible ownership spreads across many different breeds.
I promise almost every single pit Incident is reported, shockingly (insert sarcasm), they aren't high up on the "annual attack list".

I will walk up and pet a random pit without fear quicker than ANY other breed, yes Including and especially 10# lap dogs.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
Yes, you can reverse "that ****". Vast majority of the dogs used to fight don't want to fight, they are forced/tortured to. Therefore it is extremely easy for someone trained to reverse it in just a few hour long sessions with the dog and owner. Most can "tame" a dog that people say nobody can get close to in about fifteen minutes.

The reason that ANY of the breeds get a bad rep is completely wrong, anyone that has even a small amount of knowledge on the subject should understand that. Only someone ignorant on the subject would think there was good reason.

The only thing correct in your post is that pits are used for fighting, like many other breeds.
If you love them, educate yourself.

Just sayin'.
LOL your BS is essentially just me getting under your skin and has nothing to do with what i said. move along

Last edited by AGRV8D; 03-13-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
LOL your BS is essentially just me getting under your skin and has nothing to do with what i said. move along
PLEASE try to prove me wrong. If you or anyone else watching have even the slightest chance to decide that they should for now on blame the deed and not the breed, when we are done that will be the case.

You are no different than the Ignorant reporters that make outlandish, incorrect claims giving many breeds a horrible and inaccurate uneducated rap all over the world.

You getting under my skin? I did not insult you or your post at all in my reply, I touched all of your incorrect comments with correct facts about the breed. I own two pits and my mother is a vet of 20 years, I deal with ignorant people on this subject on a regular basis.. Whatever makes you think you or your misinformed comments are any different than anyone else is beyond me. Remember, you retaliated with calling my post bull **** and telling me to move along, after I responded with facts to your first post full of misinformed incorrect info and opinions. You sure I didn't get under your skin?
Old 03-13-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

PLEASE try to prove me wrong. If you or anyone else watching have even the slightest chance to decide that they should for now on blame the deed and not the breed, when we are done that will be the case.
never once did i deny it was the people training the dogs that were bad.... i was simply stating that they have a bad rap for good reason.... people are stupid and train an already aggressive breed to be fighters.... labs, for instance, are also an aggressive breed, but they arent trained to fight on the scale the the bullys are used for, and they dont have a bad rap as such.....

You are no different than the Ignorant reporters that make outlandish, incorrect claims giving many breeds a horrible and inaccurate uneducated rap all over the world.
ummm....

You getting under my skin? I did not insult you or your post at all in my reply, I touched all of your incorrect comments with correct facts about the breed. I own two pits and my mother is a vet of 20 years, I deal with ignorant people on this subject on a regular basis.. Whatever makes you think you or your misinformed comments are any different than anyone else is beyond me. Remember, you retaliated with calling my post bull **** and telling me to move along, after I responded with facts to your first post full of misinformed incorrect info and opinions. You sure I didn't get under your skin?
nope, im just bored.... i love the staffodshires as i stated before, however, i have owned a couple large breed dogs in the past (Boerboel, American bull), and i can tell you for certainty that owning certain types of dogs (not necessarily a dobie) and trying to live in a small cookie cutter neighborhood just simply dont mix....

I agree with the fact that any list "banning" a dog breed is a farce, but in some instances, whereby an owner cant handle said breed and got it for, lets say the "coolness" factor, and lives in a densely populated area where kids could* get hurt, some regulation should be laid out. Sometimes owning a pet like this is a big liability... Rules are only put into place by stupid people that do stupid ****. Street racing is another example of this same type of Legislature, but thats an entirely different topic...

Last edited by AGRV8D; 03-13-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

PM sent
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Caribe
We will be looking for a house around the League City area. We will just have to find a place that will accept him. It's crazy how they just broadly label all these dogs.
I had a Doberman bite me on the *** onetime. But yeah there are good dogs and bad dogs in every breed.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FOG52
I had a Doberman bite me on the *** onetime. But yeah there are good dogs and bad dogs in every breed.
True. The difference is, if you have an aggressive dachshund, you can get away from it and close the gate. If you have an aggressive doberman, you have to beat it with your own arm (that he just tore off) to get away from it.

All kidding aside, these rules are ridiculous. I've met plenty of good dogs and bad dogs on "the list", and it's 100% about how the owner raised and disciplined the dog. People also confuse "protective" with "aggressive". If you're wandering around my house and get near the fence, I would hope my dog would bark. The question is, is the dog barking, "GET AWAY FROM MY MASTER'S STUFF!" or "GET OVER HERE AND RUB MY BELLY!"? Either way, it's likely to scare off a potential burglar.

Whatever happened to having a BEWARE OF DOG sign and calling it a day?

-Mike
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Chows are awesome dogs, best dog I ever had. If people would just keep their dogs in a fenced area, or on a leash half of attacks on human's would not happen. That goes with any breed.
I totally agree!! Chows are the only dog that I have ever owned. I had one for 17 years, before I had to put him down. The most hurtful thing I ever had to do.

We just recently bought our daughter a creme chow. He's such a fur ball!!

Old 03-13-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I own two pits and my mother is a vet of 20 years, I deal with ignorant people on this subject on a regular basis..
oh yeah? my moms a doctor, thus i know everything there is to know about medicine!!!

also, its very difficult to "re-program" a dog once its been taught to do something. takes a good deal of positive reinforcement and conditioning. and even then you can never be certain. ive got a dog that was treated rather badly before i found her. she still goes apeshit when she sees strangers, and we've been working with her for 2 years now.

Quick Reply: Aggressive Dog Breeds