Coming to Houston in a few days!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011 | 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

Default Coming to Houston in a few days!

I'm making the drive from Lincoln, NE to Houston, TX about 900 miles on march 16th for TX2K11. While i'm in Houston i want to make the most of it and i'm looking for some things to do.

Where are some great places to eat? also great places for BBQ?

What are some fun attractions or places to go see while i'm down there?

Thought about making a trip to Galveston to go check out the ocean since we'll be pretty close. Is there any other places near-by to go to that would be better than Galveston?

Also, is it pretty nice temperature wise down there? This nebraska weather sucks lol
Old 03-12-2011 | 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

For bbq i say pappas or central tx bbq. Just avoid the pappas off of i45 and monroe that one sucks. As for burgers i go to spot burger in galveston. However if you want to see nice beaches skip galveston and check out padre island. Now for attractions you have 3 choices. The mens club off richmond , the ritz off of i45 and edgebrook and heartbreakers in galveston. Right now it isnt too bad far as temperature goes
Old 03-13-2011 | 12:02 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
For bbq i say pappas or central tx bbq. Just avoid the pappas off of i45 and monroe that one sucks. As for burgers i go to spot burger in galveston. However if you want to see nice beaches skip galveston and check out padre island. Now for attractions you have 3 choices. The mens club off richmond , the ritz off of i45 and edgebrook and heartbreakers in galveston. Right now it isnt too bad far as temperature goes
When you say Padre Island, is that the same as South Padre Island? If so, thats like 6 hours away haha
Old 03-13-2011 | 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Yea. Just a suggestion is all it is.
Old 03-13-2011 | 12:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
Yea. Just a suggestion is all it is.
Is Galveston not that great? I heard its a shithole, but i just want to go to a beach thats close.
Old 03-13-2011 | 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01SOMZ28
Is Galveston not that great? I heard its a shithole, but i just want to go to a beach thats close.
Pretty much sums it up. If anything hop the ferry and go to crystal beach. Went there about 6 months ago and it wasnt too bad.
Old 03-14-2011 | 09:01 AM
Teching In

BBQ competition at the rodeo but i think it already happened I don't really keep up with it. Rudy's is okay but pricey for BBQ or if your willing to ride to the hood Burns BBQ meat falls off the bones but so does the neighborhood.
Old 03-14-2011 | 11:32 AM
On The Tree

might want to try out Kemah boardwalk
Old 03-14-2011 | 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

get some crawfish at "ragen cajun"

weather is great (rainy today though) I'm in shorts and t-shirt pretty much year round.
Old 03-14-2011 | 03:31 PM
joc
Teching In

Originally Posted by TehGODofGreen
BBQ competition at the rodeo but i think it already happened I don't really keep up with it. Rudy's is okay but pricey for BBQ or if your willing to ride to the hood Burns BBQ meat falls off the bones but so does the neighborhood.
Good ol burns in acre homes! but yeah, if ur not familiar with the area you might wanna lock your doors. lol
Old 03-14-2011 | 03:40 PM
joc
Teching In

I'm making the drive from Lincoln, NE to Houston, TX about 900 miles on march 16th for TX2K11. While i'm in Houston i want to make the most of it and i'm looking for some things to do.

Where are some great places to eat? also great places for BBQ?

What are some fun attractions or places to go see while i'm down there?

Thought about making a trip to Galveston to go check out the ocean since we'll be pretty close. Is there any other places near-by to go to that would be better than Galveston?

Also, is it pretty nice temperature wise down there? This nebraska weather sucks lol
pappas for bbq. and as far as attractions, the houston rodeo is going on rite now. that should be afun way to spend the day!
Old 03-14-2011 | 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wild1100
might want to try out Kemah boardwalk
After a quick google search, i'll probably check that out! Looks fun.
Old 03-14-2011 | 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TehGODofGreen
I was looking on the internet for great bbq in Houston and i keep seeing Rudys, is it pretty good or just "ok"?
Old 03-14-2011 | 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

all i know is we are going to treasures aka strip club down there lol, rudys was on one of those tv shows as one of the top ten places for bbq, and as for the weather in texas you never know, last year it was fine, then rained like hell, then 90 mile an hour winds, then perfect. this years forcast is looking good. so far
Old 03-15-2011 | 02:54 AM
Teching In

Rudys
to me its just ok maybe it varies from location to location the one i go to is off 290@ fairbanks rd. the other one of 45 in the spring ( woodlands i think )

The good: breakfast tacos, the both types of sausage, chopped beef sandwhich

The bad: "lean" reduce fat brisket it is dry and kind of chewy, the ribs are ok because they are expensive 1 pound ( 4 ribs ) was like 10-11$ -> I would take it over luthers tho as far as taste and quality the sauces are good original or "sissy sauce" I picked up food for me and a few co-workers brought it back. one of the guys drank the sauce as he ate the chopped beef sandwich in stead of pouring it on to the sandwich said it was more effective that way.
Old 03-15-2011 | 06:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah Burns Bbq off North Shepherd pretty much destroys any chain bbq place, which is what pappas and rudys are. Go there, but during the day. Safer that way. As a matter of fact I think they only serve lunch these days anyways. Best ribs ever.

If u want beach go over the ferry to crystal beach, if u have time. Its spring break, and if it warms up a touch it will be party central out there. Ferry wait can get lengthy though.
Old 03-15-2011 | 11:26 AM
Launching!

Houston BBQ co off of Eldridge is awesome- eating rudys now and it's pretty good too.

Definitely need to have crawfish while your down- like nothing you can get in Lincoln

Galveston is okay if your looking for 'a beach' no white sand and clear water.... But sand and water nonetheless
Old 03-15-2011 | 12:44 PM
Teching In

After a quick google search, i'll probably check that out! Looks fun.
Be perpared to sit in traffic on 146 with a bunch of A holes for a little bit, then parkings a B***h. and once your there for about an hour you've already seen everything twice lol. But other then that its something different i guess and can be kinda fun at times.
Old 03-16-2011 | 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NastySSnTexas
Be perpared to sit in traffic on 146 with a bunch of A holes for a little bit, then parkings a B***h. and once your there for about an hour you've already seen everything twice lol. But other then that its something different i guess and can be kinda fun at times.
I'm sure it'll be fun for someone like me who's coming from Nebraska where there is nothing like that lol
Old 03-16-2011 | 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TxAgWS6
Yeah Burns Bbq off North Shepherd pretty much destroys any chain bbq place, which is what pappas and rudys are. Go there, but during the day. Safer that way. As a matter of fact I think they only serve lunch these days anyways. Best ribs ever.

If u want beach go over the ferry to crystal beach, if u have time. Its spring break, and if it warms up a touch it will be party central out there. Ferry wait can get lengthy though.
I'll be pack'n my glock so i might check out Burns BBQ haha.