Father's right to Abortion.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Father's right to Abortion.

My fellow Texas Members,
I know this is nothing related to cars. But im sure most of us here are fathers. Or are going to be fathers soon. I'm Writing a Term paper for my Comp 2 class about "Fathers rights to abortion". I was wondering if any of you can give me opinions about this matter. And maybe links to actual texas websites speaking about fathers rights about abortion. There is alot of information online about this stuff. But I need to use more than one resource. Another question would be where could I go and find a book on texas laws that consern abortion? (Would a public libary have state law books?) < I know dum question. but I hardly ever use libaries for my research papers.
And our teacher is trying to force use to use other resources besides the net.

If mod's you find this to be a worthless thread.
You can delete it.

i'm just trying to get some opinions from actual fathers or other males.
In the texas region.
Thank you,
Ws6kid.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
11Second Club

What's the thesis of your paper? Are you arguing that fathers should have the right to abortion against the mother's will? Should fathers have the right to prevent a mother from getting an abortion? The latter seems like a much more defensible stance.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gauge
What's the thesis of your paper? Are you arguing that fathers should have the right to abortion against the mother's will? Should fathers have the right to prevent a mother from getting an abortion? The latter seems like a much more defensible stance.
That the father should have a say or some rights to a abortion of his child.
as of right now, Texas does not ask for the consent of the father to perform a abortion.
Im reading alot of cases where the fathers want to keep the child and even over to remove the fetus or embryo from the female who doesn't want the child. and insert the fetus in another host (another female)
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
...remove the fetus or embryo from the female who doesn't want the child. and insert the fetus in another host (another female)
Wow! Is that even possible?!? I'd think the secondary host's body would say, "WTF is this?!?!?!"
Old 04-04-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FireHawk178
Wow! Is that even possible?!? I'd think the secondary host's body would say, "WTF is this?!?!?!"
The host would be paid for all medical expenses and I think they even get paid for the pregnancy.
There are organizations dedicated to this operation
trying to connect host's and females who want to have a abortion.

Anyways any one have opinions? about this subject
Old 04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Damn...this is a touchy subject. Either position you take will receive opposition from the other side, but I commend you for writing about a topic that is commonly talked/disagreed upon in politics today.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
11Second Club

Abortion is murder. That is my stance.

Regardless of what your beliefs are, the argument is basically whether or not to treat a fetus as a child. According to the debate, abortion might be murder. Whether pro-lifers are right or wrong, not aborting children is never murder.

This is a topic that will never reach a good resolution. Sex outside of marriage is wrong, therefore children outside of marriage is wrong, and therefore this situation was never meant to be. It's screwed up from the start, and there is no good way to make it right.

Looking at it from a strictly legal perspective, the father has no rights. We have to assume that abortion is legal in this scenario, and given that, the fetus is legally not a life. It's part of the mother's body... just some foreign tissue. The father has absolutely no legal right to it at all. It would be like claiming that you legally own a woman's foot, and you want it back. It's never going to fly. The only way fathers would ever have legal rights is if the fetus was legally declared to be a life (which the mother could not own), but at that point abortion wouldn't remain legal.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

father of two with a third on the way

Frankly, I would've avoided this topic entirely unless you didnt have a choice

the issue with father's rights is how to guarantee the safety of the unborn fetus between the time the mother decides she doesnt want it to the time the court orders her to go under the knife to remove it safely. With the condition of the court system today, the child would be halfway through kindergarten before a decision would finally be handed down.
You'd essentially have to create a completely separate section of the court system that handled nothing but pregnancy/abortion/father's rights and could efficiently hand down a verdict within days of a positive pregnancy test. You'd have to have separate holding facilities to monitor the mother, hospitals/clinics that could facilitate the transfer on a few hour's notice, surrogates on stand-by, etc.
Once you've spent $billions and have all that established, whats keeping the drunken sorority princess from simply not telling her sperm-donor she saw a + sign on the stick? If you force abortion clinics to notify the father, you'd have to perform a DNA test on the fetus to keep Princess from bringing her gay science lab partner in and claiming he approves of the abortion... from what I hear, they're pretty expensive.

That said, I'm all for Father's rights... but who's going to enforce 'em? ...and at what cost?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Sex outside of marriage is wrong...
lol
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

I have lived this scenario, there are so many variables that come in to play. The law only assumes you are the father if you are married to said woman, that is pretty much the only way anyting will stand up in court. Out of wedlock pregnancies are tricky because there is proof of nothing. The legal system assumes anyone can be the father until proven by a court of law and gives the women full control of the pregnancy. Paternaty can not be established until at least 10-13 weeks while the baby is being carried and 3 years ago that procedure was considered dangerous to the child and the mother because the embrionic sac has to punctered to obtain DNA. And that test has to be consensual, if the woman is determined to have the abortion she can do it no matter what you say or do.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Fathers should have a say in abortion. Say the father wants an abortion and the mother does not. The mother should have the option to either get the abortion and assume all responsibilities for the child. Same goes vice versa if the mother wants the abortion and the father does not. That gets a little more complicated tho.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

It all dates back to Rowe vs. Wade. At the end of the day its the womans body, shes the one that has to deal with it for 9 months. The current law only cares about who is paying for the child.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tripps
Damn...this is a touchy subject. Either position you take will receive opposition from the other side, but I commend you for writing about a topic that is commonly talked/disagreed upon in politics today.
I agree but its college remember this is a 120+ student class.
Every one is writing about modern politic issues.
Haven't been able to get my teachers attention with my essays so my grades aren't so good.
I picked this topic.
Because i have a friend that had a experience like this. and it caught my attention. and when i discussed this with my professor and seemed very interested. hell he even remembers my name now!

Regardless of what your beliefs are, the argument is basically whether or not to treat a fetus as a child. According to the debate, abortion might be murder. Whether pro-lifers are right or wrong, not aborting children is never murder.

This is a topic that will never reach a good resolution. Sex outside of marriage is wrong, therefore children outside of marriage is wrong, and therefore this situation was never meant to be. It's screwed up from the start, and there is no good way to make it right.

Looking at it from a strictly legal perspective, the father has no rights. We have to assume that abortion is legal in this scenario, and given that, the fetus is legally not a life. It's part of the mother's body... just some foreign tissue. The father has absolutely no legal right to it at all. It would be like claiming that you legally own a woman's foot, and you want it back. It's never going to fly. The only way fathers would ever have legal rights is if the fetus was legally declared to be a life (which the mother could not own), but at that point abortion wouldn't remain legal.
you bring up a BIG point....
but so then why when the child is born
the father is forced to give child support of the mother files for help?
so the father has responsibility of the child only after its born?
or should the father has a say or some short or right even when the child is still inside the female?

Originally Posted by VinR1
father of two with a third on the way

Frankly, I would've avoided this topic entirely unless you didnt have a choice

the issue with father's rights is how to guarantee the safety of the unborn fetus between the time the mother decides she doesnt want it to the time the court orders her to go under the knife to remove it safely. With the condition of the court system today, the child would be halfway through kindergarten before a decision would finally be handed down.
You'd essentially have to create a completely separate section of the court system that handled nothing but pregnancy/abortion/father's rights and could efficiently hand down a verdict within days of a positive pregnancy test. You'd have to have separate holding facilities to monitor the mother, hospitals/clinics that could facilitate the transfer on a few hour's notice, surrogates on stand-by, etc.
Once you've spent $billions and have all that established, whats keeping the drunken sorority princess from simply not telling her sperm-donor she saw a + sign on the stick? If you force abortion clinics to notify the father, you'd have to perform a DNA test on the fetus to keep Princess from bringing her gay science lab partner in and claiming he approves of the abortion... from what I hear, they're pretty expensive.

That said, I'm all for Father's rights... but who's going to enforce 'em? ...and at what cost?

Good point thank you.

Originally Posted by gtorep
It all dates back to Rowe vs. Wade. At the end of the day its the womans body, shes the one that has to deal with it for 9 months. The current law only cares about who is paying for the child.
Ok this is really good.
An actual case.
This would work well in my essay thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
lol
I'm a Christian... that is my viewpoint.

you bring up a BIG point....
but so then why when the child is born
the father is forced to give child support of the mother files for help?
so the father has responsibility of the child only after its born?
or should the father has a say or some short or right even when the child is still inside the female?
I think that the issue of fathers paying child support but not having rights when it comes to abortion is just the simple fact that a born child is recognized as a life while an unborn child is recognized as nothing more than a tissue growing in the mother. Legally, the child does not exist until birth at which point the father can have rights (custody) and responsibilities (child support).
Old 04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm a Christian... that is my viewpoint.

I think that the issue of fathers paying child support but not having rights when it comes to abortion is just the simple fact that a born child is recognized as a life while an unborn child is recognized as nothing more than a tissue growing in the mother. Legally, the child does not exist until birth at which point the father can have rights (custody) and responsibilities (child support).
Has absolutely nothing to do with the subject.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by 5w20
Has absolutely nothing to do with the subject.
You're right. It has everything to do with my opinion, which is what I'm offering here.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Launching!

uh. the father should only be allowed to influence the womans desicion. this is all. i still do feel like abortion is murder though...but im not to convinced on the plan b pill (morning after) and ive used it a couple times. not proud of it but i have. and my girl has had 3 miscarraiages and i just feel like some woman are throwing away a beautiful thing when some women cant even have one
Old 04-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Launching!

As a father I think I should have abortion rights on a child until they turn 18.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:02 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

You're right. It has everything to do with my opinion, which is what I'm offering here.
It's also a quick way to get this thread locked, so lets keep religion out of this if we want to continue this discussion.

With that said, whos to say this doesn't happen with married couples? Obviously it happens way more often with unmarried couples, but lets say it happens to a married couple and they couldn't agree on whether or not to keep it.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm just trying to get some opinions from actual fathers or other males.
In the texas region.
Thank you,
Ws6kid.
I remember doing this assignment in comp II. I had to write 10 pages on Ernest Hemmingway. We had to do multiple sources. But that was in '99, before they had all the plagiarizing databases. Back then, I got all my info off the net, and made up the rest of the sources...lol.

Imo, the father has a moral right. But as far a legally, I don't see how there would be a way to enforce a father's right. Honestly, I think you should pick a noun, rather than an opinion. Just to make it easier on you.

He's not looking for a resolution. He wants to complete an assignment. I think you hurt your cause with that Crusader bullshit. I was taught to lead by example. Not brow beat my stance. I do agree with most of what you posted though.

Gotta say though, your idea of marriage dates back to the Victorian Era in England. Before then, marriage was a method of survival. Now it's a joke, regulated by the government.

Quick Reply: Father's right to Abortion.