My thoughts on performance shops

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 03:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a sponsor shop on this site build and install a LSX 454, plus convert an A4 to a M6 tranny setup back in 2007.

It's nearly 4 years later and it cranks first time, everytime and doesn't burn a drop of oil. I asked for a total price, never questioned what they asked for the package, thought about it and agreed to the deal. I told them what my goals were and they met them.

I think they were very professional. The car was actually featured in Car Craft Magazine afterward.

Note: I have wrenched on cars for 30+ years, know plenty about them, used to own a shop of my own out of state. In this case, I could afford to allow others to do the work on the car and I remained focused on my career. Everyone has their reasons.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, 50% of what retail stores sell some of their items for. I've been to autozone when the commercial manager was there and he's given me the commercial price for things before and I know on rotors and pads I paid half of what I would have paid if i just came in the next day and got the same things.

Anyways, I'm not against capitalism. And shops still make a profit even if they sold you the parts at their cost. If I goto a shop it's not to buy parts. It's to get parts put on or fixed. That's what their business is about, not reselling parts. Raise shop rates, etc if profits are hurting.

It sounds like i'm really emotionally involved here and hating on shops but really it's not a big deal to me. I hardly ever have gone to any and the few i have didn't really overcharge me or anything. I just meant to give an example of one thing customers see on a bill and get really upset about because (sometimes) they see a price for an item and know for a fact they can goto autozone or whatever and get the same thing cheaper themselves. They just dont have the equipment to install it, or maybe the time.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by safemode
well, 50% of what retail stores sell some of their items for. I've been to autozone when the commercial manager was there and he's given me the commercial price for things before and I know on rotors and pads I paid half of what I would have paid if i just came in the next day and got the same things.

Anyways, I'm not against capitalism. And shops still make a profit even if they sold you the parts at their cost. If I goto a shop it's not to buy parts. It's to get parts put on or fixed. That's what their business is about, not reselling parts. Raise shop rates, etc if profits are hurting.

It sounds like i'm really emotionally involved here and hating on shops but really it's not a big deal to me. I hardly ever have gone to any and the few i have didn't really overcharge me or anything. I just meant to give an example of one thing customers see on a bill and get really upset about because (sometimes) they see a price for an item and know for a fact they can goto autozone or whatever and get the same thing cheaper themselves. They just dont have the equipment to install it, or maybe the time.
Still clueless. Shops should make profit on everything they do, including parts sales and installation labor. Why would any business do something for free? That isn't how you stay in business. If your employer didn't make any profit doing what they do, you'd be out of a job. Your 50% mark-up statements are ignorant too. In the entire automotive industry, you'd be lucky to make 5-10% profit after all the shipping and credit card fees are considered.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on performance shops