Silverado HD destroying the SD and Ram HD

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
How many miles do you have on it? And its a dmax right?
I have 2k on it now. I have mainly used it on the highway, I bought it as a purpose truck to pull the car trailers so I don't drive it that much. Last time I checked no tuners were available for it and really don't want to void my warranty on this thing.

Tony, I was told once I get it broken in, it would get better mileage. Maybe it is the way I drive, I like to drive 65-70 and I feel with the 4.10's out back that might be part of the problem. Oh well if there is a way I could improve the mileage, somebody please lmk how.

Last edited by ProStreet_632; 04-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Part of the problem is you only have 2k and the other is the 4.10 gears. Check out dieselplace.com for any info you could possibly want. Last I checked Efi doesn't support the lml yet. There are quite a few people knocking down 20ish all stock but they've got a few more miles on their truck. Regardless of all the propaganda spewed by the manufacturers the diesel mags all put the Dmax ahead of the competition in towing, acceleration and mileage in all tests. The Ford gets better marks for interior and exterior styling and the dodge just gets bitched about lol.

If gm would get their head out of their *** and make a real sized cab they would have the perfect truck. For everyones information for 2011 the suspension on the Dmax has been totally redesigned, they've got comparable capacity to the other guys and is much stronger than the older stuff. Unfortunately they still have wimpy *** tie rods so if you want to play hard an 80 dollar set of tie rod sleeves will make it bulletproof.

I imagine it will be some time before Efi comes out with support for the new pcm as it is different than the lbz and lmm pcm but they changed piston manufacturers for the lml so the piston cracking issue with the big tunes shouldnt be a problem anymore we will just back to slowly melting the bowl edges again

A couple of the dirt contractors I work with have the lml trucks I'll have to ask them what they're getting since I know they beat the crap out of their trucks.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they did redesign a lot on the suspension on the 2011 dmax. it love the dmax and would prefer to get a 05-07 just to avoid all the emission bs mainly but if i had money i would def get the 2011... as for the videos i do think some of them could have been "rigged" but some of them werent. idk if any of yall saw but the ford stopped shorter in the "cold" braking test than the chevy, they didnt really give a solid camera angle but i was able to catch it. also the chevy had michelin ltx m/s2 tires on it and the ford and dodges both had general grabber hts (shitty) tires on them. in some of those test, that could make a diff, but not that much. just throwing that out there.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take some wimpy *** tie rods over ball joints any day, **** I've even test drove an 08 that needed ball joints. Are they like that on silverados?

And the cabin space in a chevy isnt THAT bad, its not as good as a Ford but it's a hell of a lot better than a previous gen dodge. I'm 6'4 and your not getting my *** back there. My knees touch pretty good in a chevy but it doesn't bother me at all. My knees don't touch in the back of mine though.

The new dodges have great rear seat space and the interior is just as good as the others with all black and leather. Can't stand their shitty *** cloth and all the two tone bullshit, though. The new Fords have beautiful black interior but then a lot have that stupid *** green inlay that looks like it was cut out of a couch in the 70's, I don't understand why it's so hard to make an all black interior.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I actually like the Duramax better than the rest.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
I'll take some wimpy *** tie rods over ball joints any day, **** I've even test drove an 08 that needed ball joints. Are they like that on silverados?

And the cabin space in a chevy isnt THAT bad, its not as good as a Ford but it's a hell of a lot better than a previous gen dodge. I'm 6'4 and your not getting my *** back there. My knees touch pretty good in a chevy but it doesn't bother me at all. My knees don't touch in the back of mine though.

The new dodges have great rear seat space and the interior is just as good as the others with all black and leather. Can't stand their shitty *** cloth and all the two tone bullshit, though. The new Fords have beautiful black interior but then a lot have that stupid *** green inlay that looks like it was cut out of a couch in the 70's, I don't understand why it's so hard to make an all black interior.
All fords now have solid color interiors. Two tone was only in job one trucks. Mine will have solid black.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My truck's backseat is like a limo and the seats recline.

Retardedpenguin, What programmer do you have on your truck?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I traded in one of my '08 Duramax Chevy trucks after a year of owning it. It drove like total ****, and wandered around on the highway constantly. Had it aligned a couple times, no change. I found out it was the weaksauce 1960's style steering setup on that chassis, and they always had a lot of slop in them. The Dodge trucks I've owned drove the best, and never wandered. The Dodge also had a shorter turning radius, which I use on a daily basis in parking garages.

However, GM did change everything on the chassis for the '11 model, and I've test driven a couple now. BIG improvement over the '08 I had. The truck felt very quick for a stock truck, and was very quiet.

The '11 Dodge diesels I drove rode smoother, and still had tighter steering. I like the Dodge and Ford interiors best. After owning a new Escalade, two '08 GM trucks (LTZ), I'm sort of bored by the current GM interiors. Too much plastic compared to the Ford/Dodge interior. The door panels on the GM truck are my biggest turnoff, just huge slabs of cheap plastic.

For the price difference, I guess I still prefer the Dodge. When you figure in $8-10K difference in price, that buys you a LOT of diesel fuel.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I 2nd the turning radius point Tony brought up. My mega can bust U's a lot of other brand's 1/2 tons can't.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I like my Dodge.

CAI
DPF delete
H&S 175hp tune

=

My truck putting those 3 in my rearview mirror in a cloud of black smoke while getting well over 20mpg on the highway.
How much does your truck smoke with the H&S? I have an 08 F-250 with the same mods, H&S 275hp tune and it only puffs on the hit but clears up after.

I will make sure not to drive through ditches so I don't wreck my tailgate.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a bully dog triple power pup, it's not the best but the truck will get up and go now, 150hp for $150 bucks isn't bad though. I let 97ss borrow it last weekend and it was just depressingly slow stock. Doesn't black smoke as much as I'd like.

How's the 08 f250 with that tune? I know the Spartan tuned trucks put down 600+ at the wheels reliably. I rode in one and nearly **** myself.

Dodge definitely has the best driving truck. F250s drive good if the ball joint aren't worn. The turn radius is terrible though.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a bully dog triple power pup, it's not the best but the truck will get up and go now, 150hp for $150 bucks isn't bad though. I let 97ss borrow it last weekend and it was just depressingly slow stock. Doesn't black smoke as much as I'd like.

How's the 08 f250 with that tune? I know the Spartan tuned trucks put down 600+ at the wheels reliably. I rode in one and nearly **** myself.

Dodge definitely has the best driving truck. F250s drive good if the ball joint aren't worn. The turn radius is terrible though.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Runs like a champ, I picked it over the the Spartan because of price and increasing power on the fly. The spartan takes like 15 minutes to switch tunes. It does suck to park, that's why I drive the girl friends das auto when we go out.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's actually why I went with Ford is the cabin space plus they are the best trucks in the price range. I couldnt find a clean lifted dmax or cummins for under $20k, sucks because I really wanted to try something different.

Are the Allisons in the new trucks better? I'm disappointed that they don't last long after a 100hp increase. My friends has held up though but the duramax didn't, poor truck.
You just have to look around for the deals. I bought a 2006 Duramax 4 door 4X4 fully loaded with leather and 20" wheels for $19,500.00 at Randel Reed in Humble. It has 91k on it...

It seemed to me the Duramax had more room in the back than the Ford when we was looking. The back seat room in the Dodges SUCK!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Spartan's are over rated. For half the cost I put an SCT Livewire tuned by Innovative Diesel Performance and made more power ad got better mpg. I put down 648RWHP and 1257RWTQ with only the tuner and dpf/cat delete. Still had the factory air box and muffler. I would also get 27mpg hand calculated when running 70. My buddy ran the spartan in an identical truck minus the heavy *** replacement bumper I had. He put down 603RWHP and 1197RWTQ. He also got worse milage. He also had no muffler and an AFE air box. I also went .4 faster in the quarter on a worse 60ft. It also smoked like a freight train which was fun for me!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ws6killer
I would also get 27mpg hand calculated when running 70.
Hard to believe

Last edited by Sluggish; 04-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

at 27mpg

I agree the Ford interior is nicer than gm's. Although it is much better than the last generation. 2013 brings a totally new silverado, maybe they will make it much nicer and bigger. The megacab is ridiculous inside
Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Best combo would be a stout cummins with an allison in a beefed up dodge frame. Now I would love if ford redesigned the old 7.3 and put that in new trucks cause those were amazing, but nope. That exhaust brake on the cummins I hear is wicked cool.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good but I was trying to keep it around $15k. Was your 06 lifted and stuff? Got mine for $14,500 with new 35's, really clean inside and out, supposedly has new injectors, studs and "lots of other new engine parts..

I miss my 7.3, paid $8k for it with an 8in lift and 37s. Wasn't perfect but I wish I would have just kept it and spent the extra cash making that one absolutely badass. Would hve done Fuel wheels, 38's, black with black Harley interior. God I should have kept it, put it up for sale kinda as a joke and sold it quick.