Wrecked 1998 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vexzer
Can you [or anyone] verify or quote code/policy/law on that?
I would call BS on this unless you can prove it -just saying.
I got a ticket dismissed about a year and a half to two years ago...it was a no insurance ticket for a camaro I had bought and was within thirty days of me getting the car (therefore it was dismissed)

Maybe this will help I know its not the exact same but kind of the same principle
Old 04-15-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you [or anyone] verify or quote code/policy/law on that?
I would call BS on this unless you can prove it -just saying.

Sorry about your loss...
A 10 second google search turned up multiple sources
Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by $750 L98
A 10 second google search turned up multiple sources
Damn! You are one smart feller! Here's what I found:
http://www.autoclaimsolutions.com/acw/faqs.html

8. Is there coverage for a new vehicle that I have purchased but has not been added to my policy ?
Yes. An additional car is covered with the broadest coverage provided by your policy. This means if you have a car with liability coverage and a car with collision, comprehensive and liability coverage, the replacement car will have the broadest coverage. A replacement car has the same coverage as the car it replaced. If you traded in a car with only liability coverage, the replacement car will only have liability coverage. Please note: you only have 30 days to add the new or replacement car to your policy or there may not be any coverage if involved in an accident or loss.

Another site: Rules vary
Here are examples of how some major insurers handle transfer of coverage to another car. Your state may have a law that dictates a minimum timeframe.

Allstate: You must inform Allstate within 30 days of buying a new vehicle; after that, there is no coverage. If you add an additional car, you also have 30 days to tell Allstate. Within that time frame the new vehicle will have the same coverage and deductible that your other car carries.

Progressive: You have 30 days to notify Progressive after you purchase a new car. If the new car replaces your old insured car, it will have the same coverage as the car it replaced for 30 days. After that, if you previously carried collision and comprehensive coverage, it won't apply to your new vehicle. Only your liability coverage will still be in effect for the remainder of the policy term. If you buy an additional car that doesn’t replace an existing vehicle, it will have the highest coverage you currently have in your policy -- but only for 30 days and as long as all your vehicles are insured by Progressive.

State Farm: You have 14 days to let your State Farm agent know that you've bought a new car. After 14 days there is no coverage for the vehicle.

But "if the state laws require more, say 30 days, we would have to abide by that ruling," says Jeff McCollum, spokesperson for State Farm. "But the vast majority of states is 14 days for us."
Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean your insurance got screwed up? Its like a 45 second phonecall to add a vehicle to your policy. ???
Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn! You are one smart feller! Here's what I found:
http://www.autoclaimsolutions.com/acw/faqs.html

8. Is there coverage for a new vehicle that I have purchased but has not been added to my policy ?
Yes. An additional car is covered with the broadest coverage provided by your policy. This means if you have a car with liability coverage and a car with collision, comprehensive and liability coverage, the replacement car will have the broadest coverage. A replacement car has the same coverage as the car it replaced. If you traded in a car with only liability coverage, the replacement car will only have liability coverage. Please note: you only have 30 days to add the new or replacement car to your policy or there may not be any coverage if involved in an accident or loss.

Another site: Rules vary
Here are examples of how some major insurers handle transfer of coverage to another car. Your state may have a law that dictates a minimum timeframe.

Allstate: You must inform Allstate within 30 days of buying a new vehicle; after that, there is no coverage. If you add an additional car, you also have 30 days to tell Allstate. Within that time frame the new vehicle will have the same coverage and deductible that your other car carries.

Progressive: You have 30 days to notify Progressive after you purchase a new car. If the new car replaces your old insured car, it will have the same coverage as the car it replaced for 30 days. After that, if you previously carried collision and comprehensive coverage, it won't apply to your new vehicle. Only your liability coverage will still be in effect for the remainder of the policy term. If you buy an additional car that doesn’t replace an existing vehicle, it will have the highest coverage you currently have in your policy -- but only for 30 days and as long as all your vehicles are insured by Progressive.

State Farm: You have 14 days to let your State Farm agent know that you've bought a new car. After 14 days there is no coverage for the vehicle.

But "if the state laws require more, say 30 days, we would have to abide by that ruling," says Jeff McCollum, spokesperson for State Farm. "But the vast majority of states is 14 days for us."
I'm glad you were able to figure it out

Now what do you know?:
It varies by state
It can vary by company
It only applies if it replaces your previous car

But my policy is 30 days, and a google search told you the same thing others telling you, kongrajumalations.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Crazy... This is the car we ended up buying. We are currently still trying to piece it together. Hasnt been a cheap fix and there definetly was frame damage.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the guy obviously wasn't covered huh?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by texasglock23
So the guy obviously wasn't covered huh?
No idea. He never posted after the first post.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:34 PM
joc
Teching In

Originally Posted by frankmarroquin
Crazy... This is the car we ended up buying. We are currently still trying to piece it together. Hasnt been a cheap fix and there definetly was frame damage.
so how much did u guys get it for? if u dont mind me asking?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Think my pops got it for $3500 I think... And from what I guy said no it wasnt covered. Ill post current pics of it soon. Its almost done just needs a couple of things here and there.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yo that will buff out.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Where the hell is the OP?! Since there's a new owner since this thread started, I'm anxious to see updated pics!