Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic of my 72 with flares. Good luck and I will be looking for pics when your done.
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0613.jpg
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VinR1
click here and scroll about halfway down
http://www.grandsportregistry.com/store.htm

If I were you with your resources, I'd get some existing flares like the ones above - they wont fit perfectly but at least its a good template to start with. That way you can add material if need be and it wont look like a tornado threw a piece of a trailer house through your quarter panel. Blend them in to the quarter only, not the bumper - that way you can still see some meat of the tire from the rear of the car... just like the GS's. If you want, blend them in to the front of the quarter and you should be close to your photoshop pic

edit: I just noticed on the link above, directly below the flares, they also sell pieces that mount to the bumper - you can use those and leave a gap so your **** wont crack
Won't work. It's a convex design vs. the concave design of the L88 I require.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1972_Z-28
Here is a pic of my 72 with flares. Good luck and I will be looking for pics when your done.
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=100_0613.jpg
Rad car man. Love the rear of that thing.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience in truck/car shows... anything with body work like that makes it a few show seasons, and then gets redone. Because the bodywork cracks. ESPECIALLY if you plan to drive the car hard and flex it, or around town where it will get flexed into/out of driveways.

I'm not ragging on the idea, but don't spend so much money that you won't be happy refilling and painting when it cracks every couple years. Maybe a full cage, a bunch of support/bracing would limit it, I dunno. I'd be looking around on custom truck shops, as they deal with this kind of work much more often than anyone on here.

Personally, the bloated green one looks bad ***.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Austin Auflick
I didn't want to do minitub/narrowed rear. I wanted to do this. I appreciate what you guys' preference in what you'd do for your project. But you guys make it sound like I didn't have a choice in the matter. I have $35k in parts alone on this car. I can do anything I want

I'm pretty sure you're a five year-old.
ok charlie sheen, you made a close guess.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Austin, You have have always had a good eye for tasteful mods on fbodies. I trust you know what your doing, find someone who KNOWs what the **** they are doing so they can create what you want specifically.

have you contacted PAINTHOUSE in Tomball?

This is a project for versed professionals. IMHO
Old 04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VinR1
click here and scroll about halfway down
http://www.grandsportregistry.com/store.htm

If I were you with your resources, I'd get some existing flares like the ones above - they wont fit perfectly but at least its a good template to start with. That way you can add material if need be and it wont look like a tornado threw a piece of a trailer house through your quarter panel. Blend them in to the quarter only, not the bumper - that way you can still see some meat of the tire from the rear of the car... just like the GS's. If you want, blend them in to the front of the quarter and you should be close to your photoshop pic

edit: I just noticed on the link above, directly below the flares, they also sell pieces that mount to the bumper - you can use those and leave a gap so your **** wont crack
Won't work. It's a convex design vs. the concave design of the L88 I require.
well, I'm done

good luck with your project
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Austin, You have have always had a good eye for tasteful mods on fbodies. I trust you know what your doing, find someone who KNOWs what the **** they are doing so they can create what you want specifically.

have you contacted PAINTHOUSE in Tomball?

This is a project for versed professionals. IMHO
Thanks for the love Joe. I'm kinda needing it in here. Whew! I've been lookin aroun for shops. But ill definitely keep your recommendation in mind. Thanks again Joe.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

I like that it's something different and I think it could potentially look good. Although like anything this custom, people's opinions are going to be highly polarized.

I think you should consider a more gradual flare like on my Z06:

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow! F'ing sick! Love how you're tieing the flares together with the body and side skirts. This is going to be the best flares ever done on an fbody, flat out. I can't help at all but I want to do the same thing to my ws6 except I won't go with such a large flare, I'm gonna spin it off the c6z06 shape/size.

Anyway I was hoping to see some finished pics by now when I seen your post! GL wrapping this up!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

the green one would look completely different with a rim that has a deep dish in it.

If you can model the C6 Z-O you'll have one sick ride.

OP, why did you argue VinR1 at every step? From what I see he was the only one trying to help you here. If you didn't/don't want help you shouldn't have posted
Old 04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Anniversary "Z"
the green one would look completely different with a rim that has a deep dish in it.

If you can model the C6 Z-O you'll have one sick ride.

OP, why did you argue VinR1 at every step? From what I see he was the only one trying to help you here. If you didn't/don't want help you shouldn't have posted
C6 z06 flare - the hard lines of the vette allow for a flat flare to be had. The T/A doesn't have the hard lines at all. So it wouldn't look right to me.

Arguing with VinR1- I didn't argue. I simply told him his suggested method wouldn't work for me. I already have the template I like, which is a concave flare. It wouldn't make sense to go start all over with a c4 vette convex flare.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

I think you have a lot of work ahead of you to make it look like your photoshop. I'm also not a fan of your photoshop pic, it looks like something was just stuck on the side of the car because it doesn't follow any lines of the car. The L88 is a nice looking car, but I'm not seeing what exactly you were inspired by. The green car looks kinda funny to me because of the front end, not because of the back end. I think the back end on the green car looks better than yours will turn out. I would copy more the Datsun, Z06, L88 look personally, but obviously it's your car.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
I think you have a lot of work ahead of you to make it look like your photoshop. I'm also not a fan of your photoshop pic, it looks like something was just stuck on the side of the car because it doesn't follow any lines of the car. The L88 is a nice looking car, but I'm not seeing what exactly you were inspired by. The green car looks kinda funny to me because of the front end, not because of the back end. I think the back end on the green car looks better than yours will turn out. I would copy more the Datsun, Z06, L88 look personally, but obviously it's your car.
I don't care about your opinion. I didn't ask anyone what they think. I'm asking for a hand in helping me finish my project. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Austin thanks for the compliments on my 72, some hate and some like, again good luck with your project.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

I don't care about your opinion. I didn't ask anyone what they think. I'm asking for a hand in helping me finish my project. Thanks.
People have offered ideas to help you finish and you just shoot them down. What kind of help are you looking for? You've glassed in a hard angle, are you planning on using filler for the rest? Did you use your clay molding as the form and glass over it? A lot of guys use styrofoam for their base and shave it how they want it to look and then glass over it. Be more specific on what you need help on.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Regular

People have offered ideas to help you finish and you just shoot them down. What kind of help are you looking for? You've glassed in a hard angle, are you planning on using filler for the rest? Did you use your clay molding as the form and glass over it? A lot of guys use styrofoam for their base and shave it how they want it to look and then glass over it. Be more specific on what you need help on.
Uuuhh, no they haven't. They've offered plenty of criticism, and asinine recommendations that required little thought (minitub/narrowed rear, sheet metal, c4 flares etc.) Like I didn't consider minitubs, pshhh. Furthermore, it's pretty obvious none of the aforementioned people have any experience with this type of work on an fbody themselves. I've been planning this for months and I know what I want and I'm executing.
To answer your question - The kind of help I'm looking for is someone in the Houston area that has experience with this sort of thing to offer up some expertise, perhaps physically helping me (which of course, they'll be compensated.)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:32 PM
TECH Resident

so you don't have a problem per se, it's more of a look at what I have done and look at my photoshopped picture of what I want it to look like and help me get from point A to B?

Edit: Looking at the pictures and thinking some more, have you gotten it roughed in and you are needing help cleaning it up and blending it in now into the fender and making the ends taper down so it has a more finished look? I don't think that I'm the only one not fully understanding what you are asking help with and whether you are looking for pointers or if you are looking for someone to finish what you started.

Last edited by ulakovic22; 04-14-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Regular

so you don't have a problem per se, it's more of a look at what I have done and look at my photoshopped picture of what I want it to look like and help me get from point A to B?
Well, I consider point A to B to be a problem as I have no experience in body work. But sure, that sounds about right.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Edit: Looking at the pictures and thinking some more, have you gotten it roughed in and you are needing help cleaning it up and blending it in now into the fender and making the ends taper down so it has a more finished look? I don't think that I'm the only one not fully understanding what you are asking help with and whether you are looking for pointers or if you are looking for someone to finish what you started.
Yeah, I'm looking for pointers or physical help. I want to be involved in this project.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...