Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know why I continue to try to help... guess I'm too nice

last post I swear

your concave flare idea (your PS, the 'vette, etc) WILL NOT work unless you have IRS. If you do, then ignore the rest of my post. However, if you still have the solid rear, when you hit a bump, your fiberglass creation will end up in pieces all over the highway. I sure hope to hell you're planning on cutting out a nice section of your quarter to allow for wheel/tire travel

the reason I suggested convex flares (similar to the green TA you seem to despise 'bloated') is for the same reason above

I DO have bodywork experience and although not specifically flaring the quarters on an Fbody, I have added dually fenders (both factory and hand-glassed) onto trucks that were not duallys from the factory. I have seen what happens when solid axles come into contact with steel quarters and have had to strip mounds of fiberglass and resin off cars similar to yours... at least the pieces that werent left on the street

I admire your creativeness but good luck finding someone to help you (whether compensated or not) with your shitty know-it-all attitude

deuces
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VinR1
your concave flare idea (your PS, the 'vette, etc) WILL NOT work unless you have IRS. If you do, then ignore the rest of my post. However, if you still have the solid rear, when you hit a bump, your fiberglass creation will end up in pieces all over the highway. I sure hope to hell you're planning on cutting out a nice section of your quarter to allow for wheel/tire travel
This is very helpful advice. Also about the only pointer so far that's constructive.

the reason I suggested convex flares (similar to the green TA you seem to despise 'bloated') is for the same reason above
I said I didn't prefer the look. Not that I despised it. I'm kind of taken out of context here...
I DO have bodywork experience and although not specifically flaring the quarters on an Fbody, I have added dually fenders (both factory and hand-glassed) onto trucks that were not duallys from the factory. I have seen what happens when solid axles come into contact with steel quarters and have had to strip mounds of fiberglass and resin off cars similar to yours... at least the pieces that werent left on the street
Again, helpful knowing you have this kind of experience.

I admire your creativeness but good luck finding someone to help you (whether compensated or not) with your shitty know-it-all attitude
deuces
This is pretty rude. I haven't presented a "know-it-all attitude. I just know what I want and people are offering up crappy advice. I'm the first to admit, I don't know what I'm doing here and I need help. So how's that "know-it-all"?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck, in for pictures.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I wouldn't do something like this to my car. I applaud your creativeness and determination man. I can tell you want to get it done, and be a part of the process. I hope you're able to find someone to help you finish it and everything turns out how you wanted.

Goodluck man.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should post this in the body work/paint section, you'll get more responses that you're looking for. Also, remember you're on an open public forum full of people that talk **** to each other as a favorite past time, so don't take everything personally. You don't really have a "know it all" attitude, but you do seem close minded to any changes to what you have in your mind, which is what's turning people off.

Just my $.02
Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

i would of done it this way

Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

there was a real old thread on z28.com that had a step by step build of a 4th gen that had flares done in a tastful way. i think the thread was named "my secret summer project" the camaro was red and black. i couldnt find it but maybe someone knows where to find it. i think you could learn alot from how they did it. they used foam on the car to build and shape the flares then they were able to build a mold off of it. if i remember right he was running a 345 tire. good luck!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v8sten

that car is SO sick.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Sub for pics! nice to see people get creative, regardless of what people say it your ****.
Not to dis but, on the other hand you should have done a sample with clay or foam or old boxes to see how everything measures and. Lines up, fiberglass bonds has to be sanded off if you don't like it or if you need to correct a mistake on position... obviously its to late for that best advice take your time it should come out like you want it.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1996Formula
that car is SO sick.
X2...that car is sick...

I've always like the zl1 and dick harrell cars...
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scira
You should post this in the body work/paint section, you'll get more responses that you're looking for. Also, remember you're on an open public forum full of people that talk **** to each other as a favorite past time, so don't take everything personally. You don't really have a "know it all" attitude, but you do seem close minded to any changes to what you have in your mind, which is what's turning people off.
Just my $.02
This is true. I definitely am close minded about changing my design. Sucks that's a problem for the people who ultimately won't own the car.

Originally Posted by v8sten
If I had a camaro, I would have done it this way no doubt.

Originally Posted by mondols1
there was a real old thread on z28.com that had a step by step build of a 4th gen that had flares done in a tastful way. i think the thread was named "my secret summer project" the camaro was red and black. i couldnt find it but maybe someone knows where to find it. i think you could learn alot from how they did it. they used foam on the car to build and shape the flares then they were able to build a mold off of it. if i remember right he was running a 345 tire. good luck!
VERY INTERESTED. I thought I'd seen every widened fcar to date. I definitely haven't seen this one. Thanks for bringing this up. I'm on a mission.

Originally Posted by TehGODofGreen
Sub for pics! nice to see people get creative, regardless of what people say it your ****.
Not to dis but, on the other hand you should have done a sample with clay or foam or old boxes to see how everything measures and. Lines up, fiberglass bonds has to be sanded off if you don't like it or if you need to correct a mistake on position... obviously its to late for that best advice take your time it should come out like you want it.
I did start with clay to make my mold, then I glassed over it. I'm confused as to what your advice is. I want to emphasize I appreciate your comments, but I don't understand exactly what your saying as opposed to what I did already.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
On The Tree

This makes me sick, flared fenders rarely turn out good. I have rear flared fenders on my C5 but they are bolt on. Make it super dirty or super clean, only way to look good.

Good luck.

Examples.

My friends dirty E30.

Clean.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

I dig ur vette bro. Definitely the route I'm going.

Edit: To be more precise...
Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-l88-flare2.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-l88-flare6.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-l88-flare9.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-l88-flare10.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-l88-flare13.jpg

Last edited by Austin Auflick; 04-15-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: pics
Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

hurry up and finish so i can see
Old 04-15-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

I agree, the L88 Vette style was whack! I understand a person's desire for an idea in their mind though and we wouldn't have all these different rides and different mods and designs if everyone followed the same path. I applaud you for that. Just envision if that's what you want your car to look like. Maybe some good photoshopping? I think the more subtle flair looks great and that is only my opinion. If you do them like this the first time, there is nothing at all but time and labor to start over and do them again if you don't like it.

This info comes from a custom bodyman/painter with over 20 years of custom car and bike experience. It can be done!!! You do have to consider what others with knowledge have pointed out about stress cracking and flexing of fiberglassed parts.
Good luck, and I will check back for pic often.

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-100_2490.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-100_2494.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-100_2526.jpg
Old 04-15-2011, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

FSTR/TA - Thanks for all your comments. I agree wholeheartedly. I did upload a photoshop I did on post 28. I love your vette bro. Look sharp.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Thats a serious project without prior experience, good luck. I grafted a custom hood scoop (fg) onto my hood as well as a spoiler onto the decklid. my advice is take your time. hopefully you sanded the crap outta the quarter so you have the best possible surface to bond to.

projects like these are live and learn, don't get discouraged.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Thats a serious project without prior experience, good luck. I grafted a custom hood scoop (fg) onto my hood as well as a spoiler onto the decklid. my advice is take your time. hopefully you sanded the crap outta the quarter so you have the best possible surface to bond to.

projects like these are live and learn, don't get discouraged.
Great words of encouragement. Yeah I'm just gonna take my time and get everything just the way I like it...now if I just had the know-how...
Old 04-15-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

^^^Ha ha ha! That thing sucks.

Quick Reply: Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...