Generation V V8: The future of performance

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
Gm already has variable valve timing on their v8 engines... And gm does have dual overhead cam engines... Just no v8's. The problem with dohc engines is really simple in relation to pushrod motors... More moving parts on an ohc engine, more **** to **** up.
Correction: GM had a DOHC V8 -- a 4.6 Liter unit called the Northstar. It was dimensionally larger, heavier, less powerful, used more gas and was more expensive that the current 6.2 liter Pushrod motors. It was discontinued.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dwightlooi
Correction: GM had a DOHC V8 -- a 4.6 Liter unit called the Northstar. It was dimensionally larger, heavier, less powerful, used more gas and was more expensive that the current 6.2 liter Pushrod motors. It was discontinued.
And the LT5. Which was in the first ZR-1.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't mind Powell, the last time he turned a wrench on an LS motor was likely a Gen III. Things have changed quite a bit since then, which I can tell he hasn't studied up on.

The only benefit of OHC engines is the ability to run higher rpm more efficiently. But, that doesn't matter if you aren't spinning the engine up over 8,000 rpm. Anything under that, and pushrods keep up just fine. I'd love to see a 10,000 rpm OHC V8 produced in an affordable car, something with at least 6.0L would do. It won't happen. Manufacturers know that RPM kills engines and reliability.

VVT and DI are already on quite a few GM cars. GM also has turbos on a few current cars. Neither of these are new topics for GM. Even the 08+ Viper has VVT with an OHV engine. GM already has this technology in-house, on production cars. Adapting it to a V8 is just adding two more cylinders.

Tony
Old 04-23-2011, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Yeah after I made that post I remembered both of them. Thanks guys.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Don't mind Powell, the last time he turned a wrench on an LS motor was likely a Gen III. Things have changed quite a bit since then, which I can tell he hasn't studied up on.

The only benefit of OHC engines is the ability to run higher rpm more efficiently. But, that doesn't matter if you aren't spinning the engine up over 8,000 rpm. Anything under that, and pushrods keep up just fine. I'd love to see a 10,000 rpm OHC V8 produced in an affordable car, something with at least 6.0L would do. It won't happen. Manufacturers know that RPM kills engines and reliability.

VVT and DI are already on quite a few GM cars. GM also has turbos on a few current cars. Neither of these are new topics for GM. Even the 08+ Viper has VVT with an OHV engine. GM already has this technology in-house, on production cars. Adapting it to a V8 is just adding two more cylinders.

Tony
I've touched a few GEN IV motors as well. But I do know I have a BIT more experience in OHC and VVT motors than probably anyone in this thread.

I rev'ed my car to 7800 RPM (could have gone to 8k, but we were already making way more than double the stock output of the stock engine/cams/heads in my car why just taunt blowing it up even more). There is no OHV motor that will do that with stock valvesprings, retainers, valves, cams, etc... Made power to 7800 as well and I've got every dyno to prove it.

Regardless of the fact another thing mentioned was the adaption of new PCM's as well. I have a bit of experience in that portion, not all hands on but I've been explained and showed a lot about the later generation ECUs that plenty of companies use (most not to be "spread" out on the internet). I do know if they use a Motronic ECU you will see a drop in actual "tuners" by a BIG amount. Remember Porsche/BMW/Audi/VW/Lambo/Ferrari/etc... are all using the same type of Bosch ECU... The DI motors use the Siemens ECU, but it still writes just like the Bosch... I don't know a tuner in Houston that does LS1's that has the knowledge themselves to write the software and do everything themselves. You can go a buy a Byteshooter and a few other neat little tools but the actual file you modify is not as easy as people think (after spending $30k in hardware/software, if not more). Now throwing a standalone on to do everything is possible but you do lose some things. Adapting it is not as easy as on most cars because just like on the C5/C6/etc.. you have multiple computers that control everything and if you remove one you have issues of making them play together.

New generation of ANY car means more of a headache for **** to work together... Anyone that's had new cars that use new platforms can verify that.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Dude **** you!!! You can make threads on here but you cant ****** call your friends every once in awhile?
Old 04-24-2011, 12:01 AM
2TR
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by LoudGM
Dude **** you!!! You can make threads on here but you cant ****** call your friends every once in awhile?
Lol This should be in my sig!

Quick Reply: Generation V V8: The future of performance