Anyone know anything about Escalade's????

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about Escalade's????

Well the Wifes 2005 Escalade decided just to shut down while driving down the road yesterday. Try and start it back up and nothing no clicks or anything. When it did shut down the doors locked and unlocked.

There are also a bunch of other things that stopped working.
Radio
Gauges in dash
power windows
power locks

Tried everything I could think of and nothing is working. Changed out the ignition switch. Looked at all the fuses you would think it would be(open to suggestions if there is one I missed). Swapped out relays, changed batteries, checked a few grounds.

The scanner also will not connect to the vehicle

I'm lost any help would be appreciated.

PS Yes I tried turning the key...
Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 PM

Have a diagnostic test done. Just plug into the computer to see if your getting any codes.
11 Second Club

sound like a very bad battery or battery and alternator
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like the alternator, same **** on my girlfriends car.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Curveball TECH

One of my clients started having similar problems in her escalade (not sure what year) She told me the dealership looked at it and had to replace "the computer" I'm guessing it was the ecu? Maybe worth checking into.

Good Luck
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try a battery
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Teching In

they are made by cadillac... lol jk jk
Old 04-18-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your problem involves:

1. the serial data communications within your wiring harness. The ignition switch will control the 12v B+,power mode, but if the BCM doesn't work properly then no data will be sent. This would create the vehicle to not turn on, crank and anything inside work with the Battery having full 12V's from the battery. The BCM on the 2005 Escalades are known to quit working.

OR

2. Check the main "mega fuse" from the battery, they are known to develop heat spots and prevent current passage.

Conclusion: The vehicle shutting down sounds like it is a serial data problem due to the control modules all crashing at once. Possible power to grounds in the harness are not completely unlikly to happen but me personally have not seen it much on the year model.

Source: GM Certified, Cadillac Tech.

Your Welcome.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Staging Lane

Its the altenator had the sane thing to happen to me in my chevy truck.change the battery also and she will fire right up.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Staging Lane

08-4door is right I also changed out the alternator and sure enough it fired right up.

Javier
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97camaross
Your problem involves:

1. the serial data communications within your wiring harness. The ignition switch will control the 12v B+,power mode, but if the BCM doesn't work properly then no data will be sent. This would create the vehicle to not turn on, crank and anything inside work with the Battery having full 12V's from the battery. The BCM on the 2005 Escalades are known to quit working.

OR

2. Check the main "mega fuse" from the battery, they are known to develop heat spots and prevent current passage.

Conclusion: The vehicle shutting down sounds like it is a serial data problem due to the control modules all crashing at once. Possible power to grounds in the harness are not completely unlikly to happen but me personally have not seen it much on the year model.

Source: GM Certified, Cadillac Tech.

Your Welcome.
Good info Thanks!! Will look into it.

No its not the alternator or battery
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BADZ
Have a diagnostic test done. Just plug into the computer to see if your getting any codes.
cannot scan the computer. wont link up.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Launching!

if its that old and a scanner wont communicate, try the cig lighter fuse located in the underhood fuse block, and start there...
as far as the problem sound more of a power issue ie. postive cable rubbing on something like the p/s pump or the negative cable isnt tight on the left side of the block..
as far as the other tech on here i seriously doubt its a communications issue via the serial data since in the year the driver and pass. door modules were independent from all other data lines
Old 04-19-2011, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

also check into the security system. i'v seen it on a tahoe before. not sure what happened but the dealership replace the whole system.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ramairracer
if its that old and a scanner wont communicate, try the cig lighter fuse located in the underhood fuse block, and start there...
as far as the problem sound more of a power issue ie. postive cable rubbing on something like the p/s pump or the negative cable isnt tight on the left side of the block..
as far as the other tech on here i seriously doubt its a communications issue via the serial data since in the year the driver and pass. door modules were independent from all other data lines
Already checked and double checked the connections and replaced the cig fuse.

When I turn the key on the only things that come on are the headlights and the air conditioner fan. The computer wont transmit to the scanner.

Wife told me that the vehicle would lock and unlock the doors and lose power for a split second but never died before. When she first told me this I figured it was the battery cables because they were a little loose. I scanned the car for codes then and couldn't get it to scan so I replaced the cig fuse and scanned again. The car had 0 codes. The car didn't do it again for a couple weeks until this last time when everything crapped out.

I am currently at work for the next two weeks but have a buddy going by tomorrow to check a few of these issues.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Well I found the issue the other day when I finally got off of my 2 week work hitch.

It was a ground issue. A black and gray wire on the backside of the block. Placement of the wire made it a pain to get to but grounded it back down and everything cranked up without a issue.

Before I get a holy bat **** your engine is dirtier that a 60 year old hooker batman.

Its not bad for west texas

Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

good job finding that problem. What lead you to it?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

that greasy dressing is going to do a number on that dirt, change it into oily-dirt mud lol
Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Launching!

ahh thats pesky g103 or g104 gm doesnt even know which it is,most people find it a pain to put it on the back of the block and relocate it to the front
Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HTX
good job finding that problem. What lead you to it?
I was talking about it to the mechanic I take my company truck to get serviced and told him what I have checked and the issues I am having. He said, "yeah check this wire I see it a lot."

Funny how he see's it a lot and every other person I have talked to about it has never seen it before.

Originally Posted by 5W20
that greasy dressing is going to do a number on that dirt, change it into oily-dirt mud lol
At least it will be that wet muddy look rather than a blowing dust bowl and it just takes a good rinse and its back to looking good again.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about Escalade's????