2011 F150 Ecoboost = City Slicker truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 F150 Ecoboost = City Slicker truck

I am a GM loyalist, but I will give my respect to Ford when the deserve it. The 2011 F150s are the best truck in the half ton market. However, I am not sold on the Ecoboost. On paper the F150 Ecoboost is a great idea. The main focus of the Ecoboost is MPG. A TT V6 truck that has more power and gets better MPG than a traditional NA V8. 365 hp, 420 lb-ft of torque, 22 MPG, and a tow rating of 17,100 lbs is nothing to mess with, but that's what the media ads and salesmen are telling you.

I haven't driven a Ecoboost F150 but I can only image the power you have. I bet the torque curve feels amazing when you floor it to the ground. Good job there.

If you keep your foot out of it, you could prob get the claimed 22 MPG. However if you are like me, the RPM gauge will see some use. As we are all well aware, twin turbos, any FI engine for that matter, love sucking down gas when in boost. You will see a a huge decline in MPG. I am willing to bet that the 5.0 gets better "enthusiast" MPG than the Ecoboost.

The 17,100 lbs tow rating is class leading, but the real world towing MPG numbers are going to be horrible. Those turbos are going to glowing red when you are towing with the F150 Ecoboost. Sure the Ecoboost is towing 17,100 with lots of power with ease. No problem there. But you will being getting horrible real world towing MPG.

The Ecoboost is an expensive engine to produce. The Ecoboost was built originally for high end Ford cars like Lincolns and SHOs, not trucks. Ford must build more vehicles with Ecoboost to drive down the costs to eventually make profit. I bet Ford took a financial hit designing and manufacturing the Ecoboost. The Ecoboost purpose is to attract new Ford customers. The Ecoboost does a great job giving off a "high tech Tokyo" appeal. Those new customers want the "claimed" MPG to save mother earth and expensive high tech, direct injected, twin turbo technology.

The F150 Ecoboost is perfect truck for City Slicker customers that will use it for daily driving with the occasional light loads from Lowes. Ford saw the benefits of the Ecoboost for the City Slicker customers and built a truck for them. I believe the F150 Ecoboost propose on the market is to attract new Ford truck buyers, not Ford truck loyalist. I am not bashing Ford's quality, but I don't think they want you to be in boost all day long. Ecoboost engines are going to be expensive to warranty. Ford wants City Slickers to buy them, not Ford enthusiasts that love boost.

The 5.0 F150s are the most logical choice IMO. You get the must have manly V8 that sounds great, MPG slighty worse than the Ecoboost, and Mustang BOSS bragging rights. Not to metion the awesome 5.0 is cheaper than the Ecoboost. As GM loyalist, I am not afraid of the expensive Ecoboost, but the cheaper 5.0 and 6.2 scare me. Nice V6 *****!

tl;dr
The 2011 Ecoboost F150 = a expensive, "girly sounding" V6 City Slicker truck that gets slightly better MPG than the 5.0 V8 and has awesome power. However if you actually drive it like a man and lay the hammer down, you will get horrible real world daily and towing MPG, which defeats the whole purpose of the Ecoboost idea. The V8 work horse that sound awesome, Mustang BOSS like, 5.0 F150s are the best trucks on the market, for now....

Last edited by texas94z; 05-09-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool story, Bro!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:48 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
I am a GM loyalist, but I will give my respect to Ford when the deserve it. The 2011 F150s are the best truck in the half ton market. However, I am not sold on the Ecoboost. On paper the F150 Ecoboost is a great idea. The main focus of the Ecoboost is MPG. A TT V6 truck that has more power and gets better MPG than a traditional NA V8. 365 hp, 420 lb-ft of torque, 22 MPG, and a tow rating of 17,100 lbs is nothing to mess with, but that's what the media ads and salesmen are telling you.

I haven't driven a Ecoboost F150 but I can only image the power you have. I bet the torque curve feels amazing when you floor it to the ground. Good job there.

If you keep your foot out of it, you could prob get the claimed 22 MPG. However if you are like me, the RPM gauge will see some use. As we are all well aware, twin turbos, any FI engine for that matter, love sucking down gas when in boost. You will see a a huge decline in MPG. I am willing to bet that the 5.0 gets better "enthusiast" MPG than the Ecoboost.

The 17,100 lbs tow rating is class leading, but the real world towing MPG numbers are going to be horrible. Those turbos are going to glowing red when you are towing with the F150 Ecoboost. Sure the Ecoboost is towing 17,100 with lots of power with ease. No problem there. But you will being getting horrible real world towing MPG.

The Ecoboost is an expensive engine to produce. The Ecoboost was built originally for high end Ford cars like Lincolns and SHOs, not trucks. Ford must build more vehicles with Ecoboost to drive down the costs to eventually make profit. I bet Ford took a financial hit designing and manufacturing the Ecoboost. The Ecoboost purpose is to attract new Ford customers. The Ecoboost does a great job giving off a "high tech Tokyo" appeal. Those new customers want the "claimed" MPG to save mother earth and expensive high tech, direct injected, twin turbo technology.

The F150 Ecoboost is perfect truck for City Slicker customers that will use it for daily driving with the occasional light loads from Lowes. Ford saw the benefits of the Ecoboost for the City Slicker customers and built a truck for them. I believe the F150 Ecoboost propose on the market is to attract new Ford truck buyers, not Ford truck loyalist. I am not bashing Ford's quality, but I don't think they want you to be in boost all day long. Ecoboost engines are going to be expensive to warranty. Ford wants City Slickers to buy them, not Ford enthusiasts that love boost.

The 5.0 F150s are the most logical choice IMO. You get the must have manly V8 that sounds great, MPG slighty worse than the Ecoboost, and Mustang BOSS bragging rights. Not to metion the awesome 5.0 is cheaper than the Ecoboost. As GM loyalist, I am not afraid of the expensive Ecoboost, but the cheaper 5.0 and 6.2 scare me. Nice V6 *****!

tl;dr
The 2011 Ecoboost F150 = a expensive, "girly sounding" V6 City Slicker truck that gets slightly better MPG than the 5.0 V8 and has awesome power. However if you actually drive it like a man and lay the hammer down, you will get horrible real world daily and towing MPG, which defeats the whole purpose of the Ecoboost idea. The V8 work horse that sound awesome, Mustang BOSS like, 5.0 F150s are the best trucks on the market, for now....
I stopped reading seriously at the bolded part. You are a car person you should know that fuel consumption has no relevance to whether the engine is FI or N/A. It takes the same amount of fuel to make power whether it be NA or FI. This isn't something new to cars either...

Diesels use Turbos and they are the biggest sellers on the market when it comes to towing... Those POS city slicker Dodge owners and their straight-6 Diesel...
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Cool story, Bro!
Thanks brah! Just bored and decided to type away.

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
I stopped reading seriously at the bolded part. You are a car person you should know that fuel consumption has no relevance to whether the engine is FI or N/A. It takes the same amount of fuel to make power whether it be NA or FI. This isn't something new to cars either...

Diesels use Turbos and they are the biggest sellers on the market when it comes to towing... Those POS city slicker Dodge owners and their straight-6 Diesel...
Yeah, I understand that. I should have worded that a little different for the appropriate audience. If you have two engines, one FI and one NA, that make the same peak power, the FI engine will consume for fuel because it makes more power across the board at differnet rpms.

There is nothing worse than a 1 ton diesel truck owner that doesn't use the truck for its attended purpose.

Last edited by texas94z; 05-09-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Drove one of these this past week and was a let down the 5.0 was a better choice
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mr Powell

his first 5 words give you all you need to know

Originally Posted by texas94z
Thanks brah! Just bored and decided to type away.

Yeah, I understand that. I should have worded that a little different for the appropriate audience. If you have two engines, one FI and one NA, that make the same peak power, the FI engine will consume for fuel because it makes more power across the board at differnet rpms.

There is nothing worse than a 1 ton diesel truck owner that doesn't use the truck for its attended purpose.

so having turbos is not the way to go...

apparently the use too much gas, are not reliable, and they aren't worth a **** in the real world.

You an Mr. Hotdog_G8 or however its typed should go sit at a bar and drink until you guys are plastered and tell each other "The Great GM stories" and how they are untouchable in all aspects. I bet you guys could go on for hours.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 08 Sierra now. next truck will be a crew cab F150. Just nicer trucks.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got annoyed and stopped reading because you used the word "ecoboost" too much...
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand. Chevy Volt, Ford Ecoboost....WTF? Why don't they just come out with the smaller turbo diesels in half ton pickups?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
I don't understand. Chevy Volt, Ford Ecoboost....WTF? Why don't they just come out with the smaller turbo diesels in half ton pickups?
They are...

They need to design an inline cummins diesel that weighs as much as a standard V8. That's the only issue with diesel trucks, waay to heavy. But a light duty cummins would get killer mpgs.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

My old boss was a 6"4 350 pound guy, his DD was F-350 (The diesel version unless its a 250) Quad Cab, Leather fully loaded. I guess he's a city slicker for buying a vehicle he can fit in.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Those new Ford engines are bad ***. And the twin turbo 6 cylinder is the future of quarter ton trucks. Kudos to FORD!!!

Just for the record... I said they are the future... they are not yet all that great, but they will be.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
I got annoyed and stopped reading because you used the word "ecoboost" too much...
ecoboost
Old 05-10-2011, 01:25 AM
Launching!

I'm curious how much power the ecoboost can make reliably just by cranking up the boost. It's pretty great when you can buy a car, invest in nothing but a boost controller, and get lots more ponies. This makes me want to buy a factory turbo car...
Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
ecoboost
ecoboost
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chadder
I'm curious how much power the ecoboost can make reliably just by cranking up the boost. It's pretty great when you can buy a car, invest in nothing but a boost controller, and get lots more ponies. This makes me want to buy a factory turbo car...
get a 911 then :]
Old 05-10-2011, 06:00 AM
TECH Junkie

News flash: People don't just buy trucks to go offroading or to be used as work trucks. The trend these days is that trucks are just bigger nice cars. If you've gone to a showroom lately, you'll see this. Heated leather seats, GPS, automatically retracting running boards, etc. People are used to having these things in cars, and they've avoided buying trucks because they didn't want to give up those creature comforts.

So, manufacturers did the smart thing: They adapted. People are buying them because they're big, and they can occasionally bring home a new washer/dryer, or a few yards of mulch. It's handy to have around, but most people don't want to have two vehicles, they want one that can be versatile.

What people on this and other forums need to understand is most people are not enthusiasts. They don't care what their car sounds like or how much more they could tow with a diesel. They care about comfort, getting good gas mileage, and (at most) being able to tow a boat down to Galveston. Why on Earth WOULDN'T Ford make a truck that appeals to the masses? Just because YOU think it's not trucky enough?

-Mike
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
News flash: People don't just buy trucks to go offroading or to be used as work trucks. The trend these days is that trucks are just bigger nice cars. If you've gone to a showroom lately, you'll see this. Heated leather seats, GPS, automatically retracting running boards, etc. People are used to having these things in cars, and they've avoided buying trucks because they didn't want to give up those creature comforts.

So, manufacturers did the smart thing: They adapted. People are buying them because they're big, and they can occasionally bring home a new washer/dryer, or a few yards of mulch. It's handy to have around, but most people don't want to have two vehicles, they want one that can be versatile.

What people on this and other forums need to understand is most people are not enthusiasts. They don't care what their car sounds like or how much more they could tow with a diesel. They care about comfort, getting good gas mileage, and (at most) being able to tow a boat down to Galveston. Why on Earth WOULDN'T Ford make a truck that appeals to the masses? Just because YOU think it's not trucky enough?

-Mike
Mike wins! Fatality!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess the GNX, Typhoon, and Syclones had ***** V6's too, and they only had a single turbo.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

A horrible long list of opinions and no data... thanks for the huge waste of time.

Oh and btw, making power is making power, the V8 isn't going to get gobs of better MPG under high load, it takes air and fuel to make xxxhp and/or xxxtq, a larger displacement engine does not use less air and fuel to make equal power