quick rant on stupid drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to complain about stupid drivers and how the freeways suck around here (houston) until i was stationed over in so cal and had to deal with LA traffic. that is by far the worst traffic i have ever seen, and its stretched out so far. it doesnt matter what time of day/night it is there is always bumper to bumper traffic and everybody is pissed off to no degree. after dealing with that im a much calmer driver over here in houston, its weird how that works. but when im towing a trailer, its a different ball game
Old 05-12-2011, 11:08 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
are you delusional to the point that you actually believe this crap, or are you just mentally challenged?

do you know how many people would be out of a job (or worse) if they stayed home because they couldn't go the posted speed limit in the rain safely?

the burden is not for others to speed up to accommodate you, the burden is upon you to slow down to a safe speed when you encounter someone else going slower than you (assuming there is no way to go around them).

it is impossible for everyone on the road to go the posted highway speed in the rain, for multiple reasons....visibility & condition of the vehicle being the two major reasons. not only that but TX state traffic statutes clearly state that you are not to go faster than the circumstances allow for:
then stay off the highway. texas has feeder roads. If you are driving considerably slower than the traffic around you.... you are a danger to them.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HTX
If you are that concerned then stay off the road. My box truck does just fine in rain so i have no problem staying on the highway at highway speeds. the danger is people going 40mph when other drivers are having to swerve around them because traffic is still flowing at 65mph.

My camaro on the other hand sucks in water. I almost never get on a highway in that thing because of how terrible it is. Like i said. If your not capable of going highway speeds on a highway then stay off. (unless of course all of traffic is driving slow due to extreme weather)
Obviously you don't get the law, and you are fortunate that you haven't been cited for driving to fast for conditions. It's a guaranteed lay off and points on your license, please stay in Houston san Antonio is safer with you there!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:34 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by svg210
Obviously you don't get the law, and you are fortunate that you haven't been cited for driving to fast for conditions. It's a guaranteed lay off and points on your license, please stay in Houston san Antonio is safer with you there!
The law and common sense is not always the same thing. According to the law if I Ger a wild hair up my *** and decide to take a stroll down the middle of I10 you have to yeild to me. Common sense tells you that that would be completely retarded and extremely dangerous for myself and everyone one that road.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

are you delusional to the point that you actually believe this crap, or are you just mentally challenged?

do you know how many people would be out of a job (or worse) if they stayed home because they couldn't go the posted speed limit in the rain safely?

the burden is not for others to speed up to accommodate you, the burden is upon you to slow down to a safe speed when you encounter someone else going slower than you (assuming there is no way to go around them).

it is impossible for everyone on the road to go the posted highway speed in the rain, for multiple reasons....visibility & condition of the vehicle being the two major reasons. not only that but TX state traffic statutes clearly state that you are not to go faster than the circumstances allow for:
It's been re posted three times already he still seems stubborn to get it.
yesterday when I was driving back to san anto from cheapside. A huge windy downpour caught us naturally we had to slow down. To compensate the wind hitting out bed (end dump) every one was doing 45-50 some were pulling over. Then out of nowhere you see an
OTR driver hauling a box trailer doing the speed limit. A few miles later we see that idiot on the side of the road jacknived. The good thing is no one was around them. I've driven a box truck before and with a high center of gravity makes it very vulnerable to tipping over at the right wind angle and speed.

Maybe HTX means a light drizzle rain where in that case it depends on the condition. But whoever thinks drivers are required to do the speed limit on a highway is ridiculously full of crap! The minimum speed on a highway is 45mph, the limit is 65-80. Whatever is posted means that is unlawful to exceed that speed not a requirement. Maybe some of you should of actually review the drivers handbook and browse over the transportation code,instead of letting your parents sign your license off. It's never too late to do so....
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Svg, I was in that same storm and I had to pull off the road as well. I am talking about people driving slower than the traffic around them. In a situation like yesterday when everyone is having to slow down then you are no longer "that Guy"

I'm kinda thinking you guys are not on the same page as me. Because you keep to referring to everyone slowing down and I keep referring to instances where only one person is driving slow.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HTX
Svg, I was in that same storm and I had to pull off the road as well. I am talking about people driving slower than the traffic around them. In a situation like yesterday when everyone is having to slow down then you are no longer "that Guy"

I'm kinda thinking you guys are not on the same page as me. Because you keep to referring to everyone slowing down and I keep referring to instances where only one person is driving slow.
Yeah I thought so as well bro, sometimes misinterpretation can lead to this rambling, anyhow no hard feelings man. But I do get where you're coming from with stupid drivers, they are the reason I had to install train horns on my rig. But honestly I've been driving for a living since I was 18. And I've seen just about everything.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Here in North Ft. Worth around Beach street and further east towards watauga and NRH it's just as bad..

ALTHOUGH, I agree that some people don't understand that you CAN be pulled over for driving the speed limit in inclement weather. Awhile back when I was working for Discount Tire, it was really foggy that morning. Very foggy. I was off, but I had to go in at 7am for a safety meeting. On my way back going 45 in a 45 zone, I was in the middle lane and the light turned from red to green in front of me. A good distance. And this guy was coming up to the light. I get closer and he suddenly slams on his brakes right before the intersection (I'm guessing he wasnt paying attention and the red lights of the other side of the intersection gleamed off the fog into the corner of his eye) and I was forced to swerve around him, doing the speed limit, like 20 feet from the intersection. I even used my blinker. Well, unbeknownst to me, a police officer was sitting in the right lane to my right at the intersection. He pulled me over and ticketed me for inspection out (This happened on the 2nd day of the month and it expired the month before. Two days.) I was also ticketed for Unsafe Speed. His theory was according to the inclement weather (fog) I should have been going slower. He didn't clock me, but didn't want to listen to my side. As I was telling him I had cruise control on and the guy slammed on his brakes. the cop keeps trying to interrupt me. I just continue telling the whole story. He won't budge, so I am forced to take the ticket. I even tried to explain to him I am from Pennsylvania, so driving in fog is perfectly fine for me. I never have problems.

So don't think if it's raining all to hell and you are swerving in and out of traffic, you can't get a ticket.

I just realized I just joined the forum, and haven't introduced myself in a thread. I'll do that later.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Some rainstorms are different than others... if it's been raining lightly all day, driving the speed limit shouldn't be a problem. If it's a torrential downpour, that's completely different.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

i cruise about 10-15 under the speed limit and in left lane during bad storms and leave it one gear higher than normal so i dont get to much torque and break loose accelerating
Old 05-13-2011, 04:02 PM
***Repost Police***

... but why in the passing lane?
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
... but why in the passing lane?

Water collects on the right side of the road.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
***Repost Police***

Guess it depends where you live. Don't have that problem around here. Actually, on parts of I-35 in Lewisville the whole damn freeway floods
Old 05-13-2011, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

yup sorry ment right lane but yeah around here right lane is usually flooded so center or left while in town on right on highway
Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX

no, i understand exactly what you're saying, and i'm saying you're wrong. it doesn't matter how many people are driving slower than the posted limit.

if someone is on the highway in the rain, and they are going slower than everyone else because their speed is what they feel is the maximum safe speed they can do, that doesn't mean they have to exit the highway because self-centered jerks like you don't like it. again, it's upon you to slow down to whatever conditions you may encounter, regardless if it's one person going slower, or everyone going slower.

your argument that one or two people going slower than the posted limit in the rain is causing a dangerous condition, just because you're worried about having to swerve to miss them is extremely flimsy. if you can't see them well enough in advance to avoid hitting them, then you are driving too fast FOR THE CONDITIONS, regardless of the posted speed. period.

now, if they were doing this in the far left hand lane (i.e., the "fast lane") when there are other lanes available, you have more of a valid concern....because in the state of TX, slower drivers are supposed to drive in the right-hand lane, or as close to the right-hand lane as is possible at the time.

but i'd really love to see your face if you were to rear-end someone because "they weren't going the speed limit", and you use that as your defense in court....the judge will laugh in your face, tell you that you were driving too fast for the conditions, and order you to pay the damages. i guarantee it.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

yup ive seen ppl pulled over for hauling *** in the rain and the cop is gonna be really pissy cause he has to stand in it
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

no, i understand exactly what you're saying, and i'm saying you're wrong. it doesn't matter how many people are driving slower than the posted limit.

if someone is on the highway in the rain, and they are going slower than everyone else because their speed is what they feel is the maximum safe speed they can do, that doesn't mean they have to exit the highway because self-centered jerks like you don't like it. again, it's upon you to slow down to whatever conditions you may encounter, regardless if it's one person going slower, or everyone going slower.

your argument that one or two people going slower than the posted limit in the rain is causing a dangerous condition, just because you're worried about having to swerve to miss them is extremely flimsy. if you can't see them well enough in advance to avoid hitting them, then you are driving too fast FOR THE CONDITIONS, regardless of the posted speed. period.

now, if they were doing this in the far left hand lane (i.e., the "fast lane") when there are other lanes available, you have more of a valid concern....because in the state of TX, slower drivers are supposed to drive in the right-hand lane, or as close to the right-hand lane as is possible at the time.

but i'd really love to see your face if you were to rear-end someone because "they weren't going the speed limit", and you use that as your defense in court....the judge will laugh in your face, tell you that you were driving too fast for the conditions, and order you to pay the damages. i guarantee it.
Uh hu
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by DarknessHunter
yup ive seen ppl pulled over for hauling *** in the rain and the cop is gonna be really pissy cause he has to stand in it
PROTIP:
If you are ever pulled over in the rain, pull under some cover and apologize to the police officer for the long wait, that you were trying to find some cover to pull under. He will appreciate it.

HTX, some people are just to ignorant to consider what they say is wrong. There's no point in trying to convince him. Like all ignorant people before him, he will learn sooner or later the hard way.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HTX
Texas state law states that the left lane is for passing only... so you are wrong my friend.
I don't care about that law anyways, I pick the laws I like and go by them.

By the way I was just f ing around with my post. I mostly cruz in the lane left of the far right lane that way people are free to go around. I don't need to speed down the highway to save 2 seconds. Ever notice when some dumbshit flies by you and then you pass them while the are taking the next exit.