Any Corrections Officers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Corrections Officers on here?

I am having issues with unsolicited mail from an inmate, and I 'd like some info on how best to handle it.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my best friends is a correctional officer. I will ask him for you and get back with you. Wouldn't happen to be from Rosharon would it?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a CO for a juvenile facility for 2 1/2 years. I never really came across this problem, is the mail coming to your residence or at the facility?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll be starting at TDCJ next week. You can probably get him some free world harassment charges. Go make a report at your local PD.

*edit. If you're getting mail at your residence, how would the inmate get your address?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mail is coming to our address, written like the inmate knows the addressee, talking about mutual acquaintances, etc. None of the other names mentioned are familiar, and the inmate is way off base. I can't tell whether it is an honest case of mistaken identity, or some sort of phishing scam. We do know the inmate is real, and what he is in for. The letters are friendly, and in no way threatening. We just want them to stop, and not sure the best way to go about it.

They are coming from Central, down in Sugarland. No idea how they got our name, but I am sure we arte listed in the phone book, etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Whats he in for?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

i used to live a few blocks from central
Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

you need to contact the central unit mailroom supervisor. i forget what they call it but there is some notation that is made on the offender's records where any other mail he may try to mail out will be denied and returned to him. in addition, you can ask to talk to a captain, major, or warden to notify them of such and request they talk to him to stop to writing to your address. be prepared to present any information about him you already knew of him prior to this and whatever other information you have found out afterwards.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

if letters arnt threatening just write him back say sorry dude wrong person and let it be, but if he keeps writing after you ask to stop then take it further no sense in getting dude in trouble for a mistake.

sorry my ex inmate side coming out but come on guys deal with enough bs in there no use makin **** worse over a mistake well another mistake.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DarknessHunter
if letters arnt threatening just write him back say sorry dude wrong person and let it be, but if he keeps writing after you ask to stop then take it further no sense in getting dude in trouble for a mistake.

sorry my ex inmate side coming out but come on guys deal with enough bs in there no use makin **** worse over a mistake well another mistake.
Yea sounds like that'd be the best thing to do, no need to go ape **** on the guy right off the bat. Chances are he'll stop once he knows it's the wrong person.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it is an honest mistake, I don't want to cause him any issues, but if it is some sort of scam, then I don't want to have any contact with him at all.

He is in for manslaughter or murder, can't remember .. looked about 6 months ago. this is the third letter we have received in about 14 months ..
Old 05-18-2011, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

if multi letters over that long of time then i doubt scam has he asked you for any money or favors, and big big big difference in manslaughter and murder. murder=ment to kill them manslaughter = accidentally killed them

ive been a long term resident of tdc did a year in state for unauthorized use of motor vehicle when i was 18 so i know how lonely it gets he probably thinks your an old friend and just writing you out of bordom

Last edited by DarknessHunter; 05-18-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, if you get him in trouble, he knows where you live, that is obviously established. Not to mention he has a lot of time to think about getting back at you, but hey, that's only if he's the type to hold a grudge right? So was it murder or man slaughter you said? Might want to include some stamps so he can write the correct person. Stamps like $.44, not pissing off some murderous monster seems well worth the price of a couple stamps.

DarknessHunter,

You see any one get stabbed? I worked with a guy who did time in Mississippi's State pen, Parchman farm, he was a huge big guy but he said he saw a lot of folks get cut.

Last edited by BizZzatch350; 05-18-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Veteran

ive been a long term resident of tdc did a year in state for unauthorized use of motor vehicle when i was 18 so i know how lonely it gets he probably thinks your an old friend and just writing you out of bordom
A buddy of mine did a year for the same thing.

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
DarknessHunter,

You see any one get stabbed? I worked with a guy who did time in Mississippi's State pen, Parchman farm, he was a huge big guy but he said he saw a lot of folks get cut.
Pretty sure my buddy had to stab somebody, he had to join the AB since the place he was at was like 90% black. He got his lightning bolts, said he had to earn those. From reading around a little, you get those by stabbing somebody.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

i worked 4 1/2 years at the super seg in Amarillo. You need to contact your immediate supervisor and let him know the situation. If you don't and they find out, you could be looking at loosing your job. It is you responsability to notify them.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by need4fun2469
i worked 4 1/2 years at the super seg in Amarillo. You need to contact your immediate supervisor and let him know the situation. If you don't and they find out, you could be looking at loosing your job. It is you responsability to notify them.
This is true. I forgot about that. Just like if someone you know/knew gets sent to your unit. You have to notify your supervisor and get it documented.

Off topic, but I'm hoping I get put in seg at the unit I'm going to work at. Being a LEO and working in the prison is more dangerous than being a regular civilian.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

i didnt see any stabbings but alot of locks in socks and curb stomps a few ppl were life flighted
Old 05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I am with TDCJ, just contact the facility and request to speak with the highest ranking supervisor or administration available and from there they will advise you on what to do and if it is a possibility of being a real issue they will get the OIG involved to further investigate.

If it is a mistake, it will go no further for the offender, but the sooner you contact a supervisor or administrative official, the better.

The offenders have nothing to do all day but try to get over on employees/people and each other, so the possibility of there being a scam or other legal wronging is highly possible.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I am with TDCJ, just contact the facility and request to speak with the highest ranking supervisor or administration available and from there they will advise you on what to do and if it is a possibility of being a real issue they will get the OIG involved to further investigate.

but the sooner you contact a supervisor or administrative official, the better.

The offenders have nothing to do all day but try to get over on employees/people and each other, so the possibility of there being a scam or other legal wronging is highly possible.

perfect advice.

what this might actually be is what we call a "boomerang". one inmate sends out a letter to a made up or randomn address. he then puts another inmates return address on the letter and not his own. so when the letter is sent back it goes to another inmate that he is not allowed to contact whom he put the return address to.. thus the letter is received by this inmate in a fashion that looks legit to the correctional facility as it passes thru the inmate correspondance mail room. its one of the few tricks that they do. ive seen it many times as a CO. i hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS

If it is a mistake, it will go no further for the offender, but the sooner you contact a supervisor or administrative official, the better.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks.