calculating asvab scores?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default calculating asvab scores?

i took a practice test and i was curious as to how to interpret the results. i read that the practice test is not as accurate as the real deal, but i just wanted to get an idea. (2VE)+MK+AR seems to be the formula, and if i understand this right, to calculate VE you add the WK and PC scores. so you take that number, multiply by two and then add the percentile for the MK and AR sections? anyone know if this is correct?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

y does it matter honestly?? not trying to sound like a dick.

practice asvab means squat

if u pass they will take u to meps if not then they make u study
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

go online take the practice test and will give you a score
Old 05-20-2011, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

oh and 99 is max score
Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah the practice test is just what it is practice, when you take the actual test they will give you an "overall" score which is basically what tells you if you can enter the service or not. It takes almost a week to get all the official scores that is divided into the 3-4 different areas such as Mechanical, Electrical, General...etc..etc.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

i know it doesnt really matter. its just a matter of personal curiosity. been thinking about the service and figured i'd see what the test is like. turns out its kinda like the sat and then some. understanding that this test was but a test, i was wondering how well i did on said test based on the uncorrected percentiles and wanted to make sure that what i described above was accurate as far as grading the basic sections on the test. i took a "full" practice test with the mechanical, electronics, assembling objects, etc. but those dont seem to be a factor for just the basic score i guess.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

ok, i think i answered my own question. apparently theres a separate chart for calculating the VE score. pretty sure i have it right now. thanks for the replies
Old 05-20-2011, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

my lowest score on any section was 132 got a 140 on most sections food was my lowest i got a 96 over all the last time i took it and a perfect 99 the previous 5 times
Old 05-21-2011, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASVAB is good for 2 years at a shot. Taking the test over and over will do nothing for you. If you're in the 60+ range, not much reason to retake it unless you're looking for a specialty field such as Nuclear Field. . .(Navy only)
Old 05-21-2011, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Duffster
The ASVAB is good for 2 years at a shot. Taking the test over and over will do nothing for you. If you're in the 60+ range, not much reason to retake it unless you're looking for a specialty field such as Nuclear Field. . .(Navy only)
oddly enough thats one of the things i was looking at. im about to graduate from UTA with a political science degree and a minor in German. was considering the military for a few reasons, including picking up a more marketable skill i could use later on in life. anyways with this practice asvab, i managed a 27/35 WK, 15/15 PC, 22/25 MK, and 27/30 AR. there must be something else with the equation because when i work it out, it gives me a terrible score. i remember reading something about weighted scores and other **** so i dunno.

i understand this test was far from accurate, i'd probably score quite a bit less on the real deal. i didnt time myself or anything, just took it while watching family guy reruns on adult swim lol. think it took around an hour and a half to two hours total for 2XX questions. not to mention there was 0 pressure that the real test would obviously carry with it. like i said, was just curious to see what it was like and how well i could do. i'll likely take the real test when i get closer to graduating. i pm'd "go home" for a practice test that he could possibly email or something, but havent gotten a response yet. had to take one off of "military.com" and sign up and ****. and they're already spamming my email
Old 05-21-2011, 03:15 AM
9 Second Club

dont stress over it, it was easy. i think i got a 95 on it and i dont study at all or really prepare.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Im a recruiter in san antonio. (Marines)not tryin to make u go in or anything, but, tge recruiters can tell u what ur score is. Just take the test with them. Theyll grade it on the spot and should explain what the score means. If u pass theyll set u up to take the real test. Which in san antonio ull get ur results as soon as ur done.... not in a few days or anything. If u got any questions u can pm me
Old 05-21-2011, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gotcam?
Which in san antonio ull get ur results as soon as ur done.... not in a few days or anything.
Any recruiter from any branch can set up the ASVAB at MEPS for you and typically you'll get the results when you walk out of the test room. Most sites are now set-up for computer testing. Some still use paper exams. The paper exam takes longer to take and to grade, so it could be 20 or 30 minutes.

GL
Old 05-21-2011, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

ive done it a few times cause of military school and other reasons over the past 12 yrs my last one was computer and i only had like 3 hrs of sleep and didnt study at all, i didnt even know i was going to it recruiter showed up at my place and told me to get dressed
Old 05-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

If you're not an idiot you'll do fine. The practice tests agent accurate, I just went in and took the test and got a 93 so I'm sure you'll fine since you've been in school.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
i took a practice test and i was curious as to how to interpret the results. i read that the practice test is not as accurate as the real deal, but i just wanted to get an idea. (2VE)+MK+AR seems to be the formula, and if i understand this right, to calculate VE you add the WK and PC scores. so you take that number, multiply by two and then add the percentile for the MK and AR sections? anyone know if this is correct?
You can not calculate what your AFQT will be just from looking at the raw line scores. Generally, as recruiters, we like to see in the low to mid 50's for each line score for someone to do alright.

You are close with your calculation, but after the number is calculated, it is put into a scale to see what your percentile is. You can not begin to try and figure it out unless you know the scale and where the numbers are on it.

edit: i wanted to add that the final numbers you see on your test results are not what is actually used to calculate your AFQT percentile. They are a close comparison (as in the higher you do, the better), but you won't be able to get your percentile score with them.

Here is a good explanation from about.com:
Only four areas of the ASVAB test are used to compute the overall ASVAB score, also known as the AFQT (Armed Forces Qualification Test) score.

The four areas of the ASVAB used to compute the AFQT score are: Word Knowledge (WK), Paragraph Comprehension (PC), Arithmatic Reasoning (AR), and Mathmatics Knowledge (MK).

To determine the AFQT "raw score," first you have to compute your Verbal Expression (VE) score:

VE (Verbal Expression) = Scaled Score of WK+PC. To get the VE scaled score, add your Word Knowledge (WK) & Paragraph Comprehension (PC) score together, then use the below chart:

WK+PC VE Score WK+PC VE Score
0-3 20 28-29 42
4-5 21 30-31 44
6-7 22 32-33 45
8-9 22 34-35 47
10-11 25 36-37 49
12-13 27 38-39 50
14-15 29 40-41 52
16-17 31 42-43 54
18-19 32 44-45 56
20-21 34 46-47 58
22-23 36 48-49 60
24-25 38 50 62
26-27 40

The Overall ASVAB Score (AFQT Score) is a "percentile score."

The AFQT Raw Score is computed with the formula AFQT = 2VE + AR + MK.

You can't use the AR and MK score shown on your ASVAB Score Sheet. The Score Sheet shows "number correct" for your AR and MK Scores, because "number correct" is what is used for job qualifications. However, the military does not use this same score when computing the AFQT. They use the "weighted scores" of the ASVAB sub-tests for AR and MK. Harder questions in these areas get more points than easier questions. The "weighted scores" for AR and WK are not listed on the ASVAB score sheet given to you after the test, and I know of no way to retrieve that information from DOD.

Last edited by 99FormulaM6; 05-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

^^ that makes alot of sense. i found out how to calculate VE using that chart and everything and then i wasnt sure if i was supposed to add the number correct ( which gave a very low score) or the percentile score which gave a very high score using the percentile chart. i guess theres really no way to get an accurate asvab score. thanks again for the replies!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

You should do fine, I went in and took it after being told I was taking it three hours earlier and scored a 94. It was cake.

Quick Reply: calculating asvab scores?