How do I use an AC recharge kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 DUKE'Z 28
Sry to hijack Josh!!!

But no, I did not oil the compressor. I just did the same as when Inspector12(jeff) helped me replace my last one. This was my first solo attack on it. If there is leak I prob just need new line? Thanks for all help. And Josh, it's super easy to charge. Like they said and can shows <---not bein smart *** lol
Without seeing its hard to say if the compressor is damaged or not by not adding oil to it before installation.Were now orings installed aswell?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8urls1
Without seeing its hard to say if the compressor is damaged or not by not adding oil to it before installation.Were now orings installed aswell?
Well the compressor works great, clutch engages, no squealing or such. I replaced all o-rings last summer along with orifice tube.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Well the compressor works great, clutch engages, no squealing or such. I replaced all o-rings last summer along with orifice tube.
Thats good news than.The next step would be to run down to autozone and grab a can with the die in it.Cause if it all leaked out in a couple days then its a good sized leak that would definitely show up with dye
Old 06-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thats good news than.The next step would be to run down to autozone and grab a can with the die in it.Cause if it all leaked out in a couple days then its a good sized leak that would definitely show up with dye
Leaked out overnight
Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leaked out overnight
if you're still in sm I know a guy that rebuilds compressors for about 100
Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Teching In

check the condenser for a small hole that was probably caused by a rock, you also need to pull a vacuum before recharging the system if you want it to work correctly.

the area that i suspect should look like this
Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaysan
if you're still in sm I know a guy that rebuilds compressors for about 100
I just bought this compressor...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Most recharge cans have UV dye so you can *MAYBE* see where it's leaking.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Rule #1 when working on any AC system.... You must pull a vaccum on it or what you just did is pointless. If there is a leak, you will know it as it wont hold a steady pressure. It also aids in removing all moisture (moisture is bad m'kay) from the system as well as helps making sure that a full charge is taken in. My bet is that you didnt get a full charge (even if you felt cold air blowing as you were doing it).
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DSIM
Rule #1 when working on any AC system.... You must pull a vaccum on it or what you just did is pointless. If there is a leak, you will know it as it wont hold a steady pressure. It also aids in removing all moisture (moisture is bad m'kay) from the system as well as helps making sure that a full charge is taken in. My bet is that you didnt get a full charge (even if you felt cold air blowing as you were doing it).
So. Vaccum the line? With a vacuum cleaner? I'm not being smart, I've just never done this and people are vague when going over this procedure. Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

So. Vaccum the line? With a vacuum cleaner? I'm not being smart, I've just never done this and people are vague when going over this procedure. Thanks

Just hook up your mom's dyson vacuum cleaner to it

Just jokin.
You will need to take it to someone that has a vacuum pump,or you can buy one at a pawnshop for cheap
Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Y'all should really listen to this guy! AC work needs to be done correct the first time or you are going to continue to have parts go bad. Go to a shop that performs AC work and ask for a EVAC and recharge. They will put dye in the system at that time so if it is to leak out they can find your problem. Sometimes its better to leave it to the people with the correct equipment!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Shoot, just run a line to a vacuum port on another car. Boom, instant vacuum!
Old 06-17-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Veteran

I can't count the number of times I've had to recover, vacuum, and recharge a/c systems. Run a vacuum for as long as you possibly can. I always set the machine on 99 minutes since that's as high as it'd let me go. If you're not pegging out the gauge on vacuum or pretty damn close to it, chances are good you have a small leak somewhere as long as the vacuum pump is working right.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Teching In

or you can buy one at a pawnshop for cheap
nga pawn shops try to tax on a 15 year old robinair vacuum pump
Old 06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pep boys can vacuum it out
Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some good advice in here. Always find the problem first by either a dye in the system or a vacuum check
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by irbs
Y'all should really listen to this guy! AC work needs to be done correct the first time or you are going to continue to have parts go bad. Go to a shop that performs AC work and ask for a EVAC and recharge. They will put dye in the system at that time so if it is to leak out they can find your problem. Sometimes its better to leave it to the people with the correct equipment!
Originally Posted by LS69TA
I can't count the number of times I've had to recover, vacuum, and recharge a/c systems. Run a vacuum for as long as you possibly can. I always set the machine on 99 minutes since that's as high as it'd let me go. If you're not pegging out the gauge on vacuum or pretty damn close to it, chances are good you have a small leak somewhere as long as the vacuum pump is working right.
bang!!! some pretty legit advice there.^

you don't necessarily need to run the vacuum for 99 minutes, all you have to do is peg the vacuum gauge to almost 30in. Almost the perfect vacuum because you won't be able to get the perfect vacuum.

Quick Reply: How do I use an AC recharge kit?