Need some info from a cop or someone who knows

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I am trying to ask is, if the OP was just crusin in the left lane and (unless he was passing other traffic) even though he was doing 70mph in a 60mph area, he still needs to stay in the right lane unless he is passing slower traffic. So if the cop was doing 80mph and the OP was just hanging out in the left lane, the cop had every right to ride the OP *** if he was just chilling like a idiot in the fast lane or passing lane or left lane or what ever you call it lol and not passing traffic, thus impeding traffic.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

"But Officer I like donuts too, lets go grab a dozen and call it even!"
Old 06-18-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OneBadZ0Sick
What I am trying to ask is, if the OP was just crusin in the left lane and (unless he was passing other traffic) even though he was doing 70mph in a 60mph area, he still needs to stay in the right lane unless he is passing slower traffic. So if the cop was doing 80mph and the OP was just hanging out in the left lane, the cop had every right to ride the OP *** if he was just chilling like a idiot in the fast lane or passing lane or left lane or what ever you call it lol and not passing traffic, thus impeding traffic.
If the speed limit is 60 it does not give the cop the right to do 80 even if it is in the passing lane.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i understand, a cop thats in a uniform cant drive their personal vehicles while wearing the uniform, i dont know how that happend
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
If the speed limit is 60 it does not give the cop the right to do 80 even if it is in the passing lane.
It does not work like that. You and no one else on the road are cops the only people that can enforce the law legally are real cops. If your not passing stay to the right it does not matter what you think is just. If I want to do 80mph on the hwy you and no one else can stop me it is the law enforments job to deal with speeders. So just stay to the right and everyone will be happy.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Only one lane per direction where I was
Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 59 camaro
from what i understand, a cop thats in a uniform cant drive their personal vehicles while wearing the uniform, i dont know how that happend
Not true at all......sorry,,...
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stewdy1
Only one lane per direction where I was
This explains a lot. I think not letting somebody pass on a one lane road would **** anybody off.

But yea, I think he was just trying to teach you a lesson.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Teching In

If it is not stated that the left lane is for passing only, then there is nothing they can do. Out here in el paso, on i10, it does not state it. So yea, you could be doing 45 in the left lane and not even a cop could say anything about it.

We do have another highway called the loop and it does state it.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Banned

OP should have still got over to let the faster traffic pass no matter how much "HE" was going over the limit. In the end of the day if people would learn how to drive all of this could have been avoided.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I drive like every other car could be a cop car, because it could be. If they get close, and you have the ability, pull over. If they want to speed to pass, let them. Maybe they'll get stopped. Maybe they won't. Why would you care? Stop driving angry and just get where you're going. It isn't your job to stop others from passing or to punish their poor driving habits. If an officer had seen you speeding for the purpose of preventing another from passing, you could have been arrested. Let others drive recklessly. You should be concerned with how you're driving and what you can do to avoid a collision, not trying your best to cause a collision. Grow up.

Originally Posted by epglxspooky
You do not even have to give them an excuse. In drivers ed. they will tell you to do that, as well it is on the test. When someone is that close, you have every right to smack the brakes a little.
That is absolutely 100% WRONG! Not only do you not have the "right" to brake check someone, you have a duty to take action to avoid a collision. It never has been and never will be on a state driving test, and if a driver ed teacher is teaching that, they should be beaten. Maybe that's why so many people are such horrible drivers.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Teching In

If it is not stated that the left lane is for passing only, then there is nothing they can do. Out here in el paso, on i10, it does not state it. So yea, you could be doing 45 in the left lane and not even a cop could say anything about it.

We do have another highway called the loop and it does state it.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the double. Phone acting screwy and I can not edit or delete the previous.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the OP was overly sensitive about someone trying to pass him. So he gets up on your *** because he is going faster than you and wants to pass you. What is there to be pissy about? Let the dude pass you.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Well he has your DL info..probably just wanted to scare the **** out of you, or to stop by later and play 'just the tip'...
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MY06TBSS
Not true at all......sorry,,...
my girls ex is a cop and we were just talking about this last week, she said that they are NOT allowed to drive a personal car while they are on uniform bcus of their safety
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Resident

my girls ex is a cop and we were just talking about this last week, she said that they are NOT allowed to drive a personal car while they are on uniform bcus of their safety

I am sure policies differ from dept to dept...I have never seen a law stating they can't drive a personal vehicle though. Some PDs will not let an officer take a car home if they x miles from the station, if at all. That means a lot of officers could be driving to or from work in personal vehicles while in uniform.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

I am a retired state of tx peace officer...(shot in the line of duty) and I drove my personel vehicle to and from work every day for 13 yrs in uniform....along with every one of my coworkers.....not in tx that is not a law...
Old 06-18-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
An officer is still an officer 24hrs a days whether on duty or off. If he wasn't in a car and didn't turn the lights on then you had no idea of knowing. I assume he is messing with you to a point.
Yep, 24/7. Most that I know aren't going to mess with anyone off duty unless they're REALLY asking for it though.

How else are we supposed to get to the station?

That is pretty much stupid of them. I guess they don't think an officer can be shot while in a MARKED patrol car, sticking out like a sore thumb. If somebody wants to shoot a police officer randomly, I'd figure the odds would be better of finding one in a black & white. Does the dept. give them time to change in/out of uniform on the clock?

Last edited by LS69TA; 06-18-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Well he has your DL info..probably just wanted to scare the **** out of you, or to stop by later and play 'just the tip'...
Lol

Similar scenario happened to me. Long story short, a cop, in his personal ride was driving like a complete *******. Broke several traffic laws. I'm no expert, but I would imagine it could be classified as reckless. I had no idea he was a cop. I ended up hauling *** by him @ 115. This was in my DD at around 5:30 am. He got pissed and kept shining a light in my rear view mirror. Then got next to me and shined this light in my eyes. Blinding me each time for a few secs. Finally I saw he was a cop. At first I got a little scared, that progessed to pretty pissed. My exit was coming up, so I threw the prickfuck the bird as hard as I could. I know the guy got my plates. Nothing ever happened. I hope he died in a grease fire.

My advice, someone ever drives crazy like that around you. Then follows you, cuts you off making you stop and approaches your vehicle, don't ever stick around to talk. Could give a **** if he looks like the POTUS. Too many crazy ******** out there these days.