The absolute dumbest thing I ever did...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011 | 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

My buddy did this and lost it at about 65 mph. Flew over 3 cars on the road behind him and landed in the grass beside the road, completely undamaged
Old 07-18-2011 | 10:32 PM
9 Second Club

FYI go back and get the remains of the old one. and salvage the key cylinder out of it. its easy to swap out and chances are it isnt messed up.
Old 07-18-2011 | 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Mine are always latched, but never locked.. A few times while driving my kids would grab the latch as ask what it was for.. I was like, "NOOOOO, don't touch that!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 07-18-2011 | 11:19 PM
Teching In

I had a ttop hit me in the head while test driving a car. The guy just cleaned it and didn't latch the top. Very scary at 70mph!
Old 07-19-2011 | 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by v8sten
FYI go back and get the remains of the old one. and salvage the key cylinder out of it. its easy to swap out and chances are it isnt messed up.
I did exactly that but in total disgust..... then I proceeded to kick the **** out of the shattered broken glass on the street into the grass.... I felt a little better but still disappointed. Then I had to tell the wife, I dont know what was worse, my hard feelings hurt or the look on her face that I was a complete idiot for not latching it down. Pisses me off to give her ammunition to bring it up later in some redick argument we are going to have 6 months down the road. These bitches never forget the dumb **** we do....
Old 07-19-2011 | 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

^I have a spare set if you need another T-top PM me...really cheap
Old 07-19-2011 | 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your stories encourage me to always latch mine so this will never happen. Thanks
Old 07-19-2011 | 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast
15 Year Member

this is one club I dont want to join. Ive had my car 6 years or so and only been off 3-4 times
Old 07-25-2011 | 02:40 AM
Launching!

I never lost one yet,but i always try to remember to lock mine,my buddy had one come off his Camaro on I 45 he was racing but he got another real fast
Old 07-25-2011 | 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texas-Firehawk
I did exactly that but in total disgust..... then I proceeded to kick the **** out of the shattered broken glass on the street into the grass.... I felt a little better but still disappointed. Then I had to tell the wife, I dont know what was worse, my hard feelings hurt or the look on her face that I was a complete idiot for not latching it down. Pisses me off to give her ammunition to bring it up later in some redick argument we are going to have 6 months down the road. These bitches never forget the dumb **** we do....
Sorry bud, I hope you get one before C&C as you gonna be there right? Another arguement for why hardtops rule and ttops drool!!!!
Old 07-25-2011 | 07:39 AM
On The Tree

I never latch mine, lock mine or anything and they never fly off..

But I do have a hardtop
Old 07-25-2011 | 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Sorry bud, I hope you get one before C&C as you gonna be there right? Another arguement for why hardtops rule and ttops drool!!!!
I got it for 77.99 shipped thru Ebay and I got it last Thursday. Great condition and off a 2002 Camaro so not a problem.
I will be at C&C this time and will meet you all at S-Bucks.

Finally, all done but the A/C.... what about your electrical issue... is that solved?
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:24 AM
Launching!

That sucks,but glad to see you got it fixed already. I usually have the worst luck,but with all the T-Tops I have owned I am happy to say I can't join y'all's club. (YET) {knocking on wood}
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Default dont forget to lock the top!

I did this today, been working on the interior of my car all weekend so I was getting in and out of the car a few/twenty times today because my stereo was messing up. So I am all done and decide to go for a quick speed test and so I am going down the road and all of the sudden whooooosh.... the sun is beating down on me.

Word to the wise: T-tops grow wings at about 60mph.

****Remember to always lock you T-Tops****

BTY: I know your gonna laugh/hate and I am beating my self up about it already. I am just glad it didn't fly off and hit the back deck and smash my rear glass or air fin.
I have had cars with T-Tops since 1991 and this is the first time ever for me. Only good thing is that I found one on ebay for 75.00 in good condition and it will be on the way tomorrow.
your not the only one bro! just had my driver one come off at about 120mph! i was racing my buddys FOX when all of a sudden i heard a loud zip noise, looked about 50ft in the air and my t-top was floating and crashed into the gaurd rail! im lucky noody was behind us but i never seen something that heavy fly that fast lol got one pretty much brand new for 77 bucks at this camaro salvage yard here in ohio. i forgot to lock the handle after i cleaned it that day its funny now that i know i dont have to pay 1200 from GM! i feel your pain!
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lost mine driving down 59 doing about 60. Flew 20 feet in the air and landed on the shoulder. I was able to circle back and get the shade though.
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Randal McSandal
I never latch mine, lock mine or anything and they never fly off..

But I do have a hardtop
funny... had me for a sec.
another reason for me to get a hardtop, and they look better
Old 07-25-2011 | 10:44 AM
On The Tree

well as i looked for mine on I176 (Cleveland) i found mine wrapped around the gaurd rail post so i picked it up and threw it and screamed for about a quarter second, but then i found a dollar in the grass lol and then proceeded to kick myself in the ***, also we never forget the dumb **** they do too!
Old 07-26-2011 | 09:21 AM
Teching In

WTF!! I've owned 5 T-top camaros and have never used a key to lock them. I never knew you could. Of course I always latch them. I just went out to my 02 and was able to lock them with my key. Learn something new every day.