Whats the best diesels you would but right now?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

My 2005 Duramax has been a hell of a truck. Not one problem for 90k miles. It has had a chip, intake and exhaust it's whole life...
Old 08-03-2011 | 12:21 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I just hate the aesthetics of the dodges, nothing wrong with the drivetrain. 06 and newer Dmax and you will find it hard to complain about anything, the fords look the best imo when you're talking 08+ but the 6.4 is hit or miss. They all run much better without the emissions bs and get close to the same mileage. So it all pretty much comes down to what you like. I had an 06 lbz and loved it, no problems with it when I sold it with 115k on the clock. Next time I think I may try my hand at a 6.4 Ford just because I like how they look, can fit 35s easily with a leveling kit and have a lot more interior room than the Dmax. If gm would go sfa and a real size crew cab then it would be an easy decision...
Old 08-03-2011 | 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a lifted 6.0 f250 and a ram 3500 6spd. The f250 is a great truck but a lifted one eats through ball joints. They ride great(mine doesn't because of the cheap lift), pull great, decent highway mpg's, most room of any truck and is pretty quick with a tuner. Anywhere from 9 to 13 city mpg and 17-19 highway.

The 3500 5.9 gets 20+ city, 25 highway with 4:11 gears. Rides so much better than my ford, handles great, no room in the back seat, fast as **** with a tuner and will last forever. With the tuner it will break the tires loose from a 40 roll and stomp imports. It hangs with camaros also, oh and the turn radius is so much better than a ford.

All 3 trucks are great, drive all 3 brands and pick what you like. And don't believe all the nutswinging duramax/Allison BS.
Old 08-03-2011 | 01:00 PM
Launching!

Cummins all the way when it comes to a truck.
Old 08-03-2011 | 01:49 PM
Teching In

Love my lmm duramax and beat the hell out of it. I worked for a gm and chrysler dealership for 2 years and I cant even begin to tell you how my cummins from 5.9 to 6.7 were piled up waiting on turbos, motors etc. Occasionally we would get and older duramax in for injectors or water pump but nothing close to these pos cummins. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-03-2011 | 02:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bowtieguy72
Love my lmm duramax and beat the hell out of it. I worked for a gm and chrysler dealership for 2 years and I cant even begin to tell you how my cummins from 5.9 to 6.7 were piled up waiting on turbos, motors etc. Occasionally we would get and older duramax in for injectors or water pump but nothing close to these pos cummins. Just my 2 cents.
Pure ignorance.
Old 08-03-2011 | 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Pure ignorance.
+1

And I don't think the interior is really THAT bad on them, the black cloth is actually really nice, the 06+ tan sucks though.

If you need a truck to pull something the 3500 I have is up for sale.

Idk if it matters or not but I can leave my 6.0 on all night and it uses like a gallon or two while the dodge uses a lot more fuel if left on.
Old 08-03-2011 | 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a '11 3500 denalli and don't have any compliants... Runs awesome, very comfortable ride for a dually, A/C in the seats, and looks dead sexy.

Last edited by kickassT/A; 08-03-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2011 | 04:54 PM
On The Tree

One last thing. The 6.7 and 5.9 cummins are the same engine just bored out and with an egr/dpf plus def on the long haulers (chassis cabs & busses and such). Problem with the 6.7 is that the emissions stuff was not mature enough yet, but now it is all well done. We do a ton of research into this stuff and believe me....we get it right.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Anyone with turbo problems on 5.9 is an idiot and needs to keep the foot off the gas with tuner/chip. ( Sure I saw a guy go through 4 turbos once but he was 18 and floor's it at every stop-sign/stoplight )

I have well over 150k on my truck stock EVERYTHING is stock right down to the intake.
I run Diablo Sport Predator with Power Puck both turned up to max settings and the only problem I have had so far was second gear band a little loose.

Trans has never been rebuilt ( Strange cause that's the weak point in dodge )

Anyway, no complains here. Don't talk **** about 5.9s unless you have owned one and didn't trash it.
Old 08-03-2011 | 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dually has 128k, most of it running hot shots.. Everything original down to the clutch.

Take care of your truck and it will take care of you. My friend has a duramax and has torn up so much **** on it.. I don't know how in the hell he did it but it needed an engine harness(wtf?) injectors, waterpump and various other ****. I'll admit it's held up well with him driving.
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
The dually has 128k, most of it running hot shots.. Everything original down to the clutch.

Take care of your truck and it will take care of you. My friend has a duramax and has torn up so much **** on it.. I don't know how in the hell he did it but it needed an engine harness(wtf?) injectors, waterpump and various other ****. I'll admit it's held up well with him driving.
Pratice what you preach... You say this then talk **** about a truck your friend has trashed. What do you expect?

I have a Duramax and it runs damn good for being stock. I don't even have a programmer on it.

I know you are trying to pump up the Fords because you have one for sale but don't talk **** about a brand when you have not personally owned one.

The Dodges are OK but ugly (IMO)
Ford, I did not care for the interior
Duramax is OK too but I like the Interior better

All 3 is going to have issues, you just need to find the one you like best and go with it. Take good care of it and not rag it out and it should last a long time.
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:16 PM
Teching In

I have an 05 Duramax with 136000 miles on it. Bought it new off the lot. If you want to pull a high drag load at 80 mph on a 100+ degree day, it will get warmer than usual. Unloaded, has no issues. The 04.5-05 LLY's also had injector wiring issues at #2 and #7, but the fix is pretty easy to do if you have an ice-pick.

I think the eventual power rating that the Duramax made, forced the other builders to keep up. I think the early Ford 6.0 and Dodge 6.7 platforms were rushed into production to keep up with the ratings the Duramax was set at. Both early builds has some heartache but have been refined and many issues were solved.

I think it was said best earlier to just go with whatever fits you best. Anything mechanical is going to have its problems, so even if you choose a truck that is highly rated and depended on, it could be the biggest piece of crap you have ever owned.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Pratice what you preach... You say this then talk **** about a truck your friend has trashed. What do you expect?

I have a Duramax and it runs damn good for being stock. I don't even have a programmer on it.

I know you are trying to pump up the Fords because you have one for sale but don't talk **** about a brand when you have not personally owned one.

The Dodges are OK but ugly (IMO)
Ford, I did not care for the interior
Duramax is OK too but I like the Interior better

All 3 is going to have issues, you just need to find the one you like best and go with it. Take good care of it and not rag it out and it should last a long time.
Umm I'm not talking ****, it's called "giving an example", as in if you don't take care of it that's what happens. I like Duramax's and I would have bought one if they weren't so overpriced but if anything my friends truck shows that they can take a beating.

I'm not pumping up Ford's at all just because I use to own one(it's sold), I'll straight up tell you that the Dodge is a much better truck in most ways, the main issue is it rides like a an old horse drawn carriage but that's really the cheap lift's fault. I have had my fun but I still took care of it and it treated me well. I've taken it to hell and back, I would buy another in a heart beat.

The Duramax is probably gonna be my next truck, it's between that or an 08+ F250. I love the interior of the 07+ GM trucks.
Old 08-03-2011 | 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
If you don't want to hassle with buying tuners and emissions delete kits, the 5.9L (early 2007 and OLDER) Dodge 5.9L engines are the best. They also hold their resale value the best, of any diesel. The older 7.3L Ford trucks are a close second. I use quite a few hotshot services in my industry, these drivers LOVE to get their hands on any 5.9L truck with less than 100K miles. I get asked quite often by strangers if I want to sell my '06 5.9L truck, but I've yet to find anything better to replace it with. I tried an '08 Duramax for less than a year, sold it and went back to this used '06 Dodge instead. I wish the newer diesel trucks were as good as the old ones, but they aren't - and they are far more expensive now too.

Thanks to the EPA newer trucks Suck, although I know you guys are talking about diesel pick up trucks. but I gotta get my two scents in about big rig diesels.

Cummins is the mid level engine for any owner operator, it has the perfect balance of power and efficiency, both of my trucks I have owned were Cummins powered my first was an N14 350m with a 525 fuel pump dialed up 2200ft lbs castrated with a 10spd fuller, and 4.11 gears, that truck pulled like a raped ape, but it was a terd on the hills. Now I got a Cummins N14E 500 and 1950ftlbs (dialed up from 1650) and doesn't pull as much as the mechanical engine during the bottom gears but once up top I haven't been out hauled especially on the hills . Plus it gives me 5-7mpg . A lot of newer engines like the ISx series have been castrated with either EGR or that other Regeneration crud they add to them.

CAT is almost out of business (for Highway engines) after their ACCERT line hit a wall. They added Bi Turbos but the second turbo is used for emissions purposes The big turbo feeds the small turbo and the rest of the oxygen-less charge goes into the engine. Dam those tree huggers! but most of the people I've worked with get rid of the Bi-Turbo set up. Then they add a 106mm and its a whole new story.

Cummins is the way to go for diesels. Although I've heard pretty good remarks about Fords older diesel engine.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:03 PM
Launching!

^I'm with you. I drive an 09 Peterbilt with a 485 Cummins ISx engine with the regenerate system on it, and that flat out ruined the motor. The ones prior to 08 ran great
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:06 PM
Launching!

I love my 99 f250 with the 7.3. 230,000 miles. Untouched motor except for the mods (exhaust, turbo impeller wheel, intake, intercooler) if i had to choose a new truck it would def be a 6.7 ford. killer trucks, dodge would be a close second, but the interior I'm not a big fan of though.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
^I'm with you. I drive an 09 Peterbilt with a 485 Cummins ISx engine with the regenerate system on it, and that flat out ruined the motor. The ones prior to 08 ran great
That's interesting to me. I've heard there was a ton of problems with the ISX, but now they are more rock solid (matured emissions). What I like about Cummins is that if there is a problem they will do whatever to fix it plus go beyond as much as possible. But I also heard that the N14 was their golden child back in the day. I've been told that they could run forever. But it's saying something when CAT can't even compete now and they're even going to come out with a class 8 truck with the maxxforce engine (navistar...). Such a waste. I can say due to the present outlook it's so so much better to be an engineer for Cummins than the others.

Also the emissions regulation may be really annoying, but it's here to stay. But the emissions doesn't mean Cummins engines are designed with less reliability and durability. It's the opposite. That's another big selling point for the isb. They may put them in ram trucks, but they are designed to be a multipurpose engine with much more stress applied to them and still keep the full reliability and durability.
Old 08-03-2011 | 08:56 PM
Teching In

I can give an honest OPINION on the fords and chevys. The only ford diesel that is reliable is the 7.3. You may be searching for a wiring problem every now and then but is a good motor. Change your oil often or you WILL be changing the high pressure oil pump. Easily a 400k motor if maintained. The trans on the other hand figure about every 120k with quality rebuilds.
6.0 powerstroke STAY AWAY! 9 of 10 are complete turds. I had one that made it 205k before it blew the headgaskets. I did have to replace the ficm around $1100 from ford. My boss has a f550 that completley ruined the motor from a cracked egr cooler. New motor 5k the experience dismantling the whole freakin truck to replace is an absolute nightmare. Delka diesel repairs shop is next to mine and eveyday you are guaranteed to see at least 3 6.0's in for repair.
6.4 just traded it in had it for 3k and was scared to death I was going to f it up. I mean seriously you cant leave your pickup idling for fear of to much fuel getting past the rings and washing your bearings. It was weak as hell and averaged 8 mpg with my little ole miller bobcat in back.
6.7 I have no experience with other than ford took the reigns from international. I am a member one a few powerstroke forums and have read of 3 complete failures under 5k. These are all honest facts and opinions on fords.
lly duramax I bought with 123k and never had a problem. Sold it to my boss at 140k and still pulling 1 ton loads in comfort and style. Its a 2500 btw. I have replaced the water pump and 1 injector its at 262k.
llm was a strong truck had the edge with juice and pulled my bosses f350 crew 4x4 50 miles without a downshift or struggle of any. Also pulled my bosses f550 single cab 4x4 flatbed 50 miles same exact out come. 162 degrees on the tranny temp. Both of these were on a 25gvw gooseneck. Mileage was around 12 to 13mpg. Got broke sold it.
Just traded in the 6.4 on a brand new lml dually. This truck feels awesome. it rides better then any of my srw 3/4 tons. Only has 880 miles but I am looking forward to hooking it to my 24k lb skytrack and 8k lb trailer. 400 hp and 765 ft lb of tourque stock!
Shopped the new dodge equal to my new one but luckily did some research. Same thing as the 6.4 fuel in the oil. Im pretty sure all of you guys that are on this sight knows that is not correct and will undoubtily cut the life span very short. It was hard to walk away from because it was offered to me 6k under my duramax.
5.9 come on everybody knows even the owners cummins supplied dodge with a unstopable motor. To bad dodge didnt offer the same in the rest of the truck.
I really cant beleive all the duramax haters on a gm site but you guys should really look into these motors. Gm has improved every single model since its intro in 2001. 10 years to be where its at is amazing. They are ahead in power and all the emiisions bull. To the op search the forums of the the types of trucks your intrested in the proof is at your finger tips on every model.
Old 08-03-2011 | 09:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00fastta
That's interesting to me. I've heard there was a ton of problems with the ISX, but now they are more rock solid (matured emissions). What I like about Cummins is that if there is a problem they will do whatever to fix it plus go beyond as much as possible. But I also heard that the N14 was their golden child back in the day. I've been told that they could run forever. But it's saying something when CAT can't even compete now and they're even going to come out with a class 8 truck with the maxxforce engine (navistar...). Such a waste. I can say due to the present outlook it's so so much better to be an engineer for Cummins than the others.

Also the emissions regulation may be really annoying, but it's here to stay. But the emissions doesn't mean Cummins engines are designed with less reliability and durability. It's the opposite. That's another big selling point for the isb. They may put them in ram trucks, but they are designed to be a multipurpose engine with much more stress applied to them and still keep the full reliability and durability.
They're probably alright now with the urea setup, but the ones with the regenerate setup are nothing but problems. The one I'm driving now pours more black smoke than a 79 Mack, I'm not shitting

The Cat's are an even WORSE story. I've heard plenty of horror stories about them, and the one 08 Pete that we have with a Cat in it has spent more time in the shop than on the road. I think it's one of the lowest mileage trucks we have right now...LOL

True statement on the N14's, I remember when they were the big deal.

Oh, and it is true that the emissions is really annoying, but it's not here to stay on my truck. Nothing kills a diesel motor faster than an EGR setup. I just got my damn truck out of the dealer because it was throwing a high exhaust pressure CEL, and they said that the EGR tube was plugged up, which I don't care if you have a Ford, Dodge, Chevy or what, they all have problems with the EGR and emissions in general. That's going to be my first mod to my truck is to get rid of that crap. Period

Quick Reply: Whats the best diesels you would but right now?????