Whats the best diesels you would but right now?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011 | 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99bluehawk
Whats garbage about Dodge? Everyone is talking about personal experience. Lets here yours.
the entire interior is garbage. my friend has a 2000 cummins and the interior is complete **** along with every ******* dodge up to like 06 whenever they changed again. i cant stand how their cheap *** ******* dashes crack and break if you just look at the thing wrong. not to mention they have the worst towing capacity than ford and gm. im sorry but i would not buy a dodge anything. except a 70 cuda!

Originally Posted by 00fastta
CUMMINS not cummings. Learn it right. We can't stand it when people say that.

Buy a Cummins and don't look back. 7 main caps for 6 pistons or 5 main caps for 8 pistons? The only engine configuration that is three phase a.k.a. in full natural balance. Plus it also has a very very long stroke. So the longer the stroke the bigger moment produced. It also has a grid heater- none of those damn pos glowplugs. Plus the engine was designed by a company that has been designing/making diesel engines since the 1920s.
i guess you missed the part were i said that the drivetrain is good but the rest of the truck sucks. aaaaaaaaaaand just because a company has been building engines since the 1920's doesnt mean they are the best. i mean ford has been making engines since around the same time and i mean they have stepped up their game in the past few years but in my honest opinion the sbc/ls series motors still tops ford.
Old 08-07-2011 | 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Never had a problem with my LLY. No overheating problems or injectors/pumps (yet). Of course it's in a Kodiak. I know it's the same engine, but it has a different computor.
im not saying the lly is a bad motor but most people on the forums with an lly have the overheating problems, kinda like knock sensors on a ls motor.
Old 08-07-2011 | 07:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
the entire interior is garbage. my friend has a 2000 cummins and the interior is complete **** along with every ******* dodge up to like 06
You drive a 2002 Camaro. It must be a nightmare for you to have to sit behind the wheel of all that Fisher Price plastic-filled horror of an interior. LOL.

2000 Dodge interiors are horrible. 2003-2005 were actually a little nicer than the 2006-2009 interiors. My 2004 dually Laramie had a very nice interior, which I still miss. The '06 interiors were a downgrade in material and plastic quality. My '06 interior isn't as nice as my '04 was.

Old 08-07-2011 | 12:43 PM
Teching In

not to mention they have the worst towing capacity than ford and gm.
Where are you getting your information from? This is straight from Chevys website http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-3500hd/ looks like dodge is on top of the towing
Old 08-07-2011 | 03:55 PM
On The Tree

the entire interior is garbage. my friend has a 2000 cummins and the interior is complete **** along with every ******* dodge up to like 06 whenever they changed again. i cant stand how their cheap *** ******* dashes crack and break if you just look at the thing wrong. not to mention they have the worst towing capacity than ford and gm. im sorry but i would not buy a dodge anything. except a 70 cuda!

i guess you missed the part were i said that the drivetrain is good but the rest of the truck sucks. aaaaaaaaaaand just because a company has been building engines since the 1920's doesnt mean they are the best. i mean ford has been making engines since around the same time and i mean they have stepped up their game in the past few years but in my honest opinion the sbc/ls series motors still tops ford.
Cummins is the only company in the world that 9 out of 10 of their own customers make their own engines and are their competitor. Find me one company that does that. And you can't say CAT. They have pulled out of the on-highway market because they couldn't hack it. And we are not talking gas engines here. We are talking about high torque heat engines. Completely different ballgame in design. Cummins and duramax mid-range engines are the only engines non-in-house. They are both proven designs. Isuzu also knows their diesels. So before you say cummins doesn't make the best tell me why all their customers want cummins engines over their own engines.
Old 08-08-2011 | 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cummins is the only company in the world that 9 out of 10 of their own customers make their own engines and are their competitor. Find me one company that does that. And you can't say CAT. They have pulled out of the on-highway market because they couldn't hack it. And we are not talking gas engines here. We are talking about high torque heat engines. Completely different ballgame in design. Cummins and duramax mid-range engines are the only engines non-in-house. They are both proven designs. Isuzu also knows their diesels. So before you say cummins doesn't make the best tell me why all their customers want cummins engines over their own engines.
dude i guess you dont know how to read, i have nohing against the ******* cummins engine. if you dont understand that then im sorry but i cant help you anymore. i just hate everything else on a dodge that surrounds it. i dont like dodge and im sorry but you trying to convince me that it's a indestructable machine and that god himself built it is just retarded esp since i stated in my first post that i wasnt talking about the cummins so yeah your beating a dead horse buddy.
Old 08-08-2011 | 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Wow. You get the retard of the day award. Best low end toque comes from the long stroke inline six. Not the short stroke v8. The torque from those is much higher in the range. But when you get the momentum regardless of truck you will win. Same with the ford. It has better low end torque because of the longer stroke. That's driver specific.
An you get the privilege of licking my nuts. I was just making a point. You can look this stuff up all day and what it boils down to is different years for different makes. So pretty much to each their own!
Old 08-08-2011 | 04:46 PM
On The Tree

dude i guess you dont know how to read, i have nohing against the ******* cummins engine. if you dont understand that then im sorry but i cant help you anymore. i just hate everything else on a dodge that surrounds it. i dont like dodge and im sorry but you trying to convince me that it's a indestructable machine and that god himself built it is just retarded esp since i stated in my first post that i wasnt talking about the cummins so yeah your beating a dead horse buddy.
Yeah. I see your point. I just wasn't paying attention before...sorry.
Old 08-08-2011 | 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94fixerTA
An you get the privilege of licking my nuts. I was just making a point. You can look this stuff up all day and what it boils down to is different years for different makes. So pretty much to each their own!
Putting videos of them doing incredibly stupid **** like that...that they were never designed for is pretty annoying. So yeah...to each their own.
Old 08-09-2011 | 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The newer Dodge interiors are much nicer than ours Ross. Too bad they drink diesel though. I almost bought one a few months ago, until I spoke to a few owners that were kinda irritated with 14-15 mpg without towing anything. I hear good things about the '11+ GM diesels though, supposedly they get 19-20 avg with the pig **** setup.
I bought my wife a 2011 Ram 2500 MC, diesel, Fully loaded, Larmie, 4x4 SRW, 3.73 rear gear. She drives if from conroe to the woodlands 5-6 days a week, was delivered with 3mi and has just over 7k miles on it now. With mixed driving she does, her avg mpg is usually 14.3mpg according to the computer (Mechanically stock). The interior is very nice, doesn't rattle..yet, and she can fit 3 kids/tweens and 2 full sized dogs comfortably in the back seats. No complaints with anything but the mpg she gets. I will get some shots of the trucks interior. I like the truck and it rides great, and I hate the way trucks ride.
The truck did go in for a warranty issue with the EGR leaking @1500mi, ended up being a loose bolt installed at the factory.

We are about to take it on a road trip to Virginia and I will do hand mpg calculations vs computer mpg. Along with long trip comfort and reliability issues we run into. We will also be towing a 21ft boat in the mountains a few times next week so I will have a feel for it loaded.

The only diesel truck I can compare it too personally is a 2006 or 07 Ford F250 my sister in law owns. Her tuck isn't fully loaded but the interior feels far less sturdy. the ac vents are garbage and at 6'5" 300lbs I am not comfortable driving or riding in it. I towed a 2 horse (slant, w/ tack, bumper pull) trailer with it loaded with gear and 2 horses. It was a miserable ride and I didn't like the way the trailer felt behind the truck. It wouldn't stop to save its own life, and wasn't smooth on the hwy.

For what its worth..
9 out of 10 of hotshot drivers I see drive dodge trucks. I generally have 4-5 hotshot loads in a month.
Old 08-09-2011 | 02:27 PM
10 Second Club

well all I can say from a truck drivers view is that the Cummins is a true diesel engine 'and I have it in my rig and I tell u what I love it lots of power
Old 08-09-2011 | 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I realize that. They are very nice. I just wanted to post up a pic of my fully loaded Laramie's interior to show the 06-08 can be pretty nice. I think a lot of people base their opinion of those trucks's interior quality on base SLT models with the scratchy cloth seats and lack of options.
The heated leather seats, NAV, Infinity Sound, storage and lighting, sunroof, etc really go a long way.
I went for a ride the other day in a 2011 Cummins Laramie with the seat coolers and was very impressed with the quality.

I want this truck but my wife said that she would kick my *** if I bought something else before she trades up.

http://www.trucksintexas.com/vehicle...io-Texas-78217
Old 08-09-2011 | 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mukyluk
I bought my wife a 2011 Ram 2500 MC, diesel, Fully loaded, Larmie, 4x4 SRW, 3.73 rear gear. She drives if from conroe to the woodlands 5-6 days a week, was delivered with 3mi and has just over 7k miles on it now. With mixed driving she does, her avg mpg is usually 14.3mpg according to the computer (Mechanically stock). The interior is very nice, doesn't rattle..yet, and she can fit 3 kids/tweens and 2 full sized dogs comfortably in the back seats. No complaints with anything but the mpg she gets. I will get some shots of the trucks interior. I like the truck and it rides great, and I hate the way trucks ride.
The truck did go in for a warranty issue with the EGR leaking @1500mi, ended up being a loose bolt installed at the factory.

We are about to take it on a road trip to Virginia and I will do hand mpg calculations vs computer mpg. Along with long trip comfort and reliability issues we run into. We will also be towing a 21ft boat in the mountains a few times next week so I will have a feel for it loaded.

The only diesel truck I can compare it too personally is a 2006 or 07 Ford F250 my sister in law owns. Her tuck isn't fully loaded but the interior feels far less sturdy. the ac vents are garbage and at 6'5" 300lbs I am not comfortable driving or riding in it. I towed a 2 horse (slant, w/ tack, bumper pull) trailer with it loaded with gear and 2 horses. It was a miserable ride and I didn't like the way the trailer felt behind the truck. It wouldn't stop to save its own life, and wasn't smooth on the hwy.

For what its worth..
9 out of 10 of hotshot drivers I see drive dodge trucks. I generally have 4-5 hotshot loads in a month.
Sounds like you are not having too many issues with it. What do you all do about the city driving and the regens every 150-200 miles? Emissions are the biggest problem with the new diesels. It's kinda ridiculous when the engine puts out cleaner air than the air itself.
Old 08-09-2011 | 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like you are not having too many issues with it. What do you all do about the city driving and the regens every 150-200 miles? Emissions are the biggest problem with the new diesels. It's kinda ridiculous when the engine puts out cleaner air than the air itself.
I took all that crap off. It's easy and cheap to do. It adds a ton of power (with a "programmer") and gives you about a 5mpg increase.
Old 08-09-2011 | 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

2008 Superduty.

Haven't had an issue although I only have 57k miles on it (bought brand new March 2009)

pulled out this 16.5k lb chipper that stuck/slid down into an "old creek" when my crew got randomly had a downpour on our site. Luckily I just got another new set of 35" M/Ts a couple weeks before getting sent out to this job

mileage is awful when stock

truck is a different animal with the emissions deleted. it is an absolute animal and makes crazy power.

Last edited by | Powered by Satan |; 08-09-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-09-2011 | 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
2008 Superduty.

I like your post.
Old 08-10-2011 | 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I like your post.

we need another track drinking day

rollllling coallllllllllll LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYbG9EG0ukc
Old 08-10-2011 | 03:18 PM
Launching!

I will try to remember to get/post pics of the interior tonight when she gets home from work.
I don't worry about the regens, I will be doing hand calculations Vs. computer readout on this trip, so I will know how it actually affects mileage. I am glad she doesn't have to deal with/worry about filling up a urea tank. She travels 105/336/i45/1488/242, then some back roads over to the 3 clinics (same dr. owns all 3) she works for in the woodlands. I am still on the fence about ripping out any of the egr stuff till her warranty is up. Since I am out of town for weeks at a time for work, I want her to be able to just have the dealer pick it up and fix it.
The one gripe I have with it is the drivers seat cooler doesn't work as well/as fast as the passenger side. Had the dealer check it out when it was in for the egr fix and they said all was normal. The service writer said its just the way the ac is routed for the seats.
Old 08-10-2011 | 08:33 PM
On The Tree

Ok. Well do tell when you do calculate. However, I disagree about the bad connotation towards urea. If you have urea you don't have to use as much egr...in fact much much less. Plus the isb already uses a small amount of egr as it is...like 9% or so. And look what 9% can do to an engine.
Old 08-14-2011 | 07:07 PM
Teching In

Here's the new Duramax at work 32k minus the truck. Pulled it with ease!

Quick Reply: Whats the best diesels you would but right now?????