Question about Jersey Village "Red Light" cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter if you're turning right, you still have to come to a complete stop first. If you don't you have ran a stop light. That's the law for every intersection in Texas and why she got the citation.

There's two in Magnolia and I have to go through one every day. For a while every day I would stop and go in my truck and never had a problem. One day I drove the wife's Firehawk. It has great brakes, gears, drag radials, short torque arm, and Pavlock suspension. So I stop and go and she still gets a ticket in the mail and hands it to me and says; "Wasn't me." because she won't take that corner at all after she got three warnings the first month, now she goes through a parking lot next to it EVERY time. I'm like WTF I never run that light because I know better. So I watch their stupid video and I'll admit to someone who doesn't know how fast that car can stop and then go it looks like I didn't but if you know about the car you can tell I did. I still haven't paid it, F'em. Now I always stop, wait, then go. Even if it's completely clear they will take any excuse they can to mail you the ticket. Truck not so much, red T/A no slack.

I got one in Tomball also in the truck, I did turn right on a red trying to beat it. I had to laugh at the video because my truck went through so fast it looks like fast forward and the rest of the traffic is slow motion. I won't pay that one either, F'em.

The only way I can see it effecting you is if you need something from the city like a permit and they hold the fine over your head to get it. Until then I don't give them any of my money.

Vernon
Old 08-16-2011, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

All those tickets come with a link to a video, it's simple just watch the video. It's the law that you MUST come to a complete stop at a red light before turning right. They do watch these videos before they send the ticket out btw so better watch the video yourself first before trying to fight it. If the other cars did the same as her pretty sure they got a ticket as well. If for some odd reason no link on the letter they sent you then call them up and tell them you want a video to see before you pay it's as simple as that.

I got a red light ticket myself a few months ago, was coming home at night come to a intersection that I turn right at that had just gone red and while there was no traffic coming I just rolled though (basically just yielded) and the camera got me because I didn't stop completely so I had to pay it.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Red light cameras are illegal and unconstitutional. The cameras in houston were turned back on due to the fact that houston could not afford to buy out of the contract.

I got one and paid it in the past but now that I am more educated on them I will never pay another one.

BTW your wife's trail blazer was traveling 14mph when the light turned red. She didn't stop.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

They also cost quite a bit to operate as well, so whatever money they make off them is just paying to keep them up and nothing else.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HTX
Red light cameras are illegal and unconstitutional. The cameras in houston were turned back on due to the fact that houston could not afford to buy out of the contract.

I got one and paid it in the past but now that I am more educated on them I will never pay another one.

BTW your wife's trail blazer was traveling 14mph when the light turned red. She didn't stop.
Ummm - WRONG!!!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/28271978/detail.html

The cameras were turned back on as a Federal judge in Texas ruled the proposition presented to the voters in Houston was invalid.

I'm not a fan of the cameras by any means, but get your facts straight.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Ummm - WRONG!!!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/28271978/detail.html

The cameras were turned back on as a Federal judge in Texas ruled the proposition presented to the voters in Houston was invalid.

I'm not a fan of the cameras by any means, but get your facts straight.
That ruling was made after the law suit was engaged. No politician is going to admit that a private company has the city by the *****. If houston kept the cameras off then the company would have taken a check in the range of $11,000,000. It was simply easier to turn the cameras back on.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I've gotten like 3 of those red light "tickets" in the mail. It's all BS, on every one of them I had passed the light when it was still yellow and it still flashed. I just ignore the notices, and as stated above, it has not affected my driving record. They can't do anything to prove it was you, and I think it's bullshit that cities allow these cameras in the first place.
This is a valid point, from a legal perspective.

But there is a bigger point that everyone is neglecting to mention. If these tickets are not sent via certified mail (requiring a signature), then they cannot prove that you even received the citation.

If it is sent by regular mail and you shred/burn it, there is not any way for them to meet their burden of proof that you received a citation. So there is no way to punish you for not paying it. But you have to stay completely "ignorant" to the situation at all times for this to work.

FYI -- This is the same reason that no one is ever prosecuted for skipping Jury Duty. They send the notice via regular mail. If you never respond or show up, then they cannot prove you received a jury summons.

With that said, I don't advocate skipping jury duty. It is one of the small ways that a normal citizen can actively participate in our justice system. And it is part of what makes our system (as screwed up as it can be) one of the best in the world. Unless you were on the jury for Casey Anthony. And in that case, **** you.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shake
This is a valid point, from a legal perspective.

But there is a bigger point that everyone is neglecting to mention. If these tickets are not sent via certified mail (requiring a signature), then they cannot prove that you even received the citation.

If it is sent by regular mail and you shred/burn it, there is not any way for them to meet their burden of proof that you received a citation. So there is no way to punish you for not paying it. But you have to stay completely "ignorant" to the situation at all times for this to work.

FYI -- This is the same reason that no one is ever prosecuted for skipping Jury Duty. They send the notice via regular mail. If you never respond or show up, then they cannot prove you received a jury summons.

With that said, I don't advocate skipping jury duty. It is one of the small ways that a normal citizen can actively participate in our justice system. And it is part of what makes our system (as screwed up as it can be) one of the best in the world. Unless you were on the jury for Casey Anthony. And in that case, **** you.
Exactly, but if you respond, then you are on their radar and they have you by short hairs. Otherwise they cannot prove a thing, just that you were the last registered owner of the vehicle in question.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

freind received one in houston and the pic they sent with ticket showed a big grin on his face looking stright into the front windsheild no way he could pass it off

Johnny
Old 12-26-2012, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just googled this.... I ALSO GOT A RED LIGHT TICKET in the mail last week, from that same god damn intersection.

I did not run it, I stopped. Took a right (it is NOT illegal to turn right on red there) and took a right.

I'm not paying that ************. **** them.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Well don't answer it then. My wife was all bent because they sent the ticket to her since that car is in her name. So I sent it back saying I was driving and started ignoring them again. Now they sent her another letter saying they have notified the tax office to withhold any registration/transfer until it's paid. I don't see how they can hold an owner responsible when they already have evidence someone else was driving.

Anybody know?

Vernon
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These ticket's are unconstitutional and deprive citizens of due process. Don't pay them, don't respond to them, just throw the notices in the trash. They cannot affect your driving record or your ability to register your vehicle and the collection effort cannot be reported to the credit bureaus. The threatening letters are just BS trying to trick you into paying them.

These things will go away nationally once someone with more time and money than those of us who work for a living gets tired of their crap and sues them in federal court.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:38 PM

Default red light tickets

99FRC i like the way you think. I have recently drove my wife's car through the same intersection and I have got a bit of time on my hands to look into the legalities on this issue. I will at least start with the transit authority and see if we can level the playing field by putting up actual signs at a reasonable distance that will give motorist an opportunity for an alternate detour.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My wife has gotten 2 of these. I pay them because it said if you didn't they would send it to a collections agency. I like our credit enough to just pay it. She did break the law and it's 75 bucks and doesn't go on her record.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FRC
These ticket's are unconstitutional and deprive citizens of due process. Don't pay them, don't respond to them, just throw the notices in the trash. They cannot affect your driving record or your ability to register your vehicle and the collection effort cannot be reported to the credit bureaus. The threatening letters are just BS trying to trick you into paying them.

These things will go away nationally once someone with more time and money than those of us who work for a living gets tired of their crap and sues them in federal court.
I'd really like a link to this please.

Quick Reply: Question about Jersey Village "Red Light" cameras