Question about Jersey Village "Red Light" cameras

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Jersey Village "Red Light" cameras

I thought these got voted down in the last election? My wife got a ticket turning right at a red light off Hwy 290. They sent us a pic of her SUV turning right at the red light. But my argument is that turning right on red is not against the law. And you can't tell from still photos (but you probably could from a video) that she did or did not stop first. As a matter of fact, the car in the lane to the left of her, actually passed her while turning right also, which is obvious from the photo. I can post the photos later on, right now I'm just wondering if you guys can give me some suggestions on how to successfully fight this bullshit citation. I've already got a date scheduled to go in and present our case.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

The city did vote NO on the cameras and they were turned off for awhile. However US District Court judge Hughes ruled against the vote and overturned the ballot. ATS is the company that owns the cameras and is owned by George Hittner, who's father David Hittner happened to serve with judge Hughes whom overturned the ballot. I see a real conflict of interest there! The cameras are back on for now, but perhaps they will be turned off soon. City council is voting this Wednesday with regard to the ATS camera contract.

FWIW, the citation does not impact your driving record. I refused to pay mine and it has not stopped me from renewing my license or registration. They really can't do much other than turn it over to credit collector, which I will fight as well.

**EDIT**I see you responded and will fight the ticket. If you lose, you will have to pay the fine since it will be court ordered at the point. I simply did not respond to my notice.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 08-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
The city did vote NO on the cameras and they were turned off for awhile. However US District Court judge Hughes ruled against the vote and overturned the ballot. ATS is the company that owns the cameras and is owned by George Hittner, who's father David Hittner happened to serve with judge Hughes whom overturned the ballot. I see a real conflict of interest there! The cameras are back on for now, but perhaps they will be turned off soon. City council is voting this Wednesday with regard to the ATS camera contract.

FWIW, the citation does not impact your driving record. I refused to pay mine and it has not stopped me from renewing my license or registration. They really can't do much other than turn it over to credit collector, which I will fight as well.
That’s some shady ****!!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jersy Village is a different City and was not affected by the Houston vote. That camera has never been turned off as well as the camera in Tomball.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Jersy Village is a different City and was not affected by the Houston vote. That camera has never been turned off as well as the camera in Tomball.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell her not to run the reds anymore
Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
Tell her not to run the reds anymore
That's just the point. She didn't. She stopped, then turned right which is not against the law. The photograph doesn't prove that she didn't stop. If she were halfway across an intersection while the light was red, it would have been a different story.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Check the ticket, see if it provides a link to where a video of what she did can be viewed.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by htownws6
That's just the point. She didn't. She stopped, then turned right which is not against the law. The photograph doesn't prove that she didn't stop. If she were halfway across an intersection while the light was red, it would have been a different story.
I know where you are talking about making a rt on Jones from 290. I worry bout that all the time, I even make sure that I time it right. If you turn right even from a stop the traffic that is coming from your left has the cameras. It makes it look like you were coming from under the over pass. I think if you talk to them and explain they will work with you. I see it happen all the time.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a free lawyer. Have them put you on the stand and ask if you were driving. Say no. In the cross plead the fifth. They have no evidence it was you.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Jersey village will getcha! Oh and Tomball now has a ultralight chopper.. Saw them moving it in the dead of night one night last week. Wonder who paid for that?.....
Old 08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Second Club

It was at FM 529 turning right (north) onto 290. Still, same exact situation as Jones and 290:

As you can see, 3 other cars ran the red light too. Wonder if they got a ticket? Also, looks like she had her turn signal on (moral victory, LOL)
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

I think that light colored Honda in the middle of the intersection (in the first photo) was what set off the camera. Who's to say she didn't just get off the brakes from a stop and rolled forward. The cars on the outside lane are passing her!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Launching!

that camera takes random photos when there are no cars anywhere near the intersection. I leave for work at 4 am and go that way, driving up to and away from that camera, i always see it flashing.

Just a little info you might use against the company. maybe video thier faulty camera.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got a ticket at the Jones and 290 camera, I barely rolled it and I got a 75 dollar citation.. I was pissed but payed it anyways, I thought 75 dollars was not something to make a really big deal out of but whatever
Old 08-16-2011, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've gotten like 3 of those red light "tickets" in the mail. It's all BS, on every one of them I had passed the light when it was still yellow and it still flashed. I just ignore the notices, and as stated above, it has not affected my driving record. They can't do anything to prove it was you, and I think it's bullshit that cities allow these cameras in the first place.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM

I have got 2 red light tickets from Jersey Village all doing the same thing you wife did. It has been a couple years since I have got them and have not paid them a dime cause there is no punishment if you don't. I say just ignore it
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Storm Trooper
I got a ticket at the Jones and 290 camera, I barely rolled it and I got a 75 dollar citation.. I was pissed but payed it anyways, I thought 75 dollars was not something to make a really big deal out of but whatever
This is why they are still around.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
this is why they are still around.
x2!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Ive gotten a few of them too. The right on red thing is not in there vocabulary.

Quick Reply: Question about Jersey Village "Red Light" cameras