Why trade in a 2010 or 2011 Camaro SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I had a 2008 CTS when they first came out. We paid $45K for it. With a 304hp V6. Your CTS has aluminum suspension parts because it lacks the LS3 under the hood, and costs more than a Camaro does when equipped with identical engines. The V6 Camaros with the same 3.6L engine are in the mid-$20K range. Your CTS is a good $10-15K more car.

I agree the Camaro should be lighter, but some of you guys make it sound like 12.9s stock is slow for $33K brand new. With the Brembo brakes, independent axle, MUCH better interior, LS3, dual exhaust, HID headlights, factory cowl hood, Bluetooth, etc.... all of which are better than the 4th gen.

Keep in mind that loaded WS6's and SS's back when they were brand new were also in the $28-32K range new. That was over 10 years ago now. If anything, that makes the current Camaro SS an even better value than the 4th gen was at it's time.

My beef is that they went the exact opposite direction of the Mustang. You cant even get a factory gearing option?

Its a great car, dont get me wrong, but not what it could of been for the price. They shouldnt of marketed the car towards the Infinity/lexus/bmw nerd market. Ask the average ss owner what their prevous car was. Again it worked for them and its selling great, just not what enthusiasts expect from a Camaro. I would gladly trade blutooth streaming (which the caddy doesnt even have) and a usb port or heated seats for aluminum components upfront, or a gear option or a brake option or a smaller wheel option or a live axle option.

The all together package is a great car, but its the dozen or so small and not so small things that make the car a pain in the *** to work with.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The SS is a smoking deal for the money, they just also made it the car for everyone. The true enthusiest is losing out slightly by having the bling and the show with the total package but the car manufacturers have learned the hard way that 1/4 mile times do not sell the car by itself. Its a total package deal and you either like it or leave it. Based on the numbers, a whole lot more people are liking it then not.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
My beef is that they went the exact opposite direction of the Mustang. You cant even get a factory gearing option?
Camaro has outsold Mustang since it came out. They've sold more 5th gens by now than all LS1 4th gen years combined. I'd say Chevy got it right this time around. Even Ford is wondering what happened, the Mustang has always been on top.

Also, these 5th gens shouldn't be compared to 4th gens at current pricing. I had one of the first LS1 f-bodies in the Houston area back in late '97 when they came out. Broke asses couldn't afford 4th gens back then, they were all $25K+ cars at the time. Even back then people complained about them being too expensive, and too modern to modify. There was no aftermarket for LS1 cars back then, we had to create our own mods for them. This is not so for the 5th gen, these cars had mods available before the cars even came out, due to them being similar to the G8 suspension-wise and having the LS3 under the hood from the Corvette already.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I still don't understand how 4th gen owners can down a 5th gen. It's like a C5 owner ragging on the C6.

5th Gens are better in every way, shape and form. Sure. They might "feel" heavy and look big, but they outperform a 4th gen all day long (stock for stock).
Old 08-31-2011, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I still don't understand how 4th gen owners can down a 5th gen. It's like a C5 owner ragging on the C6.

5th Gens are better in every way, shape and form. Sure. They might "feel" heavy and look big, but they outperform a 4th gen all day long (stock for stock).
And they get outperformed in every way shape and form from the new Mustang.

All they had to do was have the car as it is, but give the damn thing some performance options. I know they are selling great and I applaud GM for what they have done, just want some options. Not the garbage RS headlight taillight mod rubbish for $1,300.

Ive owned all gens but the 1st, and its bar none the best car they have built, but the camaro is supposed to be a lava breathing volcano destroying performance car...first. Not performance as an afterthought. Im hoping they get it right come the next revamp, but as of now the platform is already porking up to 5thgen weights.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ss1129
And they get outperformed in every way shape and form from the new Mustang.

All they had to do was have the car as it is, but give the damn thing some performance options. I know they are selling great and I applaud GM for what they have done, just want some options. Not the garbage RS headlight taillight mod rubbish for $1,300.

Ive owned all gens but the 1st, and its bar none the best car they have built, but the camaro is supposed to be a lava breathing volcano destroying performance car...first. Not performance as an afterthought. Im hoping they get it right come the next revamp, but as of now the platform is already porking up to 5thgen weights.
The new 5.0 Mustang is definitely no slouch. It will hang right with a new M3 on a road course.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
Teching In

blindspots-they can be fixed just adjust your mirrors and you'll be good to go

1/4mile- depends on the driver, 60ft time and your launch and if you get a really good launch without wheel hop you can easily get under a 13 sec quarter mile STOCK with the LS3 or L99

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21013

with the 5.0's yes they are pretty fast and have run below 13 sec quarter miles stock, but so has the Camaro and like I stated above it depends on the driver

if you correctly mod and tune a 5th gen Camaro you can easily have a fast car that handles well and of course looks better than the Mustang anyday

the car might be $30k+ for an SS but the value of the car has stayed up since its release even with being mass produced. GM definitely did a great job with this generation Camaro and as Nineball stated it has outsold the Mustang since it came out in March of 2009.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I had a 2008 CTS when they first came out. We paid $45K for it. With a 304hp V6. Your CTS has aluminum suspension parts because it lacks the LS3 under the hood, and costs more than a Camaro does when equipped with identical engines. The V6 Camaros with the same 3.6L engine are in the mid-$20K range. Your CTS is a good $10-15K more car.

I agree the Camaro should be lighter, but some of you guys make it sound like 12.9s stock is slow for $33K brand new. With the Brembo brakes, independent axle, MUCH better interior, LS3, dual exhaust, HID headlights, factory cowl hood, Bluetooth, etc.... all of which are better than the 4th gen.

Keep in mind that loaded WS6's and SS's back when they were brand new were also in the $28-32K range new. That was over 10 years ago now. If anything, that makes the current Camaro SS an even better value than the 4th gen was at it's time.
Agreed.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think GM got it right. Is it perfect? No. It is a well balanced blend of performance and options that a lot of people like. Those saying it's too expensive for what it is forget how much fully loaded LS1 F bodies used to cost. Plug the numbers into an inflation calculator and you'll see the new Camaro is a great bargain.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is an example. My 2002 Formula Firehawk. This was a total MSRP of $31,962 - and it was just a Formula with cloth interior. A Firehawk Trans Am with leather would be a few grand more. This was 10 years ago.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

From reading a few post it sounds to me like if the "Coyote" motor was never released in the stangs someone would be alot happier.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Well, I can say one thing. I definately prefer the 4th gen trans am to the 5th gen trans am.....oh wait a minute....

that's my biggest complaint. GM should have never killed off pontiac or the trans am.

I know there are 3rd party companies making them and some of them do look really good, but at the end of the day, it's still titled as a chevy camaro.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:07 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

I would never buy a fifth gen only because the price. Msrp is very reasonable but dealers are still adding 5-10 thousand more. For $41,000 I'd rather have a slightly used CTSV or C6
Old 09-03-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

IMO I don't think the price is that bad on the 5th gen camaro. Comparing it to the new 5.0 mustang its way cheaper to go into a ls3 to do a cam install or other engine modifications. Only thing the mustang has is its lighter. You can make 500 rwhp with a stock ls3 cam only in a stalled auto Ive seen it done. Also when comparing prices with the 4th gen fbody were talking 10 years ago the reg. z28s with cloth still sold for 25k-26k
with cloth interior. Here are some pics of the window sticker from my 2002 z28 and it sold for sticker price.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I think one of the reasons is the giganic brakes that are on the 2010-2012Camaro SS. Drag racers can't get the 15, 16, or even 17" rims with slicks on the back and take the car to the track. The huge rear brakes that GM designed will not allow for smaller rims and tires.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BlkStealth
I think one of the reasons is the giganic brakes that are on the 2010-2012Camaro SS. Drag racers can't get the 15, 16, or even 17" rims with slicks on the back and take the car to the track. The huge rear brakes that GM designed will not allow for smaller rims and tires.
Maybe because GM never designed the car for drag racing?
Old 09-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dr Tran
Maybe because GM never designed the car for drag racing?
I have to disagree with you Dr.T. There is no harm in taking a Camaro SS to the track to go drag racing. GM tests every car they design at the track to try to meet peoples needs, wants, demands, and environment.

Last edited by 1BlkStealth; 09-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ADJ1 approves this thread!

Seen about 5 or 6 LSA CTS-V's here in Texas going for 39K to 41K used with 15K to 30K miles so id jump on one of those before a stang or camaro... I think both the 2011 Stang and the 2010 Camaro both look sexxy but I'm not a fan of the coupe...
Old 09-03-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where are you people gettin these prices from.. my 2011 2ss/rs was 35k with stripes... only thing it didn't have was a sunroof and sixspeed auto... how the hell you getting 41k or msrp plus 10k? If you have bought one maybe you need not jump in this thread talking about cost of one..
Old 09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^what he said^^

Quick Reply: Why trade in a 2010 or 2011 Camaro SS?