Winding noise on my Trans Am *WITH VIDEO* please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
I's start with the rear end lube swap with Friction modifier first. Easy to do and insurance that it has been done and you know it's been done. A wheel bearing is also another possibility for sure. Put her on Jack stands and rotate the rear and front wheels and see if you can pinpoint it.
It almost sounds like a tire rubbing and at 65mph+ the steering wheel starts to vibrate
Old 09-30-2011, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking about that chirpy whine? Kinda hard to hear in the video.

It sounds like the noises I was getting as well. It went away after I put in motor/tranny poly mounts.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chon79
Are you talking about that chirpy whine? Kinda hard to hear in the video.

It sounds like the noises I was getting as well. It went away after I put in motor/tranny poly mounts.
LOL thats it???

Nevermind I read this wrong. Thought it read replaced motor tranny and mounts.

Last edited by rabiddog; 09-30-2011 at 11:05 AM. Reason: I'm a dumbass
Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Teching In

If its an axle bearing you'll hear it by loading up one side of the car or the other. Just drive in a circle, clockwise or counter. If the noise changes or disappears altogether then you know your problem is in that area.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ana1990
It almost sounds like a tire rubbing and at 65mph+ the steering wheel starts to vibrate
OK!! More info is helping! You may have multiple problems? Your steering wheel vibration is due to a front wheel out of balance. Simple $20 fix. Take wheels or car to tire shop and have them balanced.

As far as the noise it may have been an impact (pothole, curb, etc.) and knocked the wheel out of balance AND damaged the wheel bearing!
You surely need to isolate the noise to which side and front or back by putting it on a lift or jack stands. You can even just use a jack (since you'll not be under the car!!) and do one corner at a time till you locate it.
Spin the wheel, grab wheel top and bottom and try to jiggle, grab wheel with column locked and go left to right with the wheel. Tie rods can also be worn and cause some of this.

We are getting there!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
OK!! More info is helping! You may have multiple problems? Your steering wheel vibration is due to a front wheel out of balance. Simple $20 fix. Take wheels or car to tire shop and have them balanced.

As far as the noise it may have been an impact (pothole, curb, etc.) and knocked the wheel out of balance AND damaged the wheel bearing!
You surely need to isolate the noise to which side and front or back by putting it on a lift or jack stands. You can even just use a jack (since you'll not be under the car!!) and do one corner at a time till you locate it.
Spin the wheel, grab wheel top and bottom and try to jiggle, grab wheel with column locked and go left to right with the wheel. Tie rods can also be worn and cause some of this.

We are getting there!
LOL sorry about that, my husband is the one that drives it 65mph+ (don't want to get pulled over LOL) so I don't even notice those things. And yeah I'll get all those things checked out with him, Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Maybe someone supercharged your car and didnt tell you
Old 10-02-2011, 02:03 PM
FormerVendor

Videos can be distorted and vehicles cannot be "internet" diagnosed properly. Bring it to the shop for a true diagnosis and we can also give you an estimate on that exhaust system you want to have installed. We need more detail on this (exhaust only, or cats, etc?).